PDA

View Full Version : another bad shed...

another bad shed...

Baller99k
02-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Humidity was 60 to 70% all week.

Shed in pieces...I gave her a bath to get the rest off, and it all came off without my contact by itself..

That was yesterday.

Today I noticed a tiny bit on the tip of her tail, that she had already lost a sliver of due to her last bad shed...

So now I am giving her a bath again, hoping the tip shed comes off...

any advice?

medusacoils
02-17-2009, 10:43 PM
After her bath, gently and I mean gently slide your finger nail across the edge of the skin from head to toe. You should be able to get it off easily.

RobbiesCornField
02-17-2009, 10:45 PM
I know that Nanci did a bad shed thread a while back you should check out. Comes with complete pictoral instruction.

Baller99k
02-17-2009, 10:55 PM
The only thing that seems to be a problem is the tail tip. If I try to gently slide it off and it doesn't work, how long should I leave her in the bath for?

What if it still doesn't come off?

RobbiesCornField
02-17-2009, 10:59 PM
The only thing that seems to be a problem is the tail tip. If I try to gently slide it off and it doesn't work, how long should I leave her in the bath for?

What if it still doesn't come off?

About 20-30 minutes.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56170&highlight=Shed

If it's on the tip of the tail, and it still doesn't come off, there's a chance that it could constrict the blood flow, kill that portion of the tail, and it'll fall off.

Maloof
02-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Do a search for Nanci's bad shed guide as it is very good. Most soak for 20-60 minutes. If after the soak the shed on the tail doesn't come off you can try to gently rub the tip of the tail with vegetable oil and it can come off.

Iguanagirl8662
02-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Next time she is in blue try putting a moist hide in the tank for her, that should help a lot.

Baller99k
02-17-2009, 11:05 PM
The whole week before the shed I had high humidity and a moist hide..

I am gona leave the bath for an hour. And use vege oil if its still sticks...

StormRose
02-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Those tail tips can be stubborn. When mine leave a piece there, 20 minutes in a bath usually doesn't do the job. I just check the temp of the water every 20 minutes and will leave them in there for up to an hour. Usually it's gone before the hour is up, but if not, take her out and try again in 6-12 hours.

dizeedoo
02-17-2009, 11:43 PM
I just check the temp of the water every 20 minutes and will leave them in there for up to an hour.

Can I check what you mean about "bath" and "leave them in there" do you actually put them in the bath tub or do you use a container?

Do you stay in the room? I can't imagine leaving but I've never had to bath my boy before and I'm very curious.

RobbiesCornField
02-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Can I check what you mean about "bath" and "leave them in there" do you actually put them in the bath tub or do you use a container?

Do you stay in the room? I can't imagine leaving but I've never had to bath my boy before and I'm very curious.

Check out the link I posted. It should answer those questions.

MyLittleGuyCyrus
02-18-2009, 12:00 AM
Hope you get this taken care of! I was having bad sheds too.....I had the humidity where it needed to be and I also would place a moist hide in the viv (which Cyrus hated), I would still get a shed in pieces. So, I now give Cyrus a bath everyday from when he gets OUT of blue and before he sheds. He typically takes three days from going out of blue to actual shed, so he gets one bath everyday for about three days. I leave him in the bath for about 20 minutes. I also only put in about 1/2 inch of water in a shoe box sized sterilite container so he can easily keep his head above the water. I make sure the water is room temprature to the touch. I had my very first full shed with Cyrus once I started this. Good Luck!

dizeedoo
02-18-2009, 12:15 AM
Check out the link I posted. It should answer those questions.

Yes indeed.... glad I did too. A picture paints a thousand words.
Thanks Robbie.

cornsnakeboy12
02-18-2009, 12:26 AM
After her bath, gently and I mean gently slide your finger nail across the edge of the skin from head to toe. You should be able to get it off easily.

Be careful but it will work but if he/she starts squirmining more than usaual stop:twoguns:

StormRose
02-18-2009, 08:21 AM

I put them in a lidded container with a wet towel, just like in the link that Robbie posted, and I usually plop them on the couch next to me while I watch TV so that I can see them in the container while they're taking a bath. :)

I like to keep a close eye on them to make sure they're not getting too stressed out.

medusacoils
02-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Be careful but it will work but if he/she starts squirmining more than usaual stop:twoguns:

For some reason, I noticed that some people are afraid or something, of touching their snakes. As long as you are not forcing a premature shed and have soaked them in wet sphagnum moss, given them a bath or whatever, then you shouldn't hurt them trying to peel off a tiny tail shed. Just be gentle! Everyone, at some point is going to deal with this. I get it a lot during the winter months. I have always soaked them a time or two and just peeled it off if I can't get it off using a damp towel. I have had no problems, injuries or dermatitis yet!!

Don't be afraid of handling your snake, be gentle and don't panic. It will come off with a little work!:D

Good Luck

Wayne