PDA

View Full Version : Still No Answer!

Still No Answer!

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Hi Folks,
About a month ago I posted here about my snake Stewie. His scales were coming off. I had taken him to the ER and they knew nothing.
I was advised on here by some really nice people to do a few things that I did and to wait a few weeks to see if he will get better.
Unfortunately he didn't, more scales came off and most of his belly scales feel very loose and soft, the artificial transparent skin is peeling off very easy... some scales look broken in half, underneath that transparent layer, the scales have shrank and look rotten. I know it's not "rotten scale" disease because they are not on his belly or are brown.

Anyway, I took him to see a well renowned vet, even though he was so far from where I live.The vet had NO IDEA what it was, he said he has never seen anything like it (he owns a lot of snakes and reptiles himself). He did notice that almost his entire skin looked like he has dimples.
He got worried because he saw no sign of anything that can cause this. We went over my husbandry and he says it's perfect. He was hoping to see mites so we could have something to work with. He does think it could be some kind of fungal infection/weather related but he did not find anything to send for cultures besides the transparent layer. He did however find from the damaged scales of his belly, something that almost looked like dried puss, but he said it was not enough to send but he will look at it under the microscope.
He has not eaten since Dec 21, not pooped, and not shed since and he been very inactive.
I've done everything in my power (mist, shed box, increase humidity, cover with a towel) to help him shed but nothing. He does not even look like he needs to shed because his colors are so vibrant. The vet kept saying how beautiful he looked.
Out of precaution though, he prescribed some medications hoping it would help.
- Silver Sulfadiazine cream
- Nolvasan solution
- Ceftazadime injections
He also had me make a new shed box, get a new hygrometer (just in case)
He probed him to see if he was really a male of female but the number of scales were inconclusive. So he guessed he's a she.

Yesterday was my first day of treating him with the meds, I prepared the nolvasan solution and I soaked him in there (had to hold him) and out of nowhere he pooped.

I'm hoping that is a good sign.... maybe he was constipated?

Anyone has heard anything like this. Even the vet had no idea....

Nanci
03-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Maybe he pooped from the excitement of a vet visit and being messed around with down there...But he still pooped! I have a bunch of males, and one female, who didn't eat all winter. Have you tried a tasty rat pink? It takes a strong snake to resist that.

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Maybe he pooped from the excitement of a vet visit and being messed around with down there...But he still pooped! I have a bunch of males, and one female, who didn't eat all winter. Have you tried a tasty rat pink? It takes a strong snake to resist that.

I'm not worried about him not eating.. about two years ago he won't on a similar strike, he was just hibernating. And i felt a lot more relieved because a lot of people on here were going through the same.

Im worried about the visible damage I see to his scales. I wish i knew something about it.
I asked the vet if he thought the damage is from him not eating and he said absolutely not.

I have to ask him though when I can try to feed him again.

Whats a rat pink? if you don't mind

Nanci
03-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Like a mouse pink, only a rat. A hairless, newborn rat. It's about the size of a large fuzzy/very small hopper. I feed them FT to hunger strikers, and except for Zee, no one can resist. They may not eat what they are supposed to, but they will all take rat pinks.

I wish he would just shed, see what happens after that.

medusacoils
03-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Whats a rat pink? if you don't mind

I think she is referring to a rat pinkie.

He may not be shedding too, because he hasn't been eating correctly. My male who was on a hunger strike, hasn't shed in months. He is losing a bit of weight and I think that is the cause. I am not saying it's the same for you, but just a thought. I did get lucky and a couple of days ago, I enticed him with a hopper mouse and he ate it, when I wasn't looking, ofcourse.

I really hope this works out for you. I feel really bad.

Good Luck

Wayne

danielle
03-05-2009, 01:38 PM
I hope the meds work. Pus is a sign of infection so hopefully whatever is going on will be cleared up.

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 01:53 PM
I think she is referring to a rat pinkie.

