PDA

View Full Version : prolapse/not moving tail

prolapse/not moving tail

cornsnakeluver
02-19-2009, 12:08 AM
okay-My snake had a prolapse (she is female) took her to the vet last Friday, he put everything back in her and stapled her vent closed, but with a opening for her to be able to go to the restroom. Monday was recheck she was okay. Tuesday she was supposed to eat, she is refusing to eat and hasn't eaten in two weeks. Today it looks like she doesn't have any muscle control in the lower part of her body (above the vent-all the way to the end of her tail). She has a recheck with the vet on Friday. But I am afraid she is suffering - any body have an experience? or just prayers for me??

Jenstar
02-19-2009, 12:41 AM
I've never had any experience with prolapses, but maybe you could see about making her appointment sooner. You and your snake are in my prayers. I hope everything is ok.

RulinMJT
02-19-2009, 03:03 AM
I'm really sorry about your situation and i hope your snake gets better. I honestly dont know anything about prolapse tho. Just wanna show some support. I would be devastated if that happened to my snake. Hopefully the vet does the best he can and maybe some other members give some helpful advice. Best Wishes to you and your snake once again

caz223
02-19-2009, 03:13 AM
Prolapses are more common in aquatics like turtles.
I've never seen a snake with a prolapse, I know in turtles it hurts the little critters like the dickens.
I hope all turns out well.....

cyclone
02-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Im experiancing prolapse with my two yr old anery but I think its way past help. It looks to be bedding stuck at the base of her vent, and the vent scale has cracked in half. She has not eaten for me for atleast 2 months, she's the size of a yearling. I have her on her own and trying everything but money is very tight and I have tried to give her to people that can help but it all fell through. So my only opion is to watch her die and try everything to help her on my own. First visit to the vet cost $75 just to see him, money is really tight right now and I can not afford it at the present. I have put oil on the area and provided a moist area with damp paper towel, misting everyday, soaking her, and I even tried earlier on to shock it back in with cold water but nothing to this day. She is getting skinner, and smaller each day its really sad to watch a snake the you bred yourself die in front of you. Good luck with your.

danielle
02-19-2009, 01:34 PM
I have never had any of mine prolapse but I think you should have your recheck sooner than later. Did this happen during breeding? If she is unable to move from the vent area down she may be able to potty either- has she gone to the bathroom?. Is the area swollen as swelling can cut off circulation but with meds can be reduced which can restore movement just from my vet tech days, but you can't wait or the nerves in that area can die. I am sorry this happened to you I hope everything turns out o.k.

Nanci
02-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Im experiancing prolapse with my two yr old anery but I think its way past help. It looks to be bedding stuck at the base of her vent, and the vent scale has cracked in half. She has not eaten for me for atleast 2 months, she's the size of a yearling. I have her on her own and trying everything but money is very tight and I have tried to give her to people that can help but it all fell through. So my only opion is to watch her die and try everything to help her on my own. First visit to the vet cost $75 just to see him, money is really tight right now and I can not afford it at the present. I have put oil on the area and provided a moist area with damp paper towel, misting everyday, soaking her, and I even tried earlier on to shock it back in with cold water but nothing to this day. She is getting skinner, and smaller each day its really sad to watch a snake the you bred yourself die in front of you. Good luck with your.

You need to take this snake to the vet and have it euthanized. The vet probably wouldn't charge you for it, and if he did, it wouldn't be that much. You can't just let her suffer. If you can't afford the vet and he won't do it for free, then you should do it yourself.

BobbyHill
02-19-2009, 08:50 PM
You need to take this snake to the vet and have it euthanized. The vet probably wouldn't charge you for it, and if he did, it wouldn't be that much. You can't just let her suffer. If you can't afford the vet and he won't do it for free, then you should do it yourself.

I agree. This snake clearly isn't going to make it, so why make it spend its remaining days miserable?

Chip
02-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Agree, as usual, with Nanci. Put it in a container and place that in the 'fridge for a couple of hours. Then move that container to the freezer. Or empty CO2 into a bucket containing the snake. Both are more humane than starvation.

Drewby07
02-19-2009, 09:50 PM
As usual I agree with Nanci as well....I'd have ended her suffering in the freezer a long time ago.