• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What type of camera should I get?

Jenstar

IN OVER MY HEAD ;)
I need a new camera and I don't want to spend a ton of money, so I wanted to know what type of cameras you use? How much were they? And how good do they work?

The camera I have sucks and all of my pictures are blurry. It's so frustrating.

I would appreciate any help.

I know a lot of people like slr's. I have too many other hobbies right now to figure out the workings of an slr. I have a point and shoot....though it's a point and shoot with lots of bells and whistles, and I can get some special lenses, like extended optical zoom, better macro, filters, etc.... In my cameras, I like there to be a good macro mode, and a good optical zoom. I usually ignore digital zoom because I like to print my pictures and digital zoom tends to pixelate the printed picture.

I know a lot of people like slr's. I have too many other hobbies right now to figure out the workings of an slr. I have a point and shoot....though it's a point and shoot with lots of bells and whistles, and I can get some special lenses, like extended optical zoom, better macro, filters, etc.... In my cameras, I like there to be a good macro mode, and a good optical zoom. I usually ignore digital zoom because I like to print my pictures and digital zoom tends to pixelate the printed picture.
What camera do you use?

I love my nikon d50 but it is an dslr camera though not super expensive. I got the body, 2 lenses, extra battery, memory card, tripod, lens cleaner, and bunch of other stuff in a kit for less then $700 and its worth it long term.

Hi jen

If you want a point and shoot i would say get a Casio Exilim (any Model), i know what your thinking casio makes watch's i thought the same thing. I've been using them for three years now an their ace. If you want a DSLR i bought a Nikon D40 at Christmas and its stunning, Got mine for £280 with two lenes and its one of the best things i've every bought. Great for beginer's.

Just remember when buying a camera the amount of Megapixles are not that important. A computer screen and HD TV's will only show up to 6 megepixles. its only if your printing or editing your need more than 6.

Let us know how you get on :)

The quality of the lenses on a point and shoot camera is far more important that the number of megapixels, i would try and go for something with at least 8mp though because it helps if you want to crop pictures and enlarge them.

just some ideas here:
Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Black Digital Camera

Kodak EasyShare Z1012 IS Digital Camera

I haven't used any of these my self but they seem ok, they are both around £150, i dont know how much you are looking to spend.

You know what's important to me in a point and shoot camera? Fast start up. Easy to navigate menu. Presets that are actually useful.

If you want a point and shoot i would say get a Casio Exilim (any Model)

I took these yesterday with my Exilim. I'm on my third one- I love them so much I keep upgrading!

I, too, have a Casio Exilim. Two of them, in fact! I also have a Canon Digital Rebel XTi (it's a DSLR).

If you want a simple point-and-shoot, I would definitely go with the Exilim. Definitely my favorite point-and-shoot! They are extremely quick on start up and take amazing pictures. You can't go wrong with them. They are also pretty reasonably priced. I got my first one for $300 (I think?) a few years ago and last year I decided to get a new one and the prices had dropped to about $150 or $200...I'm not sure on prices these days, but surely they are pretty cheap. :D

Let us know what you end up getting!
:cheers:

The Kodak Easy Share is good, cheap little point and shoot camera! It's what I had and used for a very long time. In fact I think it only cost me $100. I've since upgraded to a Fuji FinePix S1000 and I love it but it cost a whole lot more than $100! I still keep that Kodak in the car and such for cases where I MUST get a shot.

I agree with people that point and shoot cameras will do fine, However... Dslr cameras offer so much more freedom, and much better results.

You can get a cheap body now, like the Canon Rebel series and a nicer(more expensive) lens.

For example, I have a rebel Xti body, with a beautiful 75-200 f. 2.4 lens. With a lens like this i can get wicked macro shots with very good sharpness.

I agree with people that point and shoot cameras will do fine, However... Dslr cameras offer so much more freedom, and much better results.

You can get a cheap body now, like the Canon Rebel series and a nicer(more expensive) lens.

For example, I have a rebel Xti body, with a beautiful 75-200 f. 2.4 lens. With a lens like this i can get wicked macro shots with very good sharpness.
If you want a really cheap body, the Nikon D40 with a lens is cheaper than most higher end point and shoots

True, and quality wise, Camera bodies don't differ to much. The lens is what you have to look at the most.

Back