PDA

View Full Version : bleeding during breeding

bleeding during breeding

anokas
02-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Hello everyone.
I'm with a large problem at hands... I put 2 of my corns together for breeding, an 04 creamsicle, and an 05 blizzard. Left them alone for about 10 minutes, so that they could "do their job alone", and when I got back to watch them there was a big amount of blood lying in the paper towels, wich I couldn't tell who it was from cause both of them had their cloacas closed and their bodies with blood all over.
I put them in their own containers, separatly, as they always were, only to find out, about 5 minutes later, that all that blood was from my female creamsicle, cause there was some more blood now in her container..
It didn't look like only blood, how can I put this? It had something else on it, like gelly, also red, on it...
The thing is she had also been bred by my stripped male last month, and he had an hemipenal prolapse, wich also resulted in a small amount of blood, but the creamsicle female was checked by the vet at the time and he said she was fine. Well, this was a month ago, with a shed 1 and 1/2 week ago, but she didn't lay any eggs and doesn't seem to be larger than shen was, so I don't think she's pregnant, that's why I thought about pairing her again, this time with my male blizzard.
What do you think could have happened?
I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow to have her checked out, but I would appreciate some thoughts, or some experiences like this one...
Thanks in advance

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8776/imagem064nl0.jpg

Pasodama
02-20-2009, 10:11 AM
I would suppose that a vet check wouldn't hurt.
However, it is not abnormal for blood to be present after breeding... be it a drop &/or obvious. This does not occur, with every breeding, but it can occur. If both snakes appear normal, I would suspect that this is all it is.
Any red/reddish "jelly-like" substance could just be semen that has blood mixed in it.

anokas
02-20-2009, 02:33 PM
I took her to the vet today, and he said that aparently there's nothing wrong with her, but I'm keeping an eye on her to make sure... He also said that sometimes it does happen, but usually it's just some drops, not all that amount, at least neither him or me had ever heard about it...
I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that this is all there is to it, but I don't think I'm breeding her again, at least not this year, 'cause this really creeped me out..
Thank you so much for your reply, there's nothing like having some feedback from other keepers/breeders.
My best regards

dizeedoo
02-21-2009, 10:54 PM
Hey Anokas,

WOW... you must have gotten quite a shock. I know I would have. I've seen some other pics of post mating blood but nothing in the amount of your pic. I'm glad the vet also thinks she is okay. Keep us posted.