PDA

View Full Version : respatory infection?

respatory infection?

Kali
02-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Hi there,
I bought a nice snow a couple of months ago. And unexperienced idiot that I am in buying new snakes, I apparently bought one with an infection.
When I held her at her previous owners's place, she puffed a few times, but I thought that it was because I was a stranger to her, strange smell or something like that. But afterwards the puffing became hissing and wheezing so...something wrong.
Apart from that, she is acting completely normal as far as I can see. She eats very well, has shed nicely in one piece, and doesn't act any different from my other snakes... I went to the vet with her (believe he's a good reptile vet, highly recommended by different ppl) And he gave me antibiotics. So I gave her the medicine (she did NOT like that) for two weeks, then another medicine because in the feacal check they found...eh...don't know the word in english, some unicellular wich shouldn't be there or at least not in such high amounts.
At that time she was still wheezing, but the vet told me to keep her warm and wait a month because sometimes snakes have trouble getting the mucus out of their lungs and that can take a while. And as long as she was acting normal and eating well, I could wait a while, but he said to come back when anything got worse or she stopped eating or well anything that's not normal.
ok, the month is over, I have repeated as ordered the medicin against the unicellulars, nothing got worse or abnormal, but the wheezing is still there. So I guess it's back to the vet with her.
I believe he was going to take a throat swab now.

Anyone have an opinion over this? I always thought that a snake that was ill wouldn't eat anymore, or at least eat less, or act different, or something ...

LostNFound
02-25-2009, 06:18 PM
is it a wheeze or a whistle?

Kali
02-25-2009, 06:35 PM
I'm not completely sure what the difference is (little language problem here I think), but if I understand you correctly, I think I heard both at one time or another. Sometimes she has a lot of mucus in her mouth, and sometimes she doesn't. I have not seen her sitting still with her mouth wide open, I read somewhere that that is something you have to look out for. But regularly, it 's clear that she is breathing through mucus... poor thing

danielle
02-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Do you see smear marks on the walls or furniture of the cage? Usually the wheezing whistling sounds should stop once they have been treated. A little residual may still be normal while they are adjusting, but a month does seem a little long. If you are in doubt I would run her back in.

Kali
02-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Not much doubt unfortunately. She is not better than a month ago at all. Definitely going back to the vet with her.
Do you find it strange that she is acting and eating normal? Or does that happen more often when corns are ill?

danielle
02-25-2009, 06:49 PM
My corn experience is very new, but I have had animals get sick and still eat/shed normlly though thats not always the case either.

Kali
02-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Ah ok, well at least I don't have to worry about her losing weight while she's sick. I hope the vet will have a solution for her, I'ts a sad sound when I hear her breathe... :(

Kali
02-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Haven't had any sick snakes up till now (have had corns for 8 years), so don't really know what to expect from this. I hope she'll be well again soon and stay well

Eli173
02-25-2009, 07:18 PM
I just wanted to wish you the best of luck and I hope she makes a speedy recovery!!