• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Force Feeding - How???

rachel132002

I hope this will never be a case but as I want to breed i'm sure it's inevitable so how exactly do you forcefeed a snake???

Rach

Have a vet or a knowledgeable herper demonstrate this before trying it...

1) Hold the snake firmly in one hand and use a flat edge to gently pry the jaws apart (a credit card works well).

2) With the card still in the mouth to separating the upper from the lower jaw, insert the food item into the mouth. (Using an egg yolk for a lubricant help tremendously. Dip the food item in it beofre feeding)

3) Use the end of a rounded ink pen to gently push the food item past the jaws.

4) Once the item in completely inside the mouth and past the jaws, GENTLY push the item down the throat by massaging the throat. Usually the snake will start moving the item to its stomach voluntarily at this point.

WARNING: THIS IS A LAST RESORT TACTIC! IF YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING, DON"T DO IT! Force-feeding is very traumatic on the snake. It is possible to asphyxiate the snake if this is done incorrectly.

Okay thanks when I next go to my shop I'll ask him if he has any non feeders so he can show and guide me how to do this, I want to knows as much as possible before it comes up *prepared*

Rach;)

Just because a snake isn't eating, I would still hesitate to recommend force feeding unless the snake is going to expire without keeper intervention. IOW, this isn't something to do just to "see the process" first hand. I appreciate your desire to learn new techniques, but wait until it is really needed before subjecting a snake to this procedure. It isn't a pleasant experience for either party. :(

Just my .02.......

Can hatchlings starve themself to dead, or are they going to eat if they are really hungry!!

BOIXOS NOIS

Sorry!

But i have force feed my little wildcolour today!! it's almost 2 moth ago that he ate!

hopefully he will beginning eating now!!

BOIXOS NOIS

PLEEEEASE!

Force-feeding hatchling snakes anything but a section of mouse tail is BEGGING for disaster. Try deli cups, braining, scenting, live, tease-feeding, combining these tricks, ANYTHING but shoving a whole pinkie into the snake. Even those of us who know how to do it very seldom try. I don't know if I've actually ever saved a hatchling by doing this, and I used to try it on any stubborn feeders if enough time had passed.
Most snakes will eventually eat if you can just entice them to take that first meal. Even graybands and other known tough feeders are most often just a matter of getting them started. If the corn has taken food voluntarily EVER, I would resort to lots of measures before force-feeding.

Last edited:
If tried everything you know!

Even mesh up the pinkie and give him a little help to open his mouth! He just opened his mouth and then flip it out (the pinkie)

What i did was, slice the pinkie in 4 pieces and then with a strout, pushed the pieces gently down the snakes mouth!!!

And now he hold the pinkie inside!

It was the last thing to do, because he was very weak, it was this or the snake was dead!!!

Now he maybe has a chance to live!

BOIXOS NOIS

It would probably be best to cull the hatchlings that are willing to starve themselves to death. You wouldn't want to have any snakes het. for suicidal tendencies.

Just my opinion.:)

Het for suicidal tendancies! LOL

I'm with you Matt, just never would've thought to put it that way! LMAO!

I don't agree about da culling. I mean, thats a bit harsh hey?

B.T.W. Elrojo, thanx for da tupperware trick, it worked on ma corn this last week after 1 month of struggles!

I bought a snake a month back (not the above mentioned non-feeder), but this snake was approx 4 months old and has never eaten! I bought him for like 4/5 US dollars( - 50 SA Rand) and with trick upon trick upon trick I got him to eat within 1 day of purchase, where the previous owner failed because of lack of attention!

He's now growing strong and although he feeds out of my hand only, he enjoys a good 5 minutes of play with da mouse before I actually start da feeding.;)

Back