He may not be shedding too, because he hasn't been eating correctly. My male who was on a hunger strike, hasn't shed in months. He is losing a bit of weight and I think that is the cause. I am not saying it's the same for you, but just a thought. I did get lucky and a couple of days ago, I enticed him with a hopper mouse and he ate it, when I wasn't looking, ofcourse.

I really hope this works out for you. I feel really bad.

Good Luck

Wayne

Hi Wayne,
He usually eats a small rat.
He's about 4' 11" and the vet weighed him at 4.82 lbs. He didn't look particularly thin. Stewie has always been more a thinner snake.
You're totally right, I am 100% sure he has not shed or pooped because he has not eaten.
I'm going to ask the vet if he thinks I should try to feed him. I'm not so sure if he wants me to keep trying the meds for a few days and not add any stress.

Nancy:
He did not poop the same day he was at the vet, he pooped last night when he was in the water. When the ER saw him and they even took a blood sample from his heart... he still didn't poop.
I'm really hoping that the pooping means he is ready to eat. I will try what you suggested. At least that would fix one issue if he eats... then I'll wait for shedding... but it would still give me no answer on how to stop his scales damage.

How high can I go when I increase the humidity?
The readings in his tank right now are Cold side 71.2F Warm 83.6 F and humidity at 40%. When I misted this morning the humidity went up to 56%

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 01:56 PM
I hope the meds work. Pus is a sign of infection so hopefully whatever is going on will be cleared up.

I hope so too.. thank you
Nice seeing you again, I remember you from last time I posted about him

It did look like a dried yellow substance. Not sure if it was puss but it looked like it. The vet had to cut it out... it was so tiny the size of a tip of a pen

Nanci
03-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Why do you want to increase the humidity?

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Why do you want to increase the humidity?

to get him to shed. Maybe if he shes the skin will get better.
The vets office just called me to check on him and i asked them some questions.
The vet is going to call me sometime soon so I can ask him.
She did ask me the humidity levels and when I said 41% she said thats low.
When I misted him this morning the level were 56%

I guess Ill ask the vet that too.

danielle
03-05-2009, 02:19 PM
I was wondering that too. If he has a skin infection humidity may only help it spread quicker. If he's not eating much he probably in't going to be shedding anytime soon and too much humidity makes nasty science project stuff grow in the cage, lol.

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 02:29 PM
I was wondering that too. If he has a skin infection humidity may only help it spread quicker. If he's not eating much he probably in't going to be shedding anytime soon and too much humidity makes nasty science project stuff grow in the cage, lol.

I don't get it either.
I changed his bedding to paper like somebody suggested. So at least that helps it with not spreading.

jpccusa
03-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Increasing the humidity will not force him to go into blue. It would only help if he was in blue.
I am intrigued by his condition because not even a reptile vet was able to figure it out... I hope someone here have some answers/experience for you.

RobbiesCornField
03-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Is he in a tank or a tub? Is the water dish plastic? Some corns have been known to have allergic reactions to plastic. I'm not sure if they were anything as bad as what you're describing, though. It almost sounds like a very bad case of scale rot, and if that's the case, you definitely don't want to raise the humidity.

bigbull
03-05-2009, 02:59 PM
i cant give any advice,

but i am sorry your snake is ill and i do hope u find what is the matter with him and u get him back the health asap

nick

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Thank you all for the posts.
I am so worried about my little guy... and I wish i wasn't disabled so i can take better care of him. I've got too much going and I started feeling guilty about his condition... if it was because of something I did, or missed or just because I have not been giving him as much attention anymore.

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Is he in a tank or a tub? Is the water dish plastic? Some corns have been known to have allergic reactions to plastic. I'm not sure if they were anything as bad as what you're describing, though. It almost sounds like a very bad case of scale rot, and if that's the case, you definitely don't want to raise the humidity.

He is in a 45 gallon tank. and yes, the water dish is plastic, i had just recently gotten it, he used to have a rock water dish.

this is interesting... plastic allergy. do you know what are the symptoms?

I don't think it's scale rot just because it's not brown.
I'll take some close ups to post

JustineNYC
03-05-2009, 03:11 PM
I think it'd help if we could see his belly. You may get some opinions on what it is that way. Do you have any pics?

