PDA

View Full Version : IKEA product that may work as snake rack??

IKEA product that may work as snake rack??

Drewby07
03-11-2009, 03:15 PM
So I'm looking through the IKEA website and I see this...

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/childrens_ikea/12019-2/

They sell the shelving / tubs and lids separately. I know it would take a little modification...but a 9 slot rack for less than $100? That's a deal!!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20087525

lyndy299
03-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Looks pretty good, had a look and you can get them in the UK also. My only issue is the fact that they are made from pine. Would this be an issue?

CrousesCorns
03-11-2009, 03:30 PM
I think you are on to something there. I liked this model better... http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99819558 If you take a skill saw and set your depth you can adjust the slider tracks to whatever you need. You also should have room for flexwatt on one side or the other. Place aluminum foil then flexwatt on the wood. I am getting ideas now just thinking about the possibilites. Thanks for finding these!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndy299
Looks pretty good, had a look and you can get them in the UK also. My only issue is the fact that they are made from pine. Would this be an issue?

It wouldn't be a problem if you used something with a lid. That is what I meant when you could adjust the track area with a skill saw. Depending on the container (like rubbermaid) you could make the tracks the appropiate size. I can also see this as a mice breeding rack...OH the possibilites

Drewby07
03-11-2009, 03:45 PM
AND....they sell the tubs that fit it....and lids.

As for the pine....it's sealed with clear acrylic....so I think it would be ok....

Jadie.Glitch
03-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Is 17w x 11d big enough for an adult corn??

I want those shelves SOO bad, but I would be afraid that there wouldn't be adequate room for them...

Is there a larger model?

Jadie.Glitch
03-11-2009, 03:51 PM
(sorry, double post.. had to add)

I LOVE the fact that the grooves holding the tubs in place act as the "binder clips"... There's no pushing out of those!

Drewby07
03-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Yeah...I'm not sure about the sizes, but it seems the 17x11 is the largest right now.

I'd probably use that fur my juvies....

It seems the lids sit down in a cutout in the top of the tubs...which is kinda cool. I may go to IKEA this weekend and check them out...I'll post what I find!

Jadie.Glitch
03-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Awesome, we'll be waiting ;)

RobbiesCornField
03-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Keep us "post"ed! :roflmao:

I slay me.

Drewby07
03-11-2009, 04:44 PM
lol...nice. :duck:

jen murphy
03-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Looks familiar! My almost 2 yr old nephew has that same setup, but he uses his for toys. It looks pretty sharp.

Blue Apple Herps
03-11-2009, 08:33 PM
I already use this set up for storage. When I bought mine a year or so ago, they didn't make it with lids. Even still I thought it might work for a rack.

Drewby07
03-11-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm going saturday....the 12 tub unit is totally on my list!!

Hallie
03-11-2009, 11:32 PM
A good friend of mine (and a member here) and I were actually just at Ikea last Wednesday looking at these as racks. They would need a few modifications, but I think they would work great! He is already planning on getting a small one for his 2 juvies (and using the remaining tubs for storage), and I've been considering getting a bigger one for some of my keepers.

Drewby07
03-11-2009, 11:35 PM
SWEET!...I think i can figure out lids pretty easily.......

Hallie
03-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Drew, I'm not sure if you have lots of hatchlings or anything, but I picked up 2 of these (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60118214) to try out as hatchling homes (or possibly to take hatchlings and small juvies to shows). Small hatchlings can get over the dividers, so I'm planning on using some aquarium sealer or something similar to raise the dividers about 1/8 of an inch. What do ya think?

Drewby07
03-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Looks good Hallie. I didn't see those there....but I wasn't really looking for comtainers.

The rack in question would definitely work....with a few modifications. They also offer a white melamine unit that is a good deal cheaper. I believe the 12-slot unit would have ended up costing approximately $85...not including the modifications I'd have to make. Obviously this is a good deal...but I didn't end up getting it this trip. I may change my mind in the future...and I'll post a DIY of the changes needed to make it snake-ready.

This is the breakdown of the price:

white melamine frame : $49.99
coordinating tubs (3.00 x 12): $36.00
Lids (1.50 x 12): $18.00
Total price...103.99

Just for fun, I tried ordering these pieces on the IKEA website...and the shipping was $116.48. Needless to say I won't be ordering online...LOL

Jadie.Glitch
03-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Looks good Hallie. I didn't see those there....but I wasn't really looking for comtainers.

The rack in question would definitely work....with a few modifications. They also offer a white melamine unit that is a good deal cheaper. I believe the 12-slot unit would have ended up costing approximately $85...not including the modifications I'd have to make. Obviously this is a good deal...but I didn't end up getting it this trip. I may change my mind in the future...and I'll post a DIY of the changes needed to make it snake-ready.

This is the breakdown of the price:

white melamine frame : $49.99
coordinating tubs (3.00 x 12): $36.00
Lids (1.50 x 12): $18.00
Total price...103.99

Just for fun, I tried ordering these pieces on the IKEA website...and the shipping was $116.48. Needless to say I won't be ordering online...LOL

White Melamine ones?? Did I miss something? Do you have a link to this specific product? ^_^

Drewby07
03-16-2009, 01:58 PM
VOILA!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00100250

Jadie.Glitch
03-16-2009, 02:44 PM
NICE. I definitely like that... I will be looking forward to your DIY! ^_^

JustinF
04-05-2009, 05:06 AM
I looked at these units a while ago to use in my garage to brumate adults or to hold hatchlings or juveniles and decided on the Ivar system instead. It is far more efficient as far as space is concerned, easily customizable as well. Does not require modification really, you can add as many or as few shelves as you want. I added some pine to the sides of the Ivar unit to increase insulation that I had cut at Home Depot to my measurements and mounted all my wiring to that as well as the Herpstat and a paper towel dispenser lol. I can easily disassemble them so they do not take up space and re assemble them as needed. I use them intermittently as well now so they are definitely worth it.

maxfox426
07-23-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm a little late to this thread, I realize, but I was looking around for shelving options and happened upon this using the search function.

Anyways, my questions...

How would one heat a system like this? Has anybody completed any rack systems based on these IKEA units?

Thanks! :)