PDA

View Full Version : Escapee found - swolen neck/throat

Escapee found - swolen neck/throat

lyndy299
02-25-2009, 06:17 PM
I came home to find my '05 amel missing. I'd had her out last night but been careless and obviously left the viv open slightly. I'm so annoyed because I've never done this before, but there's nothing I can do now, at least I found her. I've been out all day and just noticed when I returned. I tore the entire place apart and found her in the aspen bale bag in the cupboard. There's a problem with this building which has recently become major in that we have mouldy walls/a damp flat. All of my animals are kept on inside walls because of this. However, she was in the side of the wardrobe which is particularly unpleasant (although in a dry bag of aspen). Problem is, her throat seems to have swelled, literally right below the head. I've taken photo's and will post them in a few minutes once I've uploaded them to the computer. It does get very cold here, so is this some reaction to the cold? It seems to be going down slightly as she warms up but I'm not taking any chances. Any ideas?

Any help, extremely appreciated.

Lynda

danielle
02-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Have you opened her mouth to look in and make sure there is nothing in there? Sorry about this but i am glad you found her in the bag is pretty funny- smart snakey!

lyndy299
02-25-2009, 06:58 PM
There doesn't seem to be an obstruction, just a swelling. She is back in her viv now, but like I say, it seemed to be going down a little, I just want to be sure and ask here.

Here are the pics I took a few minutes after I found her.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/lyndy299/PICT0126.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/lyndy299/PICT0131.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/lyndy299/PICT0132.jpg

Nanci
02-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Some people notice this in a snake during the shedding process...

EmJagsz
02-25-2009, 07:05 PM

Yeah, I've noticed a bit of ~swelling~ on one of my snakes in the SAME place as I see in your corn, and she was in shed at the time. I don't see it anymore, so I wouldn't worry much if I were you, but you should just keep an eye on it :)

lyndy299
02-25-2009, 07:09 PM
It is possible she's due a shed but she did shed mid-way through last month so I wouldn't be expecting it. I do realise I am panicking at this point. I wouldn't have been so worried but like I say, the outside walls in my flat are very damp/mouldy and the cupboard is quite badly affected on that side...to the point where I can sometimes find it unpleasant if I put my head in there and breathe. Living in this flat does affect my chest. I figured if it made me wheeze from living in it, there might be some issues with her.

Thanks for the input, I will continue to keep an eye on it. I am a panicker, this one was my first snake. I'm very partial to her.

LBoz
02-25-2009, 07:58 PM

I didn't know that, I've never seen that, and I'm so happy to read that. I would have panicked as well.

Good luck, glad you found her!

Tracee
03-03-2009, 11:32 AM
I notice this quite often and I, too, remember a discussion about it a long while ago. I've never been able to connect it with shedding. It's terribly confusing, but no doubt coinicidence, so you don't need to worry at all :)

(In 30 years time we'll figure out what it is and feel extremely silly that we didn't know before!)