Upping the humidity wont force him into shed, they shed when they grow, and they grow from eating.

Jenstar
03-05-2009, 03:13 PM
He is in a 45 gallon tank. and yes, the water dish is plastic, i had just recently gotten it, he used to have a rock water dish.

I'd get a different bowl and give that a try. I hope your snake gets better.

ForkedTung
03-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Increasing the humidity will not force him to go into blue. It would only help if he was in blue.
I am intrigued by his condition because not even a reptile vet was able to figure it out... I hope someone here have some answers/experience for you.
Exactly! With a possible skin infection and scale loss, Yes a shed would help, but you can't force it and if he's not in blue or coming out of it, humidity would only make things worse. How are the meds. working? any noticeable improvements? Pics, if possible, would help too.

Shiari
03-05-2009, 03:33 PM
I take it as a given that you and the vet ruled out dietary insufficiencies.

There is the possibility that this is either an allergy, autoimmune, or an endocrine/hormonal imbalance.

Allergies would be based on trial and error. Remove something, be it the plastic waterbowl, or your substrate choice. The other two however... I don't know what could be done, or even what diagnostics would be run.

So.

Here's hoping it's a simple (if scary!) allergy!

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 03:41 PM
OH MY GOD!!!! I am so freaking out right now. I can't even breathe and my hands are shaking

I took him out to snap a couple of pictures and to apply the cream. i was sitting at the couch and i didn't notice it because I was holding him in my lap and trying to apply the cream toward his bottom half... so he went inside the cushions to the back of the couch and i had him in my hands halfway but he was stuck down there and i had to pull him out so slowly but strongly because he was not letting me take him out and there was no way i could take him out any differently....
I pulled him out but i damaged a lot more scales of his... oh my god I can't believe i did that to him.
Im crying now because he looks awful. I should've seen his head go under the cushion.
I'm such a bad mother to him!!!

RobbiesCornField
03-05-2009, 04:04 PM

Try replacing the water bowl first, and see if that helps. You probably won't see results until the next shed, however. There's been more than one member here who's seen a plastic allergy firsthand. Send ArpeggioAngel a PM. If that's really what's going on, she'll be able to help you more than I would.

MinLynn
03-05-2009, 04:15 PM
OH MY GOD!!!! I am so freaking out right now. I can't even breathe and my hands are shaking

I took him out to snap a couple of pictures and to apply the cream. i was sitting at the couch and i didn't notice it because I was holding him in my lap and trying to apply the cream toward his bottom half... so he went inside the cushions to the back of the couch and i had him in my hands halfway but he was stuck down there and i had to pull him out so slowly but strongly because he was not letting me take him out and there was no way i could take him out any differently....
I pulled him out but i damaged a lot more scales of his... oh my god I can't believe i did that to him.
Im crying now because he looks awful. I should've seen his head go under the cushion.
I'm such a bad mother to him!!!

Oh honey! You're not a bad mommy! At least he isn't stuck in the couch and sick.

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 04:21 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/Paolitta/SSL28182.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/Paolitta/SSL28177.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/Paolitta/SSL28176.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/Paolitta/SSL28174.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/Paolitta/SSL28164.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/Paolitta/SSL28229.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/Paolitta/SSL28219.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/Paolitta/SSL28208.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/Paolitta/SSL28196.jpg

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 04:23 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/Paolitta/SSL28318.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/Paolitta/SSL28316.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/Paolitta/SSL28277.jpg

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 04:24 PM
I can't believe i hurt him.
I'm bawling my eyes out. he looks so bad. Oh Stewie I'm so sorry.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/Paolitta/SSL28320.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/Paolitta/SSL28323.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/Paolitta/SSL28327.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/Paolitta/SSL28333.jpg

Lennycorn
03-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Hell Witch...that ain't bad. You should see my snake.

RobbiesCornField
03-05-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm going to be completely honest. I have no idea what's going on with him. I know I've had corns that have randomly gotten little spots where a scale or something was pulled off during a shed, or got rubbed the wrong way by a viv decoration, and they were fine by the next shed. Try changing to a different water bowl, and see if that helps out any.
*hug* I hope everything works out for you.

