PDA

View Full Version : I'm wanting to try a living vivarium.

I'm wanting to try a living vivarium.

ZiVvmO
03-27-2009, 10:04 PM
I've been getting the idea in my head to try living vivs for my 3 slithery roommates. I've looked around and found a whole lot about tropical frogs, but nothing on corns.

Has anyone here done something like this or seen any resources?

JustineNYC
03-28-2009, 06:31 PM
You mean with the dirt bottom and growing live plants? I saw a nice one that someone did for their geckos, but I would think the dirt would have to be moisted to grow plants. May cause an issue for corns.

Nanci
03-28-2009, 06:32 PM
The book for you is The Art of Keeping Snakes. You'll love it if you want a natural vivarium.

ZiVvmO
03-28-2009, 07:26 PM
The book for you is The Art of Keeping Snakes. You'll love it if you want a natural vivarium.

Thanks. I'll check into it.

sachamama
04-03-2009, 04:37 AM
Hi, I will chime in on that one - about the book. I have it and it converted me completely onto the "naturalistic vivaria". I havent set them up yet as Im about to move a house soon, but planning to do it afterwards. I have researched it quite a bit on the net where they specialize in these and by the sound of it corns should very much enjoy such environment. Yes care needs to be taken that its set up with drier conditions for corns than some other species.

Id definitely recommend the book Nanci suggests.

Asbit
04-03-2009, 01:31 PM
I also have recently purchased "The Art of Keeping Snakes-de Vosjoli" and have briefly read the live viv section and found it very interesting.... lots of info on types of plants specifically for types of snakes, how to fertilize the plants, lighting requirements etc. I also have "Corn Snakes The Comprehensive Owner's Guide-Love and Love" and absolutely excellent book! Both are part of the Herpetocultural Library series by Advanced Vivarium Systems. You can easily find them at www.avsbooks.com or by calling 1-866-888-5526.

necromantica
04-23-2009, 11:12 PM
I would be careful with using soil, My first ever cornsnake was a little 4 month old snow I had picked up at a petsmart, being it was my first ever snake it was one of those "omg, its so cute! I wan one!" And I did the dumbest thing ever. DIDN'T check for mites. I was so excited about getting a snake I just totally overlooked it.
I had used a verry thin layer of coconut fiber because its good for live vivariums, well that night I noticed the snake kept rubbing allover everything. I discovered she was COVERED in mites, like life threatening kinda covered. I treated her immidiately and called and informed petsmart theres a mite infestation in there reptile section. "they didnt know what mites were"

The next morning, when I had thought the problem was solved, I found out the mites were so bad they were inside her. "crawling out of her eyes"
She was well dead, and had tried to use the soil to stop the itching. She had soil in her nose and mouth. We dont know if the soil or the mites killed her first.

But I really wouldn't recomend soil.

Brewster320
04-24-2009, 01:21 AM
I would be careful with using soil, My first ever cornsnake was a little 4 month old snow I had picked up at a petsmart, being it was my first ever snake it was one of those "omg, its so cute! I wan one!" And I did the dumbest thing ever. DIDN'T check for mites. I was so excited about getting a snake I just totally overlooked it.
I had used a verry thin layer of coconut fiber because its good for live vivariums, well that night I noticed the snake kept rubbing allover everything. I discovered she was COVERED in mites, like life threatening kinda covered. I treated her immidiately and called and informed petsmart theres a mite infestation in there reptile section. "they didnt know what mites were"

The next morning, when I had thought the problem was solved, I found out the mites were so bad they were inside her. "crawling out of her eyes"
She was well dead, and had tried to use the soil to stop the itching. She had soil in her nose and mouth. We dont know if the soil or the mites killed her first.

But I really wouldn't recomend soil.

If the snake didn't have mites the soil would've been a problem though. after all they do live on soil (aka dirt) in the wild. But impaction is always a risk, i'd still recommend feeidng outside the viv. Also I find vivs awesome. i have one for the crested geckos. i tried making on for my garter snke when he was smaller but he turned out to be very desructive so I gave up on it. I'm sure it could work though, just not with my little devil lol. i also have the book you guys are talking about. Very cool book, something I would try if I had the room.

kloe2008
12-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Have read that book, it's very good... =]

Floof
12-28-2009, 01:36 AM
Ditto on the book recommendation. I have it and love it! Because of it, I want to get a garter snake and build it a big, land-and-water planted viv... Fun!

Doing a planted viv for a corn snake will probably be complicated. Most corns like to burrow, and you can't be sure it won't dig up the plant if/when it does. Good luck! Make sure to post pics and let us all know how it goes. =)

Pickle
12-30-2009, 11:52 AM
I think i may also purchase this book! Maybe i'll incorporate the idea of a 'living' viv when we build Flo's new home!

eawndl
12-30-2009, 02:18 PM
This book sounds really interesting. I think I will look into it as well :-)

But question. when having a live viv, does it raise or do anything to the humidity and temp?

Floof
12-31-2009, 03:20 AM
This book sounds really interesting. I think I will look into it as well :-)

But question. when having a live viv, does it raise or do anything to the humidity and temp?

I don't know about temps, but a live viv will raise the humidity. This might be a problem for corn snakes, unless you find the "right" plants.

Jase82
01-18-2010, 04:53 PM
I was thinking about planting succulents in my vivarium, just a few, do you guys think this may work? I would cover the soil (there wont be much) in wood shavings.