PDA

View Full Version : Good experience with 'sale' animals

Good experience with 'sale' animals

Kat
09-03-2003, 06:39 PM
Well, I have to say I had a good experience with getting the sale animals. :) Each and every one of the corns I got from Rich ate last night, unscented f/t. I was half afraid that the hypo lav was gonna refuse, what with him being the most expensive (and you know how Murphy's law usually goes), but he was the first to chow down. Yaaay. :D Thanks, Rich.

-Kat

CornCrazy
09-03-2003, 07:08 PM
My two blizzards ate the first time I tried feeding them. They have actually eaten twice now. My silver queen ghosts prefer lizards :( Well...one ate a small lizard and the other ate a lizard scented pinky head. My candy canes are being stubborn and refusing everything so far. I think the silver queen ghosts and the candy canes are being picky because of their Miami influence. Has anyone else noticed this with these morphs?

I definitely haven't given up on them...at least 4 out of 6 have eaten something! :D That's a start!

They are beautiful, and I am determined to pull them through. I knew the risk I was taking when I bought them at such a good price, and even if they give me a bit of trouble, they were definitely worth it!

carol
09-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Congrats!
No small task especially after having such a stressful experience as shipping.
I had the same feeling with my hypo lavs. I expected them to not eat, but they are all pigs! Now some of my hets... thats a different story. :rolleyes:

Susan
09-03-2003, 09:02 PM
Sounds like most of us are having pretty good luck with Rich's sale hatchlings. All 5 of mine ate their first meal for me, but only 4 ate the second time. I'm hoping that the normal het lav is just getting ready to shed...he's spending most of the time in his water dish lately.

Corncrazy - Hope your little "problems" start coming around for you. I've had alot of bad luck with some expensive hatchlings in the past myself, so I now what you're going through. I now prefer to buy yearlings or adults, but couldn't resist Rich's sale. And I really lucked out at the Expo in Daytona this year...got a female '02 lavender from Rich at half price...and she's a little pig! When I get a decent digital camera, I'll post some pics...she's the color I really like in lavenders...lots of pink.

CAV
09-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Hypo Lav and Pewter pairs ate on the first try.

BUT, the Opal pair hasn't bought into the whole eating thing.

I now prefer to buy yearlings or adults
I'm with you Susan. Yearlings are definitely the way to go.

Simon
09-04-2003, 11:28 AM
I had the same experience
I got
2.2 butters
2.2 blizzards
and all of them ate without any problems at all....
didn't even take me 1 min to feed them....it was great~

actually I also got a
0.1 2002 candycane.....that one didn't eat....hahahaha o well....

VinnyJ
09-04-2003, 12:39 PM
Same here too. My 1.1 Hypo Bloodreds and 1.1 Blizzards ate the day I got them and 5 days later with no hesitation at all. The Blizzards are so aggressive I think they'd like to take off a piece of my finger as well. They've actually tried. ;) Lol.

Elaphe_Mo
09-04-2003, 12:42 PM
I'm one of the lucky ones I guess, all but one of my new additions from Rich:

1.1 hypo lav
1.1 charcoal het hypo pewter

ate f/t on the first try (the other one ate "lizard-maker" scented), and they all ate plain ol' f/t their 2nd meal. Even my male hypo lav, who was so awesome looking I was positive he'd be a pain in the butt.

Rich Z
09-04-2003, 02:23 PM
Actually all around this has been an excellent year for getting the babies to feed for me. I have no idea why they are being so kind to me. The frightful thing is that I know Murphy's Law tends to balance things out, so I am not looking forward to next year.

I was amazed at how many entire trays of babies (32 per) would ALL eat on the first try.

Maybe my selective breeding for hearty feeders as well as pretty animals is finally starting to show results.

Susan
09-05-2003, 10:06 PM
Just a thought...could the general environmental conditions be affecting the natural tendencies for hatchlings to be good feeders or not? You have to admit, Rich, that we've had more rain this year than in the past 5 years (or longer). I actually have a pond for the first 100 feet of my front yard...complete with ducks, herons, egrets and more frogs and toads than anyone can imagine! I can't step out my front door without worrying about mushing at least a dozen tiny hopping things about the size of a pencil eraser. Seems like perfect corn hatchling food to me!

Last year was so dry that it took me weeks to even locate an anole, let alone catch one! This year, they're all over the place...I've counted at least 7 small hatchling anoles inside my back screened porch this week alone! More perfect corn hatchling food!

Could Mother Nature be telling corn hatchlings that food is plentiful and all of them should do their best to eat and grow up to produce more corn snakes? And in years past, telling only the strongest to go out and eat since there wasn't enough to go around? Yeah, ours are in captivity and we always have food for them, but I think that no matter how much we control their limited environment, our corns are still influenced by factors that we are unable to control or even detect.

I have a head-ache now so I'm going to take some aspirin and go to bed. It is nice to know that my brain can still come up with an idea after dealing with a 5 yr old and a 3 year old all day! BUT IT HURTS !!!

Clint Boyer
09-06-2003, 12:36 PM
Here in the Pacific NW many of the breeders I have spoken to have been having a bad year for non-feeders. It has been unusually hot and dry so far this summer. I'm sure there are factors unknown to us that cause things like large #'s of non-feeders.

Rich Z
09-06-2003, 02:34 PM
Heck, animals are so much more sensitive to their environment than us poor dumb humans are. They likely can sense things we don't even have a clue about. To them it is all important. To us, we don't even know it is there.

A friend of mine did farming and used to swear by the almanac. He quoted all sorts of things that really sounded wierd, but he swore up and down it worked. There are a lot of things out there that are just brushed off because they have no textbook proven logical explanation.

Heck, I'm seeing all these wierd results from my breedings and wondering is I'm seeing signs of Armageddon!!

Hope H
09-07-2003, 08:34 PM
I feel you pain. I got a pair of Opals too. My male eats well, but my female won't take anything. I offered live day old pinkie, F/T pinkie, head, headless body, I'm out of choices here. :confused:

TripleMoonsExotic
09-11-2003, 01:10 PM
I had problems with the blizzard and one caramel. The blizzard each at a live pink yesterday, again the caramel refused.

Charlie
11-04-2003, 05:46 PM
I bought:
1.1 charcoal ghosts
1.1 butters
1.1 pewters
and
0.1 blizzard

I have had them since August. Since the first day I got them:
Both pewters have tripled in size
Male Charcoal Ghost had tripled
Female Blizzard has double in size(went through a stage she refused to eat)
As for the two butters and female charcoal ghost...nothing. I have had to assist them in feeding every week since I first tried to feed them. I think they are slowly catching on though. I always put a mouse in with them for a while to see if they will eat on their own. They are starting to show more interest than before when I first put the pink in but still haven't fully caught on.

I am still really pleased with all of them...even though I have had to put a little extra effort into those three :).

Thanks Rich