PDA

View Full Version : Racks

Racks

henry2009
02-14-2009, 03:48 PM
I see a lot of racks for the baby and adult snakes, im just wondering if that is okey for the snake. It just doesn't seem like a lot of room for the snakes to move around. I want to build my own rack, but i feel like it is mean to the snake. Whats everyone opinion on house multiple snakes in these kind of tubaware containers.

pwargcm
02-14-2009, 09:59 PM
i think if you give each snake their own tub with proper heat, substrate, humidity and water. and also just do general cleaning and feeding. then it doesnt bother the snake at all. some people may see it as in humane. but my snakes really wouldnt be bothered by it. even though i dont have enough to get a rack yet. they dont bask or anything. only come out at night usually. so i dont see why not doing this. you can house more animals and its still a good home to them.

medusacoils
02-14-2009, 10:43 PM
I use a rack system for my snakes. I really don't see an issue with using a rack system. So long as the container that the snake is housed in, is an appropriate size. It has adequate ventilation, heat, is clean, water and you offer regular handling sessions for them to get some exercise. They can live and be quite content with this setup. Corns don't climb a whole bunch, but some do (I know), and it's primarily the floor space that is needed.

Actually, it could be safer for them, because if you have a number of snakes(probably the only reason to have a rack system) then all of your animals are more accessible and easier to monitor. These systems take up less room from your home and if are easy to maintain.

ZoologyGirl
02-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Give a snake what they need (proper temps, food, sanctuary, etc...) and I'm sure they are fine. I'm just guessing here...but i bet if a snake can find that in the wild; perfect temp, food, sanctuary, etc all in one place...then i doubt they would move much and risk predation anyway.

henry2009
02-15-2009, 06:41 AM
Ok thanks guys it makes me feel better about housing in the racks now.