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Hell Witch...that ain't bad. You should see my snake.

I saw yours, your poor amel looks really bad. He got burned. I'm so sorry for that.
Did you have him checked out by a vet. I hope he's not in much pain.

I'm just so stressed about him and now that I hurt him, i don't what else to do.
His scales look rotten to me. I wish I knew why.

Lennycorn
03-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Stew dose look dry.

Your are waiting for the Vet to get back to you right??\

didn't you post about this, but not as bad, before??

MinLynn
03-05-2009, 04:58 PM
I agree that it doesn't look like scale rot at all. Maybe it is a skin allergy like Robbie said. I've never seen something like that.

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Stew dose look dry.

Your are waiting for the Vet to get back to you right??\

didn't you post about this, but not as bad, before??

Yes I have, as i said in my OP. I did what you guys told me and I waited but he got worse.
The vet said that he doesnt think he looks dry, it's more like the transparent skin seems to be coming off even though he is not in shed or dry. His humidity levels are all within normal. he said my husbandry is perfect.

He think it can be an infection, he wants me to raise the himidity to try to see if theres anyway we can get him to shed and see if the skin would get better.
If you saw in the pictures... once that transparent layer comes off, the scales underneath them look like they shrank and rotten... he saw that and he didn't think it was due to dryness.

ForkedTung
03-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Very strange? I would find Kathy Love's page on here and send her a PM. She is an awesome person who is always willing to help and one of the the most qualified herpers on this site, (esp. with regards to corns) Afterall, She did "write the book on cornsnakes".

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 05:07 PM
I agree that it doesn't look like scale rot at all. Maybe it is a skin allergy like Robbie said. I've never seen something like that.

I think I'm going to go with the person who suggested plastic allergy.
It kind of makes sense because this whole thing started shortly after I got him a new plastic water bowl.
But does anybody know the symptoms of plastic allergy. Im trying to google it and i found nothing so far.

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Very strange? I would find Kathy Love's page on here and send her a PM. She is an awesome person who is always willing to help and one of the the most qualified herpers on this site, (esp. with regards to corns) Afterall, She did "write the book on cornsnakes".

she is registered on this site? I think i may have seen a post from her selling some corns.
Im going to look for her and see what she thinks.
Thats a great suggestion. thank you.

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Does anybody see those circles spots on his snout/head.

they look very odd to me.
Any idea?

jpccusa
03-05-2009, 05:14 PM
He think it can be an infection, he wants me to raise the himidity to try to see if theres anyway we can get him to shed and see if the skin would get better.

What I think your vet is thinking is that the snake might be having a bad shed episode, so that's why he wants you to raise the humidity (?). Do you have the option to consult another vet?

Also, you mentioned that the snake had a stone water dish before... Did it have problems when you used that? (I'm still considering allergies as a possible cause)

Just another idea, her belly scales resemble bad nails, so this could be fungi or vitamin deficiency (?).

Kathy Love is a great suggestion. She might be able to help you or at least add to the bunch of possibilities we already have.

jpccusa
03-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Here is Kathy's page: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/member.php?u=1000

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 05:21 PM
What I think your vet is thinking is that the snake might be having a bad shed episode, so that's why he wants you to raise the humidity (?). Do you have the option to consult another vet?

Also, you mentioned that the snake had a stone water dish before... Did it have problems when you used that? (I'm still considering allergies as a possible cause)

Just another idea, her belly scales resemble bad nails, so this could be fungi or vitamin deficiency (?).

Kathy Love is a great suggestion. She might be able to help you or at least add to the bunch of possibilities we already have.
I just PMed Kathy, I hope she has any suggestions.

