PDA

View Full Version : question about 1) aspen 2) amel making a clicking noise

question about 1) aspen 2) amel making a clicking noise

saszoo
03-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Hi again!

I've got a few questions, and i'll try to articulate myself correctly:

1 - I noticed on 3/4 that my amel - Kushy was in blue. his eyes were purple, he last shed on 2/10 - he's 7 months old, and eating double pinks about once a week. His room is at 75 F, with an UTH and a cool side. he's been found lately underneath his water dish on the cool side. Today noticed he's out of blue and i'm expecting a shed. but i notice that he's making that clicking, 'tsk' noise, like every five minutes or so, but several times when he does. i'm not noticing any mucous or weezing, I read a post saying those noises are common before a shed....... am i in the clear? He is acting normal, ate one pink today, and refused the second, which i would assume would be normal as he's getting ready for a shed, but it's been nine days since i fed him before that, he refused a pink the day before he was in blue. Before i fed him, I stuck him in a pillow case with warm wet towels, and could hear him clicking from in the pillow case.

2 - I am wondering if aspen is all that great of bedding. I've got Zoo Med's bedding which claims it is 99.9% dust free, but if i stick my head in his viv, i would think it would irriate my nose to breath that all day. I'm thinking about just going back to basics and lining his viv with paper towels, although he loves the aspen in the aspect he always burrows, like corns do.

For Q no. 1 i'd like some advice, but for Q no. 2 I guess i'm just indecisive and would like some opinions.

Thanks all!

Nanci
03-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Snakes that are blue, or even very recently shed, can make clicking noises, which is related to the shed. Unless he is still doing it several days after he sheds, I wouldn't worry. I'd be sure to remember to keep an eye on it, though, in case it isn't shed-related.

I use Kaytee aspen, and it doesn't seem dusty to me.

Why did you do the pillow case thing???

saszoo
03-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Why did you do the pillow case thing???

As opposed to giving him a bath, and i guess like sticking a wet towel in his viv, I stuck him in the pillow case with warm damp towels to up expose him to more humidity and soften the shed.

He shed last night - perfect shed - and i haven't heard a clicking noise yet today. He's 21.5 inches long! 5 inches since last shed! yay!

Thanks Nanci!

I am still iffy about the aspen though. Maybe i'll try a bag of the aspen you mentioned.

danielle
03-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Nanci you just made me feel better. I have a new girl who was deep in blue on thursday and I checked her last night since it was feeding night. She made a weird breathy noise not so much clicking before striking at her food. My first thought was respiratory infection and I was freaking but I will now wait to see if she does it again. I had an appointment for Monday but haven't heard her do it since last night. Maybe she was hissing at me? She is going to be a feisty girl I can tell!!