PDA

View Full Version : DIY clay hides I made

DIY clay hides I made

Calift
03-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Here are a few small hides I made for hatchlings and my ball python -dont think hers is pictured here (though she tried to squeeze in these :p) . They were really easy and made with sculpey. I didn't take very long to paint them, hence it's not the best detailed paint job possible.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3607/3323915957_5fe3536d61.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3628/3324751898_079bd6ae51.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3646/3324755388_6cb2a5ae8f.jpg

...I'm sure anyone who actually plans these out and takes more time and can make them quite lovely, any criticism/questions welcome
:)

medusacoils
03-02-2009, 09:43 PM
What are you talking about? Those are quite nice!! Great job!! I like how natural they look!

Wayne

RobbiesCornField
03-02-2009, 09:46 PM
They look natural. :D Nice work!

Cornsnake124
03-03-2009, 02:25 AM
there nice!! mabe I should do that...

claireree
03-03-2009, 10:50 AM
They look great, how did you make them bet they work out loads cheaper than the shop brought ones

Tracee
03-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Those are MUCH better than the one I made from sculpey!

I had made quite a nice one but my monster outgrew it, so I used a second batch to sort of 'add on' an extension to the bottom in order to make it bigger for him... it's a mess, but he likes it!!

Yours look too cool :bowdown:

jen murphy
03-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Wow, nice job! I have a whole toolbox filled with sculpey, and I totally want to copy your idea!

pebblelu
03-07-2009, 09:45 PM
They look to cool. were do you get the sculpey clay from? I would love to try and make some. Just hope i can do half as good as yours.

danielle
03-07-2009, 09:51 PM
I think they look great and would love to know where you get this stuff. Do you bake it or does it have to dry over a number of days? Very cool idea I bet my kids would love to make the snakes hides.

vetusvates
03-07-2009, 09:52 PM
They look great. And your assistant seems to approve. Looks like she's looking for one in her size.

Caryl
03-07-2009, 10:50 PM
What a great idea! I think those hides look great, and your snake obviously agrees. I've never heard of sculpey. Where do you get it? What sort of paint does it take?

jen murphy
03-08-2009, 09:23 PM
What a great idea! I think those hides look great, and your snake obviously agrees. I've never heard of sculpey. Where do you get it? What sort of paint does it take?

I have been a long time fan of sculpey III. You can get it at any arts & crafts store (Michaels, AC Moore, etc). You can get all different colors too, which would eliminate the need for paint. They sell granite colored stuff which would add a nice touch. I've never painted mine but would assume acrylics?

Sculpey III is very pliable and bakes in the oven (or toaster oven even, just don't put things that are too tall near the heating coils) at 275 degrees F for 15 minutes for each ¼ inch of clay thickness.

The hides are genius! I am going for the natural look, but was kicking around the idea of a little "snake house" hide w/ siding & shingles on the roof, kinda like a doghouse, with a name plate on the front.

mmfrankford
03-08-2009, 09:37 PM
The hides are genius! I am going for the natural look, but was kicking around the idea of a little "snake house" hide w/ siding & shingles on the roof, kinda like a doghouse, with a name plate on the front.

I love this idea! Show pics when you make them.

Caryl
03-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the tip! I'll head for an art supply store over spring break and try my hand at some hide.

Thanks for sharing the great idea.

Tavia
04-18-2009, 11:02 PM
They look every bit as good as all the ones I've seen at the pet stores! And they did not come from China, no lead paint worries there!

necromantica
04-19-2009, 03:41 AM
oh wow wonderful, I love how you recreated the wood hide effect with the ripples!

Mashedmelissa
04-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Amazing idea!! I have been looking for some nice hides for my corn but they are either stupid/ridiculously expensive. I'm so going to get some of this and make some awesome hides :)

Leonore
04-20-2009, 11:23 PM
I LOVE these!!! What a wonderful project for the kids! Thanks so much for sharing!

Ricky87
04-20-2009, 11:57 PM
They look great. I love the cave the best. My only concern is how toxic they may be. I'm sure their fine, but I would definitely not use paint on it that you don't know how harmful it is. Acrylic, for example, might not be the best idea. It can be toxic, and all it takes is for your hide-caves to have any moisture and the paint will come off. Especially with an active snake, that paint would end up right in the water dish. I'm not sure, but I would just keep an eye out for the first few days with it in your tank to see if their is any paint residue anywhere in your tank.

carnivorouszoo
04-21-2009, 08:23 AM
They look great. I love the cave the best. My only concern is how toxic they may be. I'm sure their fine, but I would definitely not use paint on it that you don't know how harmful it is. Acrylic, for example, might not be the best idea. It can be toxic, and all it takes is for your hide-caves to have any moisture and the paint will come off. Especially with an active snake, that paint would end up right in the water dish. I'm not sure, but I would just keep an eye out for the first few days with it in your tank to see if their is any paint residue anywhere in your tank.

