PDA

View Full Version : I need help with a heating issue...Please

I need help with a heating issue...Please

Jayeswaxlion
03-27-2009, 01:30 PM
I am converting a former Hutch into a terrarium, when finished there will be about the equivalent of a 135 gallon tank.(here are for pictures for reference...
The Front = http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a378/adrianb77/Snake%20Terrarium/frntsnkcg.jpg
...and the back = http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a378/adrianb77/Snake%20Terrarium/Bcksnkcg.jpg
As you can see the flooring is wooden and therefore not suitable for UTH heating (according to the package directions), so I plan to put a UTH on the side glass panel. I have purchased a 50-60 gallon or 12"x18" UTH for this purpose, however I have heard that it is not nearly as efficient so I know I need another heat source. I have sealed all seams, edges and non-accessible areas with a silicone caulk to prevent heat leakage from those areas. The top will be cut and a "Zilla" fresh air screen cover (30"L x12"W) will be installed to be permanently fixed, as the doors will have locks and I will have access to the cage that way instead of from the top. I was planning to buy heat lamps to go on top. I had also planned to place treated Pegboard for the back for ventilation, but do I need that with a screen top or should I double the pegboard to allow some but less ventilation? The shelves are glass is it possible to put a 20 gallon UTH under a shelf (I would have to create a hole in the back for the cord) or will that be too hot?
Any suggestions are welcome… If I haven’t given enough information, please ask.

bitsy
03-27-2009, 02:51 PM
I use a UTH in a wooden viv. As long as you control it with a thermostat, it will never get hot enough to damage the wood. To prepare it, the wood was sanded absolutely smooth and then given three coats of varnish, sanding again between applications. I also use UTHs underneath melamine vivs, and the floors conduct the heat as required.

I'd stick with a UTH on or under the floor (with a stat) and not worry about other heat sources. Heat lamps can lower humidity, and with that amount of ventilation planned, you may already have a bit of an issue. I'd go with less ventilation rather than more. Corns don't seem to need high humidity in capticity, but you do need an environment that will allow slightly higher than ambient humidity. Because of this, make sure you seal all exposed wood, to make it damp resistant.

As for the glass shelf; as long as you use a thermostat, the UTH will never be hot enough to cause any damage. People use UTHs with glass tanks very successsfully this way.

whatisntseen
03-27-2009, 03:06 PM
If you want to put the UTH on the bottom, you can put it on the inside. Some people attach tiles or plexiglass to their uth and fexwatt. Then just put it iniside and run the wire out to your tstat. You shouldn't have an issue with it otherwise.

danny819
03-27-2009, 03:40 PM
You could use a radient heat panel. They are a little pricey but if you are making a furniture quality display another $60 (ish) shouldn't be an issue. I also don't see an issue with using the uth on wood. I use dimmer switches on flexwatt but with storebought ones I plug directly into the wall.

Jayeswaxlion
03-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks so much for all the great suggestions, i think I will sandwich the larger UTH between glass panels at the bottom of the terrarium (since I don't need allthe shelves in the Terraium) and as suggested with a rheostat to make sure I don't have any issues or at least can see when I do before my house burns down.