This is the second vet I saw. I'm not so sure where to go. I don't have a car and I am currently physically disabled (can't walk) it is tough.
He didn't think it was a bad shed because we went over the fact that he has never had a bad shed and the the scales look more like shrinking and dimply.
He is trying something, it's all trial and error.. he has no idea either. He just wants to try and see if we can do anything.
I have these medications he prescribed and its too soon to tell if he is getting any better.
He did mention fungal infection and he said he will take a look at that dried yellow substance under the microscope. He said cultures would cost abotu $100 to $150. I already spent over $450 on him for this case. And I am barely working enough hours with my disability to pay the rent... it's a lot of money that gave me no results.

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Here is Kathy's page: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/member.php?u=1000

Thank you, I just pmed. I had no idea how because i haven't been on this site for a while

Caryl
03-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Kathy is a member here, and is always generous with her excellent advice. She really, truly cares about the snakes - and about people too! You could send her an email or a PM with a request for help in case she hasn't seen this thread.

*hugs* I hope this turns around for you and your snake. Maybe it's an extreme reaction to the plastic. Let's hope that's all it is. It's obvious he's going to need time to heal even after the plastic is gone, (assuming that's the root of the issue) but maybe... I've never seen a reptile with hives, but I've had a horrific case of them myself, including down the airways etc. I'm sadly not a vet, but this looks to me like an infection that might have started as some type of serious allergic reaction.

As others have said, raising the humidity won't "cause him to shed." It can be problematic for skin or respiratory problems. Ever had a heat rash or a fungal infection? Keeping it moist means keeping it miserable.

*hugs* again! Sending prayers up about you and positive energy your way.

JustineNYC
03-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Cursed witch, your very first pic reminds me of what was happening to Tula. Her scales were wilting away, shriveling up.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g156/HomeDepotGurl/IMG_1232.jpg

She had a few regurges and sadly passed away, but she also had a plastic water bowl. I hope you find whatever it is.

Nanci
03-05-2009, 05:38 PM
I think the circle spots look like the scales, or the covering of the scales, is wanting to lift up. I don't think he looks so bad. I think the couch incident just rubbed loose some scale coverings that were ready to go anyway. I don't think you HURT him. Honestly, after going to the vet, and the vet not instantly knowing it was some horrible condition, and it being a normal time of year for a feeding strike anyway, I would just be waiting for the next shed, to see what happens.

Nanci
03-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Another thought- are the circles on his nose water droplet spots from misting??

JustineNYC
03-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Ever had a heat rash or a fungal infection? Keeping it moist means keeping it miserable.

*hugs* again! Sending prayers up about you and positive energy your way.

The way the scale starts out clear and popping up and then the scales underneath end up shriveling with kind of a burnt look to them would make me think fungal.

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Cursed witch, your very first pic reminds me of what was happening to Tula. Her scales were wilting away, shriveling up.

She had a few regurges and sadly passed away, but she also had a plastic water bowl. I hope you find whatever it is.

Oh im sorry to hear that.
Does any of the other pictures look familiar to you?
It must have been harder to see it on a snake that is not as dark colored as him.

I'm wondering if this can be related to something he got from a frozen rat. I have not noticed when it exactly started because I was too busy taking care of my own health... but it was shortly after i got the bowl.. and shortly after he spit his food out on his last feeding back in december.
I have some pictures of that but I'm wondering if he caught something from the food.

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 05:49 PM
I think the circle spots look like the scales, or the covering of the scales, is wanting to lift up. I don't think he looks so bad. I think the couch incident just rubbed loose some scale coverings that were ready to go anyway. I don't think you HURT him. Honestly, after going to the vet, and the vet not instantly knowing it was some horrible condition, and it being a normal time of year for a feeding strike anyway, I would just be waiting for the next shed, to see what happens.

I can't not say I didn't hurt him.
I must have been more careful.

Some of the scales that got damaged during the incident looked like that layer that normally sheds... but the colored ones seem damaged too now. Im waiting for the vet to let me know if it is safe to apply cream or bathe him in the solution or if i need to urgently see him again.

But wouldn't you be worried if you were told that exact same thing by an exotic vet at the ER and then by some posters on here.... then after a little over a month he got worse and NEVER shed!?

What makes me so sure he will shed this time. I have taken all measures to get him to shed all this time.
I just don't want to wait this out and him getting worse by each day...
Now, i may have sped up the process by what happened to his scales.
He;s in the humidity box right now. I really hope this works.

