PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Issues

Drinking Issues

Demonic
02-10-2009, 04:12 PM
My new corn baby ate for the first time yesterday. I learned at the petstore that she hadnt eaten for a few WEEKS and felt it was time and that she settled in nicely. All I had to do was hold up the pinkie and she grabbed it and had it down in minutes. BUT, the only issue I'm having with her is that she wont drink unless I hold her body to the water. She had a taller dish and I thought that it was too tall, so I gave her one that is maybe 1/4 of an inch tall or less. I noticed that she hadn't had any water today so I carefully scooped her up (deadly sin after eating, I know) and allowed her to drink. She wasn't stressed and I'm sure that handling her for that minimal amount of time won't cause any harm to her.

My mom (a vet tech) said that she usually sees snakes in the office b/c of dehydration. Her snake knowledge stops there. How can I get her to drink and is there a health problem that can be causing this behavior? Her eyes are nice and clear. Scales smooth and she spends most the time hiding. Temp is between 78-85 depending on the time of day. The water is chlorine-free, as well.

EmJagsz
02-10-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm pretty sure there isn't that much to worry about.... Even if it may seem that she only drinks when you bring her to the water, she may be just as likely to drink water on her own when you aren't looking.

bitsy
02-10-2009, 04:46 PM
I noticed that she hadn't had any water today

Unless you've been watching her for the last 24 hours without so much as a bathroom break or a snooze,then you can't really say that. She just hasn't drunk while you've been with her, which I suspect leaves plenty of time for her to do her own thing. Corns are mainly active when you're asleep and most people rarely see their Corns drink as they do it at night.

Don't worry. If you've provided clean drinking water, then your Corn is drinking it - just very secretly! You can't force your Corn to drink and you don't need to. Trying to do this will just cause stress (to both of you).

Dehydration in Corns is most likely to be caused when they're kept at temperatures that are too high, or with an inadequate/dirty/non-existent water supply. None of these apply to the setup you've described.

I've only ever seen dehydration in the odd escapee that I've taken in as a rescue and that hadn't been able to find water for itself "in the wild". Signs of dehydration in Corns is a kind of sunken appearance along their bodies and especially the eyes - they look "wrinkly".

Don't worry - all sounds well with yours.

metallica fish
02-10-2009, 05:42 PM
i have never seen my new snake drink. had him over a month now. and he is really happy and active.

so i wouldnt worry

dwyn127
02-10-2009, 06:01 PM
i have never seen my new snake drink. had him over a month now. and he is really happy and active.

so i wouldnt worry

I have some years old I've never seen drink.

Demonic
02-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks all. I was really worried.

dakota11
02-10-2009, 10:05 PM
I spray the feed bin before feeding them and my snakes will lick the drops after they eat.I also give them the opportunity to drink after I hold them by putting them back in the viv near the water dish.Good luck with your new snake

medusacoils
02-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Back when I got my first baby, I used to worry about this. I never saw her drink and I always thought something was wrong with her. She also never developed any signs of being dehydrated, so I knew she had to be getting some water. Then one day I caught her and my mind was at ease. I really wouldn't worry, unless she is showing symptoms of dehydration. Which are wrinkles and lines around the neck area. She is probably fine though! One day, you will catch her and then you will know, everything is fine.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Demonic
02-11-2009, 09:27 AM
medusacoils, I'll definitely keep an eye out for signs of dehydration!

Caryl
02-13-2009, 12:05 PM
If seeing your baby drink is important to you, clean her water dish and change her water early in the evening or around sunset. Keep a discreet eye on her after you do this. A lot of snakes will come sample their fresh water. Not to worry if you don't see it though; as others have said, many never see their snakes drink.