PDA

View Full Version : My Corn shed 5 days ago...

My Corn shed 5 days ago...

tblairunr
09-11-2003, 07:37 PM
I have just spent the last 1 hour and 1/2 hours on a search about shedding. There were 4 pages worth! Phew! However, I read almost all of the posts, but I could not find a satisfying answer. So, someone, anyone, please help me.
-My juvenile corn shed 5 days ago. I noticed that he (CHAOS) had some white scales or what appear to me as white scales. Maybe not white scales, but around some scales it is white. Is this a moisture problem? Another thought is, he may be growing? Chaos is my first corn. I bought him August 30, 03. He is ~2 1/2 feet long (30 inches, I think). He lives in a 20 gallon long tank, has a big water bowl, has a fake branch, and a cut- out tree. The substrate is reptibark. The temps are 85º warm side and 79º cool side. I live in Reno, Nevada and we have hot summers. So, I don't need a heat pad until winter. I hope this is enough info. Thanks to all who reply.

-tblairunr
:confused:

Chip
09-11-2003, 08:38 PM
the problem could be a few loose scales. If so use blue painter's tape (I keep it occupationally but have more than one snake-related use for it) to adhere to the areas and remove them. On second thought, it could be a normal color change that the snake is going through; similar to the much maligned "black tipping" that often occurs in milksnakes or corns that delvelop a wash of melanin which "dirties" their color. Just a guess, but I'd imagine it's one of the two issues.
BTW, there seems to me to be NO WAY you have a two and a half foot snake born less than a month ago.:confused:

tblairunr
09-11-2003, 08:46 PM
LOL :D

I bought him less thn a month ago and he was already that big. He is a juvenile.

13mur 6
09-11-2003, 09:01 PM
What morph is Chaos? If he's any type of albino he may be developing more white areas or some sort of speckling. If he's a normal phase, or a normal variant, then it might be loose scales as elrojo said.

Take a look at his eyes and it'll tell you right away, if they're red he's an albino (or amelanistic, there's more than one type of "albinism" in corns).

-Lemur 6

tblairunr
09-11-2003, 11:21 PM
Uh oh, he is a rat corn, ya know, the red ones. So, I take it I should be worried. Please tell me it's nothing serious.

-tblairunr

CornCrazy
09-12-2003, 05:18 AM
So you have a creamsicle (Corn X Great Plains Rat Snake). All amelanistic snakes of this crossing are considered to be creamsicles.

Don't worry just yet. This may be a normal color development. Does your snake act normal? Or are there other "symptoms" as well. If your snake is eating, drinking, defecating, and growing, then you should just keep an eye on it. If you see anything else abnormal, then you might want to take him to a vet.

Good luck! By the way, post a picture if possible. It makes it easier for other people to help!

tblairunr
09-14-2003, 07:34 PM
He is doing all of his normal activities that you mentioned. For now I will keep handling him like usual. Thanks for your reply.

-tblairunr