PDA

View Full Version : Paint fumes...

Paint fumes...

JustineNYC
03-31-2009, 09:18 PM
MY DIY is finally done!! I'm going to post it when I get the snakes settled in cause I want to take more photos of it. I used pegboard for the back, primed it, and sealed it with Krylon sealer....I also siliconed every corner in the inside....so the big question is.....IT STINKS....how long does it take to air these things out? When can I move them in?

Lennycorn
03-31-2009, 09:23 PM
Girl....I think I am owed a picture before that time (snake settle in). Ha!

You can try to let dry/air outside too. That might help reduce the waitting time.

If you can carry it. hehe

JustineNYC
03-31-2009, 10:26 PM
Outside isn't really an option, you have to go down steps to get out the front and back.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g156/HomeDepotGurl/IMG_2914-1.jpg

sezmra
03-31-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm so jealous! But you're inspiring me!

Sorry that I have nothing to add about your dilemma, I just couldn't hold my excitement. :)

JustineNYC
03-31-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm so jealous! But you're inspiring me!

Sorry that I have nothing to add about your dilemma, I just couldn't hold my excitement. :)

Thanks!! I took notes and photos and everything I used, and made other notes on what kind of problems I ran into because this was my first DIY. I'll be posting them soon!! Im pretty happy with how it turned out, Im a 100 pound ditzy blonde with a drill, if I can do it, anyone can! LOL

sezmra
03-31-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks!! I took notes and photos and everything I used, and made other notes on what kind of problems I ran into because this was my first DIY. I'll be posting them soon!! Im pretty happy with how it turned out, Im a 100 pound ditzy blonde with a drill, if I can do it, anyone can! LOL

Haha! Well you seem pretty tool-savvy to me! I spent the afternoon reading the DIY forum in near entirety. I'm considering building something myself - so I will definitely be looking forward to your DIY specs!

Can't wait to see the snakes in it. :)

The_Thunderer
03-31-2009, 10:40 PM
Congrats on the great looking work! Looks like you did an awesome job!

I would wait as long as it takes... would it be possible to have a fan blow on it constantly? That would help reduce the "wait time" but it might also help the fumes blow throughout the house for a while. If you could possibly put it in a room where the window could be opened WITH a fan blowing on it... that would really help.

Congrats again! I too look forward to seeing your DIY specs as well!

LawDog1
03-31-2009, 11:11 PM
Very nice work. It looks great. I am jealous too, I started mine before you and you finished first. Seeing yours and all the other real nice vivs on here makes me want to hurry and get it done.

I asked a few weeks back about how long to let paint dry and I was told at least a week, but I am sure if it is warm, dry, and gets decent airflow it may dry sooner. Of course, the opposite is true too.

Again, Congrats! cant wait to see pics with the new tenants in their homes.
Jimmy

Susielea
04-01-2009, 01:19 AM
I've never painted and sealed a viv, but have used aquarium sealant for resealing joins/corners in vivs. It usually says to leave for 2 or 3 days but I've found it takes a week to 10 days for the smell to go completely. I think Fred's (The_Thunderer) idea sounds good though :)

Fantastic job you've done there! It looks awesome and I'm sure the snakes will love it :)