PDA

View Full Version : Sneazing?

Sneazing?

mdrews
02-26-2009, 08:10 PM
As I'm typing this Simon is crawling all over my neck. Being so close to my ear I can hear him every once in a while give not quite a sneaze but almost a little "ppft" out of his nose.Kind of reminds me of when my parrot used to clear dust fom her nose.Is this ok or should I be concerned about an r.i.? There is no fluid with the sound.:awcrap:

BobbyHill
02-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Funny you should make this thread. I noticed my 05 corn doing this earlier today.

danielle
02-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Keep an eye on it could be the start of a respiratory infection or not, but at least listen for it and if it worsens see your vet to get antibiotics.

mdrews
02-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Ok, I noticed his skin was pretty dry, might be in early shed, and he's been burrowing alot in his Repti-bark bedding.I've noticed that this stuff has quite a bit of dust to it and thought maybe he was just clearing the air ways...?will keep an eye though:)

mdrews
02-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Funny you should make this thread. I noticed my 05 corn doing this earlier today.

Is this the first time?

danielle
02-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Maybe give his enclosure a mist then to up the humidity.

mdrews
02-26-2009, 09:09 PM
I do mist when he's sedding but I worry about mold if I do it all the time.Is that a legit concern or will it be ok if I don't saturate the bedding?

BobbyHill
02-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Is this the first time?

First time I've noticed, sure.

dizeedoo
02-26-2009, 09:36 PM
My boy sneezed a couple of times once. I thought I heard a sneeze and looked over at him just in time to catch him sneeze again. I came here immediately and posted a question similar to yours.

My responders told me to keep an eye on him, check temps etc. there was no discharge and he is fine. Nothing ever came of it thankfully.

I use aspen bedding and he is a major burrower so it was probably dust. You said that he was around your neck, maybe some hair, cologne, or other fragrance that bothered him.

measley
02-26-2009, 10:17 PM
It could be the beginning of a respiratory infection or it could be the start of a shed.

When I first got my BP, I kept hearing a slight whistling/Pfft. At the time, I was looking for a good reptile vet in my area so I made a "checkup" appointment for him (mainly to check out the vet) I took him and she listened to his lungs and all. She said he was fine and sure enough, a couple of weeks later, he had a perfect shed.

I would keep an eye on him and if you notice mucus around the nose, holding his mouth open, raspy sounds around his mouth, then get him to the vet. But I honestly would wait a week or so to see if he's going into blue.

Lennycorn
02-26-2009, 10:37 PM
It could be the beginning of a respiratory infection or it could be the start of a shed.

When I first got my BP, I kept hearing a slight whistling/Pfft. At the time, I was looking for a good reptile vet in my area so I made a "checkup" appointment for him (mainly to check out the vet) I took him and she listened to his lungs and all. She said he was fine and sure enough, a couple of weeks later, he had a perfect shed.

I would keep an eye on him and if you notice mucus around the nose, holding his mouth open, raspy sounds around his mouth, then get him to the vet. But I honestly would wait a week or so to see if he's going into blue.

Measley is on the money!!

treesnake888
02-27-2009, 01:27 AM
I have a 5-year old male that sneezes every so often. When I first heard it years ago I was quite worried. I thought it was the start of an RI but no other symptoms ever came about. My herp-vet checked him over and found nothing wrong with him. It doesn't alarm me anymore. Plus, it's few and far between.

I have him on aspen and he's loves to burrow just like any other corn. I've been sifting/screening the aspen lately to get the smaller dust particles out before I put it in the cage. This helps. I've also considered switching the bedding to something that doesn't have little bits that can easily be inhaled. Coconut husk is something I'm looking in to (see my thread on the husbandry section).

mdrews
02-27-2009, 06:38 AM
Thanks guys. I guess all animals need to clear the airways.I'll definitely keep an eye on him!As I'm typing this it's very quit and I heard him do it twice already from in his tank, still a dry "pppft":)

breakneck
02-27-2009, 09:29 PM
I just got a false water cobra and it did that too right off the bat and sure enough like another posted it shed. I was worried it had a respiratory infection too that and it wasn't eating so I was really worried.
There was no mucous or anything which was what the shop told me to look for.
It really worries you but keep an eye on it for the mucous.

JeremyGTS
03-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Hey, i didnt hear a sneaze but i removed him from the viv to clean it. then i noticed a clear fluid in the "critter carrier" kinda around his mouth at least thats where i think it was coming from. Is there any other symptons i should check out? The temp on the hot side is around 85+*F but i have it probbed at the bottem of the tank, he dont really burrow where the UTH is.. And i didnt think the temp would be an issue since the cool side is around 70-75*F. And he will spend some time on the hot side and on the cool side.

Is it also normal for him to take a drink then open his mouth when finished?
Sorry just a lil new to corns.

medusacoils
03-02-2009, 01:58 PM
If you believe your snakey is developing a respiratory infection, just to make sure, you should start the basic treatment. Turn the heat in the vivs up a bit. You want it over 85 but not more than 90 and keep the humidity down. I realize that your snakes may be going into a shed, but humidity could exacerbate the condition.

Don's book "Corn Snakes in Captivity" gives a list of possible symptoms.

*mouth gaping
*labored breathing
*sneezing
*Back arching
*excessive saliva
*nasal discharge

You don't need all of the symptoms, to indicate a URI. But, one or two could be the indication, that one is starting.

Good Luck

Wayne

JeremyGTS
03-02-2009, 02:06 PM
If you believe your snakey is developing a respiratory infection, just to make sure, you should start the basic treatment. Turn the heat in the vivs up a bit. You want it over 85 but not more than 90 and keep the humidity down. I realize that your snakes may be going into a shed, but humidity could exacerbate the condition.

Don's book "Corn Snakes in Captivity" gives a list of possible symptoms.

*mouth gaping
*labored breathing
*sneezing
*Back arching
*excessive saliva
*nasal discharge

You don't need all of the symptoms, to indicate a URI. But, one or two could be the indication, that one is starting.

Good Luck

Wayne

Thanks alot for that.. Ill watch out for them and start looking for a vet that does reptiles. Ill rep ya for that.

Sorry if this has been asked before but will the saliva and nasal discharge have a foul smell to it? like a musky smell? I ask because when i put em back in the viv i smelled the critter carrier and it stunk like feces but kinda worse?

medusacoils
03-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks alot for that.. Ill watch out for them and start looking for a vet that does reptiles. Ill rep ya for that.

Sorry if this has been asked before but will the saliva and nasal discharge have a foul smell to it? like a musky smell? I ask because when i put em back in the viv i smelled the critter carrier and it stunk like feces but kinda worse?

Yes it does have a foul odor. I know your going to contact a vet, which is always a good thing in these circumstances, but in the mean time, get the temps up and the humidity down.

If you have any other question's, please don't hesitate to ask!!

Wayne

PS thanks for the rep!!!!

Emmanuel.S
06-02-2009, 11:26 PM
my baby female motley was in a shed and i noticed that she would "sneeze" several times. no fluid just a sneeze

after she shed, she stopped. could be the same .. i also got really worried.
hope this helps