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Another thought- are the circles on his nose water droplet spots from misting??

That's what i thought at first, but I have been cautiously watching him and I think they are not from misting.
I bathe him and made sure to wipe the head to see if they will disappear but they haven't. And honestly if you look at him with bare eyes you don't see them as clearly as the camera's zoom.

I just thought that they could be a hint to something.

I appreciate your answers. They are very informative

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 05:55 PM
The way the scale starts out clear and popping up and then the scales underneath end up shriveling with kind of a burnt look to them would make me think fungal.

He's never had a heat rash or fungal infection.
But the vet did mentioned it a couple of times when he was trying to guess what it was.
burnt look is a better explanation to how.

He did say that the meds he gave me should help

Nanci
03-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Well, you can't _make_ him shed, if it isn't time. I would be concerned, of course, but really all you can do, without a diagnosis, is wait. Adults don't shed very often.

danielle
03-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Have you never introduced plastic before these issues started? Like vines, water bowls, and the viv itself. Allergy would make sense, but I just think you would have had problems sooner. Maybe a new vet second set of eyes so to speak. Sorry the scales do look bad I hope everything ends up o.k.

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 06:16 PM
The vet just called me, I had sent him pictures of the accident.

He just said that he wouldn't be alarmed yet, some scales look more damaged but he told me to keep giving him his meds and he will check wiht me in 2 days. Told me to smooth them by hand

I asked him if it could have been a case of constipation, he said it might.
If he doesnt eat > he won't poop > not pooping can get him dehydrated > he could have skin problems.

I asked him about plastic allergy, he said, it might as well be that.
When I told him that there is a chance that this all started when i got the bowl, he told me to change it and get a ceramic one. He has heard of plastic allergy with other animals but never seen a snake one yet.

He told me to go ahead and try to feed him but a smaller size food.

i asked him about the fungal infection, he said it might as well.

In other words, there could be many possibilities and we can't know yet.
But the Nolvasan (Chlorexidine) soaks should help, and the sulfadiazine should cover if it was fungal.
He said we've covered different possibilities. Let's say what happens.
Told me to keep himidity between 40 and 60%, it's 52 now.
Because reptiles do everything slowly, we might not see any different until 2 weeks.
I'm still not relieved

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Have you never introduced plastic before these issues started? Like vines, water bowls, and the viv itself. Allergy would make sense, but I just think you would have had problems sooner. Maybe a new vet second set of eyes so to speak. Sorry the scales do look bad I hope everything ends up o.k.

He has never had anything plastic in there... I have artificial plant but it's been there for a good year or so.

I'm going to change it anyway.
Just gotta find a ceramic large bowl like that

Lennycorn
03-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the update.

JustineNYC
03-05-2009, 06:59 PM
He's never had a heat rash or fungal infection.
But the vet did mentioned it a couple of times when he was trying to guess what it was.
burnt look is a better explanation to how.

He did say that the meds he gave me should help

I went back and read your first post, you say he hasnt shed since Dec 21, and hes gotten worse instead of better, I would really wait and see what he looks like afterwards.

Its not odd he hasnt shed yet, Nancy is right, adults dont shed often.

If it was me, I would keep him as dry as possible.

Its weird his scales look like what would happen if you took plastic and lit a match to it, you know how it melts and wilts up.

Did the vet say he is sure its not scale rot?

danielle
03-05-2009, 07:03 PM
if there has been a plastic plant in there a year a plastic allergy would be weird, but is there anyway your water bowl also had latex in it. I am highly allergic to latex i know there will be jokes but its no laughing matter. I can't even wear latex gloves without a reaction so I would check that to be sure.

JustineNYC
03-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Oh im sorry to hear that.
Does any of the other pictures look familiar to you?

They do. Especially how your snake has one burnt looking scale and then the rest all around that are fine. Tula had the same thing on a few areas. I honestly dont know what the heck it could be. But like I said she also had a plastic water bowl. Coincidently I use ceramic now.

