PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Rack!!

Brand New Rack!!

medusacoils
03-07-2009, 09:05 PM
This thing is a monster!

I built a new rack system. It's almost complete. I am waiting on the Flex Watt and stuff for the heating system. It's been on back order to over a week.

It can hold 36 Juvenile or 18 Adult Corns. Each shelf will have it's own heat strip on a separate rheostat. I just finished the main building of it. I put most of the tubs in it, and some storage stuff. I don't have any of the snakes in it yet. I still have to iron on the melamine stripping on the front to cover all the cut edges.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=243&pictureid=1703

I built it completely out of 4x8 melamine sheets, cut to size. It took about a day and a half to build!

Thank you all for looking.

Wayne

danielle
03-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Aren't you crafty very nice rack!!

medusacoils
03-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Aren't you crafty very nice rack!!

Thank you danielle!!

Jenstar
03-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Looks awesome. :) I need a real rack badly. My rack is just a large shelf that my tubs happen to fit on. I'm hoping to make or get a real one in the next year.

medusacoils
03-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Looks awesome. :) I need a real rack badly. My rack is just a large shelf that my tubs happen to fit on. I'm hoping to make or get a real one in the next year.

Build one! They are easy to build, if you are just a little handy. I would suggest building a little one that doesn't cost a lot, before tackling something huge. You figure out all kinds of things, by building a small one!

If ya need any help or some pointers, let us know!

Wayne

Duane
03-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Wayne the green handle tubs u have on there are they the ones that the handle just clips over? I have been checking them out at the local wal-mart and all the 1's i have looked at .....the top dont fit well so i been weary of buying them

Duane
03-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Opps btw very nice rack

medusacoils
03-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Wayne the green handle tubs u have on there are they the ones that the handle just clips over? I have been checking them out at the local wal-mart and all the 1's i have looked at .....the top dont fit well so i been weary of buying them

I was looking at them. They are actually fairly sturdy but I also use those bull clips as a back up. The 34 qt tubs will be secured by a bungee, just to make sure. :D The last thing I want, is for anything bad to happen.

Opps btw very nice rack

Thank you!! :D

You know, I built that darn thing a few days ago which is two weeks after I had surgery on my wrist for a torn ligament. So it was a slow painful process and I am quite proud of myself for finishing it. Probably wasn't the smartest thing to do, but hey, I lived through it. Just please, don't tell the doc or PT about it!!

Wayne

admitchell08
03-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Very nice rack!
I'm planning on building my first rack next week.
I want to build one that fits seven 34qt sterilite tubs just like the ones you have.
About how much did it cost to build something like you have? Is the melamine very expensive?

medusacoils
03-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Very nice rack!
I'm planning on building my first rack next week.
I want to build one that fits seven 34qt sterilite tubs just like the ones you have.
About how much did it cost to build something like you have? Is the melamine very expensive?

I used the 4x8 melamine sheets, which run about $35 each. I used four of them. I asked Home Depot to cut them down for a bit for me, so I didn't have to make a lot of cuts once I got them home. I also bought a couple of melamine planks and in hind site, I should have just bought another sheet. Live and learn I guess!!

I am gonna say that the whole thing, including the flexwatt, tubs, wood, and the little extras had cost me around $300. Give or take a few!

What is going to dictate your cost, is size, of course. So figure what you need and build to suit it. I have a much smaller rack that I built in a hurry and used for baby's. That thing is going for a major overhaul, now that I have this bad boy finished.

It was a lot of fun to build. I probably could have done it faster, if I didn't have to wear this damn brace.

Thank you for looking,

Wayne

admitchell08
03-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Well it turned out great, Wayne!
I'm nervous and excited at the same time about building my first one!
I will be sure to let you know how it goes.

medusacoils
03-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Well it turned out great, Wayne!
I'm nervous and excited at the same time about building my first one!
I will be sure to let you know how it goes.

If you need any pointers or anything, let me know. That is my third rack, to date. I may not have perfected it yet, but I am getting better.

One thing I learned with this one, is that I built it in two pieces. It splits in half, so the top comes off and that way, if I have to move it, I can.

Good Luck and if you need anything, let me know!!

Wayne

Drizzt80
03-09-2009, 11:33 PM
This thing is a monster!

I built a new rack system.

It can hold 36 Juvenile or 18 Adult Corns.Mmmm. Mmmm. Mmmmm. Look at all that extra space that needs to be filled (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78455). :sidestep:

:dgrin:
D80

Congrats on the project. As long as it works for you, it's what you need!

medusacoils
03-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Mmmm. Mmmm. Mmmmm. Look at all that extra space that needs to be filled (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78455). :sidestep:

:dgrin:
D80

I have been to that thread a couple of times, looking at your stock!! Trust me, it's very very tempting! I am waiting to see what your plans are for this season. I know you are scaling it back a bit, due to economy and lack of post "Turkey Day" nookie and all. But I am watching your site!! ;)

Congrats on the project. As long as it works for you, it's what you need!

