PDA

View Full Version : pinkie and the brain

pinkie and the brain

admitchell08
02-28-2009, 07:44 PM
So far for EVERY feeding, I have had to brain the pinkie for Raider. He just absolutely will not eat it unless I brain it first. I have tried isolating him, leaving him alone with it for an hour, putting him in the dark, etc.
Am I possibly helping him form a bad habit in which he wont ever eat unless I brain the rodent first?
He shows absolutely no interest in it at first..but then when I brain it, he goes right after it without any hesitation! Any reasons why??

Thanks in advance for any advice.

EmJagsz
02-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Possibly it smells more tasty when it's brained? :shrugs:

bitsy
03-01-2009, 06:58 AM
When he's ready to eat two pinkies at a time, you could try braining one and leaving the other without. At first you could maybe smear some brain matter on the unbrained one, then gradually put less and less on it. He might get into the habit of eating unbrained that way?

Just a theory, as I've never run up aginst this problem before. I just switch "brainers" onto unbrained after three feeds. Sounds like you have a bit of a problem child on your hands! They love to throw us curve balls...

P.S. Love the thread title. "Pinkie and The Brain" - sounds like a TV series from the 70s!

Nanci
03-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Maybe try smaller and smaller brainings? You know what, there are tons of people here who would love to be in your situation! At least he's eating MICE!

Hey, I have another idea. Try slitting! Cut three or four small slits in the pink's back, like with a fingernail scissors. My guys all get slitted mice up until they are over 200g. I didn't used to do it, and the first time I did, the snakes went crazy!!! It makes the prey more easily digestible, as well as releasing the odor.

admitchell08
03-01-2009, 11:19 AM
When he's ready to eat two pinkies at a time, you could try braining one and leaving the other without. At first you could maybe smear some brain matter on the unbrained one, then gradually put less and less on it. He might get into the habit of eating unbrained that way?

Yeah, that is a good idea! I had never thought of that.

P.S. Love the thread title. "Pinkie and The Brain" - sounds like a TV series from the 70s!

Haha I know! It just popped into my head right before I posted. I got it from the old cartoon I used to see every now and then when I was a kid.

Maybe try smaller and smaller brainings? You know what, there are tons of people here who would love to be in your situation! At least he's eating MICE!

Hey, I have another idea. Try slitting! Cut three or four small slits in the pink's back, like with a fingernail scissors. My guys all get slitted mice up until they are over 200g. I didn't used to do it, and the first time I did, the snakes went crazy!!! It makes the prey more easily digestible, as well as releasing the odor.

Thanks Nanci. I will definitely give this a shot. It's a good idea anyways since I was just hit with a regurge by one of my guys..so no I'll start doing it as somewhat of a preventative measure.

Thanks to everybody for all of the advice!