Hers werent as bad after she would shed, but she shed pretty often cause she was young.

Id love to see pics after he sheds.

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Its weird his scales look like what would happen if you took plastic and lit a match to it, you know how it melts and wilts up.

Did the vet say he is sure its not scale rot?
Exactly that's how they look like.
Once the shed skin (transparent) comes off the scales underneath look like that.

He did say he's pretty positive that it's not because they look brown and on his belly

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 07:22 PM
if there has been a plastic plant in there a year a plastic allergy would be weird, but is there anyway your water bowl also had latex in it. I am highly allergic to latex i know there will be jokes but its no laughing matter. I can't even wear latex gloves without a reaction so I would check that to be sure.

I don;t know>
There's no way i can tell because there's nothing written on it.
I'm going to change it anwyay.
Now where can I or how can i get a ceramic /safe large water bowl.
I also need to make sure it fits an almost 5 ft snake and in the width of the tank which is 1 foot. I got plenty of space if it was a rectangle

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 07:26 PM
They do. Especially how your snake has one burnt looking scale and then the rest all around that are fine. Tula had the same thing on a few areas. I honestly dont know what the heck it could be. But like I said she also had a plastic water bowl. Coincidently I use ceramic now.

Hers werent as bad after she would shed, but she shed pretty often cause she was young.

Id love to see pics after he sheds.
I have been waiting for him to shed for a long time now. If he eats his chances will increase.

I just don't understand how the scales look dimply too. Almost like he's been poked with something.

Was it winter time when she had that?

JustineNYC
03-05-2009, 07:30 PM
I have been waiting for him to shed for a long time now. If he eats his chances will increase.

I just don't understand how the scales look dimply too. Almost like he's been poked with something.

Was it winter time when she had that?

I think it was spring actually.

What have you tried to get him to eat? Did you slice his mouse and make it nice and hot? I make slits in mine when they are still frozen (less messy) and make a hole in the skull too.

I would also try warming the mouse in chicken broth. It worked for one of fussy eaters.

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 07:44 PM
I think it was spring actually.

What have you tried to get him to eat? Did you slice his mouse and make it nice and hot? I make slits in mine when they are still frozen (less messy) and make a hole in the skull too.

I would also try warming the mouse in chicken broth. It worked for one of fussy eaters.

I have tried those, I sliced, I made a whole in the skull too (this has worked before) I also change sizes of the foods to see if he would try at least, I left him overnight with the food, I put a small box as a hide in the food container in case he was shy, I left him in the dark with the food in case it was me he was afraid of,
I mean i wiggle the rat, normaly he'd strike at it in a split second, i wouldn't even have it close to him yet, he'd steal it with such strength and coil around it and devour in minutes..
he's normally a good eater.
I don't remember if i tried the broth. I think i didn't.
(my memory fails me sometimes)
I will try to feed him probably in the next few days, and i will try the broth and see if he would.

The vet also suggested if i can (which i might not be) get a freshly killed rat. Not forzen yet.

Shiari
03-05-2009, 07:58 PM
A lot of the typical signs of allergies are not going to be visible with a serpent. These include redness, inflammation/swelling, hives, and itchiness. Does he rub on stuff a lot? do the areas with the strongest scale issues ever seem "puffy"?

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 08:55 PM
A lot of the typical signs of allergies are not going to be visible with a serpent. These include redness, inflammation/swelling, hives, and itchiness. Does he rub on stuff a lot? do the areas with the strongest scale issues ever seem "puffy"?

No it doesnt.... at least i think so.

StormRose
03-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Hi CW. I'm glad you updated us, but sorry to hear it's not better news.

Just keep working with your vet, and try not to stress too much (I know it's hard). It sounds like it's going to be a bit of a waiting game to see if the treatments work, and you're going to drive yourself crazy with worry which isn't good for your own health.

You've gotten some good responses here, and your vet has given you a course of action to try, so you're doing everything in your power for your little guy. You're a good snake mom, and he knows that.

