PDA

View Full Version : Feeding mouse parts

Feeding mouse parts

Carinata
02-17-2009, 12:16 AM
Well I have a heralds snake that eats mouse parts pinkie heads right now. IS there any way to supplement that to make it healthier?

HoosierHerper
02-17-2009, 01:43 AM
The only thing I can think of right of hand is your everyday reptile calcium powder. I would dust the heads or parts with it to make sure your little guy/gal is getting all the calcium he needs when he is that little, hopefully you won't have to feed parts so long that this becomes a problem.
And/Or a general reptile vitamin, same thing, I'd dust the parts with it...

Again, just a guess...I Googled for a minute and couldn't find too much on the subject...

-Josh

kathylove
02-17-2009, 02:03 AM
Supplementing snakes (and many other herps) is problematical because (AFAIK), nobody has done the research to know exactly what the nutritional requirements are for each species (unlike cats, dogs, and farm animals). And too much of many minerals and vitamins (especially the fat soluble vitamins) is just as bad as too little. If you want to use a general reptile vitamin and mineral powder or liquid, it is probably a good idea to use it sparingly, and only occasionally. If you skip supplementing some of the feedings, the snake will be able to eliminate the possible excess during the non-supplemented time.

If it is possible, try to freeze the smallest pink available, and then cut it in half lengthwise while still partially frozen, and feed one half each feeding. It can be a little messy, but not too bad if done while frozen, and then fed on plastic or glass so it can't stick to anything. The advantage is that the snake will get the whole pinkie eventually, and will have less need of extra supplements.

Carinata
02-17-2009, 03:19 PM
I have tried very hard but the snake is very very very small and there is very little know about the snake. I have to scent al his food with a frog but I will try thanks kathy

kathylove
02-17-2009, 03:32 PM
If you can catch a lot of frogs in the spring, you can freeze each one in an ice cube so it won't dry out. If frogs are its natural food, then it might stay healthier if you can feed frogs much of the time.

Carinata
02-17-2009, 03:38 PM
I have asked around and it dies if it eats frogs from around here :( :(

kathylove
02-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Who said that? Which kind of frogs?

I have heard that some frogs can have toxic skin secretions (Cuban tree frogs for sure, and maybe leopard frogs?). But we have fed local tree frogs to exotic tree vipers without a problem. I don't really know anything about your snake, or even your local frogs, for that matter. But I would check into it more, because it doesn't make sense that ALL of your native frogs would be toxic to an exotic snake that eats frogs (which sounds like a frog eater if it you say it wants frog scented pinks).

Carinata
02-17-2009, 03:46 PM
SOmeone from a South African herp forum said that

kathylove
02-17-2009, 03:48 PM
How do they know? Did they try feeding frogs from your area to their snakes?

Carinata
02-17-2009, 03:50 PM
I guess. I don't want to take any chances with my snakes life. IT is a very special snake

kathylove
02-17-2009, 04:01 PM
Maybe you can go back to the same forum and ask the same people how they know that. And ask if there are specific frog species they know about, or if they are making a general statement. Maybe you can resurrect the same thread in which it was originally discussed.

chaoticstone
02-17-2009, 09:42 PM
SOmeone from a South African herp forum said that

Was just going to throw this out there. South Africa is far off from being Virginia. They may have assumed that you were from there, being as I'm sure that they have multiple species of frogs there that we don't have here in the US. Also I believe that the herald snake will eat fish, if I'm thinking of the right snake it's also called Black templed cat snake. (don't quote me on this maybe someone else can confirm this or do a quick google search)

Carinata
02-17-2009, 09:46 PM
I have only heard the term black templed cat snake once I use it most of the time. Where did you find that name? I use many names for the snake black templed cat snake is my favorite but hare to type out.

Carinata
02-18-2009, 08:14 AM
I got it sorted out. She is in shed now. I think i can hook my mom on gettin a pair of mice and freezin the day olds which if cut lenghtwise she could take and then feed off the adults to the rat snakes

kathylove
02-18-2009, 11:37 AM
Sounds like a plan!