PDA

View Full Version : Just shed/Still Not Eating

Just shed/Still Not Eating

HeatherLegolas
03-23-2009, 09:23 PM
My 7 month old corn snake just shed, a piece of skin (his head part) is still stuck to the back of his neck. I massaged him with a warm damp washrag for about 10 minutes so hopefully it'll come off tomorrow (the head part is entirely shed off, just a piece of it is hanging off the back of his neck so his eyecaps are good).

But he hasn't eaten in 2 weeks...this is the longest he has gone without food. Since he just completed his shed (well...almost), his "pms" was gone and I figured he'd be starving enough to take a fuzzy. Wasn't interested in it at all, just wanted to go exploring. Is this a sign that he's probably sick?? :awcrap:

Again his temps are normal, 80-86 on the high, about 75 on the low.

HeatherLegolas
03-23-2009, 09:36 PM
I just read something about males "fasting" in the spring due to mating...is this possible? If so...how long should I expect his fasting to continue?

danielle
03-23-2009, 10:01 PM
I wouldn't think at that age he is looking for love, but 2 weeks isn't that long anyway. Sometimes a smaller meal when they go through this is enough to get them back on board. I would get a pinkie, defrost in warm water, and slit it to make it smell more appealing in a few days and see if he takes this. A fuzzy is a big meal for a wee worm and maybe he just isn't that hungry yet.

Chris Flanary
03-24-2009, 12:24 AM
2 weeks isnt long jus wait a few days and offer him food again and hopefully he'll eat eventually. good luck

Cat_Eyed_Lady
03-24-2009, 02:12 AM
2 threads about the same snake with the same problem probably wont get you any different answers :)

HeatherLegolas
03-24-2009, 03:32 PM
lol sorry...I'm a "forum" newbie, I didn't think to continue with my other post lol.

I'll pick up a pinkie later on today and see if he takes that...he was wandering around this morning as if he was looking for food...snakes are so confusing.

pwargcm
03-24-2009, 08:18 PM
most people on here would frown about this, but i have a July hatchling thats been eating f/t hoppers for a while and recently stopped eating. tried f/t a few times, tried a couple p/k, after a while i just put in a live and he ate it like a bat outta hell. so i gave another f/t but nothing. so i tried p/k and nothing, another live and same thing. so now i went from f/t to live. it sucks, but its better than not eating. i dont know why he wanted live again, but hes an agressive eater and loves to kill everything he can i guess. try some p/k or live if you want. just stun the mouse. maybe its the pulse or heartbeat that does it. who knows.

HeatherLegolas
03-30-2009, 03:49 PM
He finally ate! It was his regular thawed one too. I'm wondering if his particularly bad shed had something to do with it...it was a really bad shed :-(. Normally he sheds in two pieces...