Keep us updated on his progress hun.
*hugs*

RobbiesCornField
03-05-2009, 10:08 PM
I think I'm going to go with the person who suggested plastic allergy.
It kind of makes sense because this whole thing started shortly after I got him a new plastic water bowl.
But does anybody know the symptoms of plastic allergy. Im trying to google it and i found nothing so far.

I asked him about plastic allergy, he said, it might as well be that.
When I told him that there is a chance that this all started when i got the bowl, he told me to change it and get a ceramic one. He has heard of plastic allergy with other animals but never seen a snake one yet.

Here's ArpeggioAngel's user page (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/member.php?u=7398). I know she's seen a plastic allergy firsthand, and should be able to answer your questions about symptoms.

It could have been even a different type of plastic, too. The plant could have been one type, the bowl another. Or, because the bowl holds his water, the plastic is actually getting into his system, causing the reaction. :shrugs: just a thought.

JustineNYC
03-05-2009, 10:13 PM
I have tried those, I sliced, I made a whole in the skull too (this has worked before) I also change sizes of the foods to see if he would try at least, I left him overnight with the food, I put a small box as a hide in the food container in case he was shy, I left him in the dark with the food in case it was me he was afraid of,
I mean i wiggle the rat, normaly he'd strike at it in a split second, i wouldn't even have it close to him yet, he'd steal it with such strength and coil around it and devour in minutes..
he's normally a good eater.
I don't remember if i tried the broth. I think i didn't.
(my memory fails me sometimes)
I will try to feed him probably in the next few days, and i will try the broth and see if he would.

The vet also suggested if i can (which i might not be) get a freshly killed rat. Not forzen yet.

Keep doing the slicing. You have other options too, you can warm the mouse in chicken broth or scent it with chicken blood...some people even have success when dipping it in tuna water prior to feeding.

I wouldnt offer him a mouse every day though. Offer, leave him with it long enough and then dont do it again for a few days.

My male doesnt go off his food but he is still young.....maybe its 'that time' for him.

Cursed_Witch
03-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Keep doing the slicing. You have other options too, you can warm the mouse in chicken broth or scent it with chicken blood...some people even have success when dipping it in tuna water prior to feeding.

I wouldnt offer him a mouse every day though. Offer, leave him with it long enough and then dont do it again for a few days.

My male doesnt go off his food but he is still young.....maybe its 'that time' for him.

Oh no I haven't been trying that often.
I only try on sundays or mondays. So it's once a week. Those are his normal feeding days.
That's why i said Ill try in the next few days, Sunday perhaps.

Thank you for all the suggestions Justine. I appreciate spend the time to post here today.

kathylove
03-06-2009, 12:40 AM
I don't know what it is, either. I have seen SOMETHING kind of like that a few times over the years. But the ones I have seen seemed like they were caused by physical scale damage, such as crawling on a very rough surface. I remember back when we used a couple of 8' Burmese pythons to do photos with people back in the 70s and 80s, if we had a really busy weekend with too much handling, one of the snakes occasionally looked like that. But if we rested them, they would recover with the next shed. But if there is an underlying infection, that would be a different story.

Did the vet say there was any reason to avoid Betadine wash? If it is a fungus, Betadine seems to be very good against many types. And it doesn't seem to have any bad down side. See if the vet has any reason to use or not use it.

Many snakes do go off feed for a month or two or more during winter, or during spring breeding season. So that may or may not be relevant to the problem. But as you say, eating might hasten shedding. However, I have found that snakes with damaged skin (for any reason) normally go into one shed after another until the problem is fixed.

Other than different anti-fungals and antibiotic meds that your vet might want to try, and of course, keeping the snake well hydrated with great husbandry, I am not sure what else to suggest. I think that until it sheds and you see the results, it may not be possible to properly evaluate its condition.

On the plus side, the photos made the snake look much better than I expected from the description you gave. I have seen far worse resulting just from too much handling and rough surfaces. If it looks better after the next shed, I wouldn't worry. But if it looks worse after the shed, then you might have to ask your herp vet to try to consult via phone or email with some other herp vets who might have seen something like this before.

Wish I could be of more help.

Good luck!