PDA

View Full Version : My snow hasnt eaten in a month...

My snow hasnt eaten in a month...

JustineNYC
03-19-2009, 12:29 AM
She is sitting in her feeding tub again for the third time, doesnt look interested in this meal either. She must be hungry because she is very active in her viv, always out and climbing.

I dont know if this is related but sometimes when I pick her up, something is protruding from her cloaca.....it looks like the antennas of a snail is the best way to describe. Sometimes there is like clear stuff there, but when I pick her up it goes right back inside again.

Do females go off food too? And what is that peeking out of her?

Nanci
03-19-2009, 05:22 AM
Is she musking you?? When Choco and Inez get picked up, and they are for sure females, they will evert something out of their cloacas and musk.

Do you cover her up when she feeds? My Lila went on a HUGE feeding strike this winter, from November till February. I got her feeding again by offering rat pinks off tongs and having her hunt them in her viv. Yeah, I don't like feeding her in there, but I made sure they were perfectly dry, and handed them to her, and watched her swallow so no substrate went down.

JustineNYC
03-19-2009, 12:45 PM
No, no musking. I got a good look at it once, and it didnt come out when I lifted her, it was out already, and I went 'Ew what the hell was that' and it went right back in. She was sexed by a well known breeder, but I know there is still room for error there.

Im wondering if SHE is a HE. Both my males passed on their last meals. My females ate right away.

Sadler didnt eat either.

Both snakes are very active and not eating. Could anyone give it a guess if I posted pics of her?

chia44
03-19-2009, 12:50 PM
could those "antannaes" be hemipenes?

ratfink007
03-19-2009, 01:23 PM
i think those antennas could actually be the hemipennes making ur she a he, have you tried cutting your snakes food open so that it can get a bigger scent of the food this may help also try using tongs and making your snake work for its food this may help, also try feeding when it is dark in the evening if your not already doing this as it more natural for snakes and u may find this works, a month is not to much to worry about as long as not losing to much weight and activity seems normal u said she is active in her viv so this is good.
one more thing if she refuses to feed dont try again straight away as this may put her off her food altogether which can be fatal obviously try again a week or so later, i really hope this helps u im sure everything will be fine please let me know the outcome. good luck!!!! my fingers are crossed for you

darrell

JustineNYC
03-19-2009, 01:34 PM
i think those antennas could actually be the hemipennes making ur she a he, have you tried cutting your snakes food open so that it can get a bigger scent of the food this may help also try using tongs and making your snake work for its food this may help, also try feeding when it is dark in the evening if your not already doing this as it more natural for snakes and u may find this works, a month is not to much to worry about as long as not losing to much weight and activity seems normal u said she is active in her viv so this is good.
one more thing if she refuses to feed dont try again straight away as this may put her off her food altogether which can be fatal obviously try again a week or so later, i really hope this helps u im sure everything will be fine please let me know the outcome. good luck!!!! my fingers are crossed for you

darrell

I know. Ive only tried 3 times in the last 3 to 4 weeks. I always slit and leave overnight.

She refused once before right before a shed, so thats why I waited a week. But she hasnt shed. She is a snow, mainly white so its IMPOSSIBLE to see when she is going to shed. I see her out and climbing and I go "Oh good shes hungry" But nope.

Tongs wont work with her, she needs to be left alone in the dark to eat. Her last meal was a jumbo about 4 weeks ago, she pooped twice within about 5 days.

Yesterday I did find urates so I know she is drinking.

Last week she was 376 grams. Im not super concerned as I know she isnt sick, but how long can a snake that size go without food?

ratfink007
03-19-2009, 02:07 PM
right ok dont worry, im not sure exactly how long she can go wiyhout eating but even if she went another month it shouldnt be life threatning, sometimes corns go on a hunger strike when it is time for mating that is not uncommon and then bang after a couple of months they go back to there usual feeding patterns.
why wont she strike for food when using tongs? she should do? also you said she was blue but then did not shed how long ago was this?
i can only think to keep trying every week or so for the next couple of weeks if still no joy try giving her smaller mice and see if she will take those, like i said before it is still early days and if she is still active and drinking and not losing weight there should be no great cause for concern yet corns are funny little thing whwn she wants to eat she will. please keep me posted im sure its gonna be fine

darrell

Nanci
03-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Ok- hemipenes are turned inside out when they are inside. So a little end can't stick out, the whole thing would have to evert itself, like turning a sock inside out, and there would be no doubt it was a hemipenis. Not like a snail coming out of a shell a little at a time. If that makes any sense.

Justine, don't freak out, she can go MONTHS.

JustineNYC
03-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Oh good. Thanks!!!

Honestly I wouldnt know a hemi-whatever if I got hit in the face with one. Maybe when she hears me take the lid off, she gets her musking thingie ready? LOL Does it have a clear like piece to it? Looked like a piece of plastic.

Sadler isnt eating either, and he is definitely a boy....its been a few weeks for him too, hes an 07 and 269 grams.

Since I just weighed everyone, Im just going to keep an eye on their weight and try again next week. Maybe Ill try broth.

JustineNYC
03-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Is she musking you?? When Choco and Inez get picked up, and they are for sure females, they will evert something out of their cloacas and musk.

Do you cover her up when she feeds? My Lila went on a HUGE feeding strike this winter, from November till February. I got her feeding again by offering rat pinks off tongs and having her hunt them in her viv. Yeah, I don't like feeding her in there, but I made sure they were perfectly dry, and handed them to her, and watched her swallow so no substrate went down.

The next time I offer, I can leave her in her viv with the mouse. Ill just take all the aspen out....by next week itll need to be dumped out anyway. Maybe thatll work.