The project was good. It's still not big enough *sigh* but only one rack system at a time.

Wayne

Drizzt80
03-10-2009, 12:05 AM
I am waiting to see what your plans are for this season. I know you are scaling it back a bit, due to economy and lack of post "Turkey Day" nookie and all. But I am watching your site!!Turkey Day Nookie excused, I've posted my project plans a week or so ago. I hope they meet your perusal . . . um, approval.

http://www.dakotacorns.com/2009Projects.html

D80

medusacoils
03-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Turkey Day Nookie excused, I've posted my project plans a week or so ago. I hope they meet your perusal . . . um, approval.

http://www.dakotacorns.com/2009Projects.html

D80

I dun need a link. I got you bookmarked, right at the top of the list!!

Drizzt80
03-10-2009, 01:46 PM
I dun need a link.I know that YOU don't need the link . . . ;)

D80

PJ@PJCReptiles
03-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Nice job Wayne! But as Brent said, seems to be a lot of empty usable/fillable bins! LOL
We peg board the backs of our racks. Helps with stability as well. Cant wait til you and your wife come up for visit with Faith!

Smiles
PJ :wavey:

Em Wright
03-18-2009, 03:12 PM

I use the same tubs for all of my snakes and they work well. :D

Wayne, that's a great rack, even with all of the gaps and space. I really need to tackle a project like this for my snakes. I keep thinking about it, I just need to get on the ball and DO it! ;)

Maize411
03-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Very nice looking rack system! Well done :)..I plan on making my own when I go to FL :)

medusacoils
03-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Nice job Wayne! But as Brent said, seems to be a lot of empty usable/fillable bins! LOL
We peg board the backs of our racks. Helps with stability as well. Cant wait til you and your wife come up for visit with Faith!

Smiles
PJ :wavey:

I didn't use peg board, but another board that was half the cost and made of the same material. It is very stable! I finally finished it with all the heat and rheostats and such. I have all the snakes in it now and I am going to be refurbishing my other one for hatchlings. I am gonna keep my small one as a quarantine rack.

I am very happy and I am hoping to fill them empty spaces this summer. :wavey:

Thank you everyone for the kind words!!

Wayne

Old_School
03-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Very Nice, I also made my racks out of Melamine. Some say it's heavy, but if you oun your house and plan on staying there, its not a problem. I also picked up my melamine at home depot. I purchased the 2' x 4' pieces, it was much easier to get home and I only had to make 1 cut per board once home.
Don't be afraid to try it guys/gals its very easy and self rewarding. plus the money you save making your own you can run out and get that Hypo Lav. Striped ya always wanted!! lol!
I made mine to hold the tubs lidless
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh47/cubefisher/snakes/DSCN2514-1.jpg
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh47/cubefisher/DSCN2892.jpg
Btw, The racks are filling up fast :crazy01:

Old_School
03-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Again Nice Job Wayne, just be careful, building racks can get as addicting as collecting Herps!!

Em Wright
03-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Those look so nice manofcornsnakes... I really like them!

I've been inspired to tackle this task, yes... yes I have. :D

medusacoils
03-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Again Nice Job Wayne, just be careful, building racks can get as addicting as collecting Herps!!

Very nice looking racks! I need to get some pics up of the finished one. It looks so much better then the one I got up! And, trust me, I know how addictive it is! The fun part though, is the filling! LOL!

Wayne

beckysdesigns
03-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Very nice looking racks! Great Job!!! Maybe one day I will build my own also...

Calift
03-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Geeeshhhh I love it!! When I'm older and have more permanent future plans I will definitely have nice, spacious racks like that!(big just didn't sound right before rack:p)

BMueller777
03-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Awesome, I can finally say "Nice rack" without a slap to the face :nyah:

Jimmus
04-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Very Nice, I also made my racks out of Melamine.
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh47/cubefisher/DSCN2892.jpg

A quick question as I will be making a rack shrotly.

How did you go about making each shelf, is each shelf one huge sheet spanning the entire width of the rack iwth those spacers between each shelf level OR are the shelves only one tub wide sheets?

PurraLovesJazz
04-08-2009, 07:13 PM
very nice! I need to build something like that. Do I seeee.. cricket food up there? (I'm guessing thats what it is... it looks like a container I have of it.)

Old_School
04-08-2009, 07:36 PM
A quick question as I will be making a rack shrotly.

How did you go about making each shelf, is each shelf one huge sheet spanning the entire width of the rack iwth those spacers between each shelf level OR are the shelves only one tub wide sheets?
There are two racks side by side in that pic each shelf is 36'' long then a divider is slid in to provide 2 tub spaces. Cut the dividers so they fit snug and they will serve as supports to prevent the shelf from sagging. :)

Old_School
04-08-2009, 08:06 PM
36'' shelves with snug fitting spacers ( provides support and prevents sagging) :)

Maize411
04-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Very nice rack :) I'll probably be messaging ya when I move to fl as I plan on making some rack systems once I move :)