PDA

View Full Version : A long story about a long recovery *kind of graphic*

A long story about a long recovery *kind of graphic*

carol
03-17-2009, 08:42 PM
More than a year ago this poor little guy started his ordeal. I had him in a bin that had a small ledge in it. Since this guy was three times the size of the ledge I didn't think it would be an issue. WRONG! Sometime while I was on vacation he managed to wedge himself between the lid and the ledge and got stuck. I have no idea how long he was stuck.

I kept an eye on him and at first it looked like a bruise, but it quickly became apparent that a good chunk of his body was "dead". I switched him to papertowels and kept him as clean as possible. His skin turned black and appeared as a giant scab. I wish now that I had taken pics but I was so sad and horrified by it I just couldn't take pics. I honestly expected him to be belly up everytime I checked on him. My husband kept telling me I should just put him down as he'd never recover. I was determined not to do so unless I could determine that the snake was in a lot of pain. Eventually the scab fell off and the poor kid had a large pink scaleless section. I upped the cleanliness even more. I continued to feed him small meals since I did not want to distend this area.

It's now more than a year later and even though his scales have not fully come back, some have actually started to grow. What's really cool is that his skin is no longer pink but a swirl of his scale colors. He is back on sani chips and now requires no more care than the others except smaller meals. He was advertised for sale when this incident happened, but I just could not trust him in anyones care until he was healed to the point to not having special needs. Now that he's at that point he is available for adoption to anyone interested, for a $50 shipping fee. He is a Hypo het Anery Lav Motley. I have no idea if he could breed, I dont' see why not but no garuntees on that. I'm not going to have another clutch of babies just to find out. :)

danielle
03-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Wow thats strange, but good for you for sticking it through he is looking not so bad now considering.

cajunmomof4
03-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Aww poor guy! I have always had a huge soft spot for special needs creatures. You did a great job rehabbing him!

KachineK
03-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Awww. Poor baby. Good to hear that he is doing well! If I had the room, I'd adopt him in a heart beat. But, I don't have the room. Hope he finds a good loving home! :)

Kachine Kolgon

Em Wright
03-17-2009, 10:37 PM
I hope you do find a good home for him, carol! He's a very pretty snake! :D

Iguanagirl8662
03-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Wow, I wouldn't have thought getting stuck there would cause that. I'm glad to see he made it.

vetusvates
03-17-2009, 11:38 PM
Carol, is it me, or do I see the face of Our Blessed Lord Jesus in the scar, if I look sideways?

carol
03-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Carol, is it me, or do I see the face of Our Blessed Lord Jesus in the scar, if I look sideways?

Oooooooh man, Ebay here I come!

J/K this lover boy has already found a new home, you guys are the best!

Nanci
03-18-2009, 05:38 AM
I'm glad he's going to such a great home. I can barely look at that! Poor guy! Lots of people use those bins...

LostNFound
03-18-2009, 07:22 AM
Well despite the fact that Eric saw Jesus in his swirls Carol is still going to be gracious enough to send me this guy instead of getting the big $$$ on ebay. Again Thank you Carol.

Like I told Carol I read his survival story and he stole my heart ... so he will be appropriately named Pilfer ;) (as long as Carol hasn't already given him a name of course ;) )

carol
03-18-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm glad he's going to such a great home. I can barely look at that! Poor guy! Lots of people use those bins...

Yes, and I kind of feel guilty for not posting a warning earlier, but I do think it's a very freak thing. However, that bin is now only used to hold snakes for the few minutes it takes me to change out the aspen in their bins.

Well despite the fact that Eric saw Jesus in his swirls Carol is still going to be gracious enough to send me this guy instead of getting the big $$$ on ebay. Again Thank you Carol.

Like I told Carol I read his survival story and he stole my heart ... so he will be appropriately named Pilfer ;) (as long as Carol hasn't already given him a name of course ;) )

Well, he stared off as PP Head because of a certain head marking. Funny Eric saw Jesus and not that. ;) (I know you can't see it in the pic) But he had a nasty scab on his back soooo long we started calling him Mr. Crustyback and would sing "Sexy Back" to him but changing the "sexy" to "crusty" whenever we cleaned him, fed him, checked on him. They say having a happy spirit helps people heal much more than overwhelming them with sympathy. :rofl:

Nanci
03-18-2009, 01:19 PM
I like the name Mr. Crustyback!

carol
03-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks! :) We felt so bad for him we had to come up with something to lighten the mood. It's worked well.

MinLynn
03-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Aww! If Erica wouldn't have snagged him, then I would've!(Matt? Matt who?) What a precious,hardy boy! I'm glad he's going to such a good home! Yay!

LostNFound
03-18-2009, 01:44 PM
well PP head wouldn't have worked for for MY house tho my son would have LOVE that name! hahaha Mr. Crustyback *giggle* cute ... I can handle singing a line or two from the song but PLEASE don't tell me I have to, like, play the song for him or something ... I don't know if I could make it all the way thru LoL

MinLynn
03-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Sorry, but I now have a mental picture of Erica with this snake singing "Crustyback" to it while dangling a mouse in front of him!

LostNFound
03-18-2009, 01:49 PM
you know you love the mental image LMAO ... I'm shaking my booty too :roflmao:

MinLynn
03-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Is the snakes tail thumping too?! 'Cause that would just make it all perfect!

DBLR78
03-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Erika you are such a brat i would have taken the snake and get my song of your page brat lol

LostNFound
04-01-2009, 11:14 AM
He is a Hypo het Anery Lav Motley. I have no idea if he could breed, I dont' see why not but no garuntees on that. I'm not going to have another clutch of babies just to find out. :)

given the fact that when I pulled him outta the bag he tried to make it with my finger I think he will be totally good to go LMAO

I think you gave him too much attention he doesn't know he's a snake! :roflmao:

carol
04-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Awww, he likes you! :p

LostNFound
04-01-2009, 11:41 AM
I had NEVER heard of a snake doing that before ... he freaked me out a little LoL

jenneses
04-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Congrats on the new love interest!

carol
04-01-2009, 12:10 PM
I had NEVER heard of a snake doing that before ... he freaked me out a little LoL

LOL. Well now you know! ;) It happens a lot here during breeding season, I end up holding the males like they've got cooties.

MinLynn
04-01-2009, 01:59 PM
LOL! That's frickin' great! He really is bringing sexy back!