That is why you would use a non-toxic sealant. Honestly a lot of people who work with sculpey that I know of use Modge Podge. I am pretty sure it is nontoxic. I will have to check. I also need to check the toxicity of Acrylic paint as I am sure while working with it I have ingested :blowup: some on accident and I use it A LOT. It gets everywhere too but then I am a tad messy if it gets on my hands and I wipe my face for any reason I don't stop to clean up til I finish the project I am doing.

Cat_Eyed_Lady
04-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Thi is really a wonderful idea!! My son loves to work with clay so this would be great for him. He loves to make all kinds of things. I will be getting some of this clay before school lets out and he can be busy for a long time making everyone their own hide! Thank you so much for posting this. I am sure that with the stick end of a brush or something, that it would be possible to carve the names of each snake on them as well. So many ideas for this!! I cant hardly wait to get some now!! Thanks again!!

Mashedmelissa
04-26-2009, 01:03 PM
I copied you :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/rawrockkillls/Floydandsnake038-1.jpg
My cave imploded while it was in the oven :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/rawrockkillls/Floydandsnake043.jpg
Gunther checkin out his new diggs

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/rawrockkillls/Floydandsnake015.jpg
just because he's so darn cute :rofl:

brock2001
04-26-2009, 02:01 PM
how high should the the inside be for a corn snake, i designed one in my art class that looks like a snake and hollowed it out to be a diameter of maybe 6 inches and an inch or 2 high. Will it work or is it too small.

carnivorouszoo
04-26-2009, 02:46 PM
how high should the the inside be for a corn snake, i designed one in my art class that looks like a snake and hollowed it out to be a diameter of maybe 6 inches and an inch or 2 high. Will it work or is it too small.

I think that would work for a small one, not sure for an adult.

brock2001
04-26-2009, 04:40 PM
about how big are we talking when you say a small one

Calift
05-30-2009, 07:15 PM
so great to see other people making their own hides! :D

Here's a new one I made for a snake thats outgrown the others.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/cally_dog/DSC_0048.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/cally_dog/DSC_0049.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/cally_dog/DSC_0065.jpg

insomniac101
06-13-2009, 07:39 PM
What a great idea - those are very nice! Thanks for sharing; can't wait to try this. :)

Kathy

wolfiesangelbear
08-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Wow this looks like a great project. I might have to give this a try. I do have some question though. First off when you put these in the oven, do you need to use a mold for them so they don't cave in? Also once they are baked, do they need the Scupley glaze to waterproof them, or do you use something else to waterproof them so they don't get wet when needing to spray the cage down at shed time? I did find a website that has the clay and seen the granite package.....might have to give that one a try.

Bobo's Mama
08-09-2009, 06:22 PM
I've made quite a few Sculpey hides. I just use the colored kind, so you don't have to paint them. For a glaze I've used both the Sculpey glaze and clear aquarium epoxy. The aquarium epoxy doesn't dry smooth, but it does protect the clay from poops. If your snake poops on it, you just wipe it off with a damp washcloth. You can use throw away alluminum tins as molds. They can be found in the baking aisle. They come in little ones, and big ones. The kind you would make a meatloaf in, or pie tins. Here's a few of mine.

Cornflake1
08-26-2009, 04:20 AM
I too have recently found Sculpey and must say, wow its great stuff!! :D I haven't painted any of mine as I brought some nice colours. This one was my first and is for my hatchling. I think he likes it, it's silver but I will look into some kind of non-toxic varnish for it before putting it in.

Gnauty
10-27-2009, 12:09 AM

Back when I used to use Fimo and Sculpey all the time, the individually wrapped squares I'd get usually had a big ol' "TOXIC" written on them. That was probably over 15 years ago... I'm pretty sure they've changed things since then due to heightened restrictions on products that kids come into contact with. But I'd recommend double check the clay before using it.

Most other DIY tutorials I've come across for herp accessories generally coat the end-product with a varnish. I would highly recommending a coat of non-toxic varnish on any painted products.

Gnauty
10-27-2009, 12:13 AM
My cave imploded while it was in the oven :(

You can ball up wads of aluminum foil. Put them underneath for support when it is in the oven, since the clay does get softer at higher temps.

Aislin
12-08-2009, 03:09 PM
I love these! I now have the perfect project for my kids..especially my son. He'll love the idea of making something for his snake. Great idea.

MrGBB
02-13-2010, 05:06 AM
hey those are pretty cool! thats a good idea im gunna go to michaels arts and crafts to buy some of thi stuff =] i think they sell those 1lb brick of the stuff. but does it have to be sculpy or do the other brands work too? just as long as its non toxic right?

Cornsnake124
02-13-2010, 06:08 PM
I just made one! will post pics tonight!

Stormy
02-13-2010, 07:10 PM
From what I can find, sculpey is non toxic. Yay for google. http://www.sculpey.com/faq/qna/faq-159 (http://www.sculpey.com/faq/qna/faq-159)