PDA

View Full Version : What should she eat?

What should she eat?

TribalWolf77
02-14-2009, 11:46 AM
So Hashie's getting a bit pudgy cause I'm a mis-informed Daddy. I need to adjust her intake of food. The problem is I don't know what sized rodent to feed her. An adult mouse will not even make the tiniest bulge in her belly, so I've been giving her 3 every 2 weeks. I just recently learned that this is very taxing on her internal organs, so I need to stop doing it. I'm afraid a small rat will split her open, or she'll end up choking on it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please help me help my girl.

bitsy
02-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Once they're full-grown (and she'll safely be at roughly adult size if she's eating that much), having a bulge after eating isn't important and usually doesn't happen.

One adult mouse every two weeks will be fine. Search for "The Munson Plan" as a good starting point.

BobbyHill
02-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Also, note that bitsy said ONE adult mouse. :)

TribalWolf77
02-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Also, note that bitsy said ONE adult mouse. :)

Lol, I only hope Hashie can count that low. She's quite ferocious when she eats, otherwise she's a sweetie. Hope she doesn't realize that I'm not feeding her as much. I'll find out tomorrow.

We're also switching our almost adult Snow to adult mice starting tomorrow.

Eli173
02-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Actually you want her to realize it. The searching for food will be good exercise for her. ;)

TribalWolf77
02-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Actually you want her to realize it. The searching for food will be good exercise for her. ;)

Ah, good point! I thought not sitting still for the camera was exercise enough for her. :headbang:

TribalWolf77
02-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Update:

??? I swear she looked "swollen" a few days ago. When I took her out to feed last night she looked fine, nice and sleek. I bought a scale and weighed her, she's around 570 grams. Best estimate on length is around 4 feet.

I fed her one "small rat" last night ... if you ask me, I'd call it a large mouse (around 40 grams). Is this still too much food, given her age, weight, and length?

Oh, and our Snow (Skye) happily devoured his first adult mouse last night! :)

bitsy
02-17-2009, 06:03 AM
As long as you don't feed too often, that sounds fine. As it's an extra-large mouse, then I'd stick to fortnightly feeds.