PDA

View Full Version : Random feeding question!

Random feeding question!

James_pie
03-23-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm feeding my corns live mice, just wanted to ask if it's normal for the mice to urinate all over my snakes?! while it's being >.<

EmJagsz
03-23-2009, 05:48 PM
The few times I've fed live pinkies and fuzzies, all occasions, the mice have urinated... I think it's something that just happens.... Especially if it's being squeezed :shrugs:

torsten
03-23-2009, 06:01 PM
May i ask why you are feeding live mice? Or have i missed that somewhere?

mindfreak
03-23-2009, 06:54 PM
It does happen sometimes, I wouldn't be concerned.

As a sidenote; I've fed live mice for the past six years and about a year ago switched to f/t mice. I have a snake that is almost nine years old now that never once had a problem eating live, but was bit by a mouse a while ago. I've found myself a lot more at ease feeding f/t, as before I had to watch and make sure the mouse didn't harm the snake or get away. It's a lot cheaper and safer for everyone, and much easier for me, the snake, and the mouse. My feeding schedule doesn't revolve around how much gas I have or how often the nearest petstore is stocked, the mouse dies a painless, remotely humane death, and the snake is fed, happy, and injury-free.

However, the choice is entirely yours. I know that by posting that you feed live mice, you will more than likely get flamed by some diehard f/t feeders.
I'd suggest you look into f/t--research both options and make an informed decision as to what you want to do with your snakes. There are certainly no disadvantages to feeding f/t and I am in no way opposed to either option, but you should review your reasoning for feeding live and make sure you are doing what is right for your snake.

And torsten, whether the OP feeds live or not is his choice. I hope that people here can see that and try to give him information regarding feeding f/t vs. live rather than automatically ripping his head off.

Topazfyre
03-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Yeah, as the others said it might be a good idea in the long run to switch to frozen/thawed. Not only is it safer for the snake, but it's also more convenient.

As for the mice urinating, it's perfectly normal that this happens. Actually, I'd be more concerned if it didn't happen. When anything (including people) dies, the muscles that hold in waste, like urine and feces, relax and the waste is excreted. It can also happen if the mouse is afraid, which I know I would be with a predator a foot away ready to eat me. ;)

Chris Flanary
03-24-2009, 12:27 AM
the mouse urinating is common and nothing to be scared about

torsten
03-24-2009, 06:25 AM
And torsten, whether the OP feeds live or not is his choice. I hope that people here can see that and try to give him information regarding feeding f/t vs. live rather than automatically ripping his head off.

I totally agree, i never said anything against feeding live... :shrugs::shrugs:
And my question still stands: 'is there any specific reason for feeding live?' :headbang:
I have no problem with people feeding live if they have thought through the possible consequences and weighed up the options.

i just thought i would try and get in first to check if there was a reason he was doing so and therefore prevent the inevitable flaming which comes every time someone mentions feeding live.

If you want more info on feed live or f/t mice then just type it into the search box at the top of this page and you will see many members of this forums views on it.

there are some pretty horrible photos of snakes which have been attacked by rodents around somewhere.

I have offered live food on several occasions before, never to corns and only to try and get non-feeders eating so i don't have any problem with it in the right circumstances.

mindfreak
03-24-2009, 11:15 AM
i just thought i would try and get in first to check if there was a reason he was doing so and therefore prevent the inevitable flaming which comes every time someone mentions feeding live.

I apologize if I sounded insulting at all, I didn't mean to be hostile in any way.

The way you said that seemed out of the blue and a little condescending to me and again I apologize if I interpreted that wrong.
I've been in a position where I was feeding live and wanted to switch to f/t, but instead of people (yes, here) giving me their own personal opinions on the matter, I got flamed to all hell. I ultimately decided to switch to f/t for the snake's sake--what people here said to me frankly didn't matter and their 'yelling' was all for naught.

The way I see it, as an owner that has fed both f/t and live for quite a while now, there are advantages to both approaches, but only feeding live has disadvantages which can quickly turn to dire consequences.

As fellow snake owners, I think we have a duty, in a way, to do our best to help the OP take the best care of his snake that he can--but we can't actually control what he does. I'm sick of owners that feed f/t yelling and screaming and calling live feeders bad owners and inconsiderate people.

Maybe I'm just sensitive. :shrugs:

torsten
03-24-2009, 11:23 AM
I agree that the flaming IS unnecessary, BUT, many members of these forums have seen the problems it can cause and have been answering threads where someone is feed live because it looks cool, or for whatever other reason they have and i expect many of them are gradually losing patience with the at least once a week mention of someone feeding live.

The reason i said it as i did was in an attempt to be polite and not sound like i was attacking them for it. there seem to be so many threads on live feeding that i did not know whether he was feeding live due to a specific need or not. in fact i still don't know that.

torsten
03-24-2009, 11:24 AM
I would also like to add to that, that i don't think that the first paragraph is an excuse for it, perhaps just a contributing reason.

mindfreak
03-24-2009, 11:35 AM
I would also like to add to that, that i don't think that the first paragraph is an excuse for it, perhaps just a contributing reason.

I don't know if this was directed towards me, but I'm not making excuses for anything. I'm explaining my position for two reasons here: to show the OP that maybe feeding live isn't the best idea, and to explain to you why I may be sensitive to the live/ft war.

I agree completely with your reasoning and thank you for being gentle about it. I wasn't sure where you were going with it at first and felt a little defensive. Again I apologize if you felt targeted in any way because that is certainly not what I meant to do.

torsten
03-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Sorry, this:

was in reference to my previous post where i said:
I agree that the flaming IS unnecessary, BUT, many members of these forums have seen the problems it can cause and have been answering threads where someone is feed live because it looks cool, or for whatever other reason they have and i expect many of them are gradually losing patience with the at least once a week mention of someone feeding live.

mindfreak
03-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Ah, touche.

We seem to be in agreement then. :)

I think someone needs to make a sticky thread that just lays down the facts. That way everyone could just direct new owners/live feeders to the thread and if they continue to choose to feed live for the purpose of filming it and showing their friends, THEN we have full flaming rights. :D

James_pie
03-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Simply put.. ever since I was a little boy, I was fascinated by snakes and their eating environment. Now that I'm old enough to actually own a snake, it was partly because to enjoy and expirence nothing like watching the Animal Planet channel. Don't get me wrong, I love these creatures and I would go into measures beyond my own personal needs, to secure their safety. In consideration, I make sure each feeding as an adult corn snake.. the mice are stunned to an extent that will secure the safety of my corns. This may not sound appealing to you faint hearted, but everything does happen for a reason. My uncle would say, it's a vicious cycle. I guess, it all comes down to the owner.

James_pie
03-25-2009, 02:39 PM
^ I LoL