PDA

View Full Version : Oh no, he yakked!

Oh no, he yakked!

scary.thin.man
04-06-2009, 02:22 PM
So our new baby pewter Jude regurged his meal from Friday. This was yesterday that I saw ( and smelled, P.U.!!) the regurge. This is the first regurge that he has ever had and I'm not for sure what caused it. His temps are good, his viv is clean, and he always has water. Just wanted to ask everyone's advice on how to handle things. So far I have :

1. Ordered some Nutribac.
2. Instituted the beginnings of the regurge protocol. No feeding ( and then only a pinky head) until next Wednesday and no handling
3. Raised his temps just slightly so the warm side is now running about 85-86 degrees as opposed to 82-84.

Now, when I get the Nutribac, do I need to start dosing him with a syringe or could I just add some to his water or to his meals since this is a first regurge? I know that any regurge is serious in baby snakes but do I need to go that far since we caught it early? Also, once I start using the Nutribac, how long should I keep him on it? Any and all advice on this is appreciated. Thanks for all your help guys. I read most of the posts on here about Nutribac and regurge protocols, I just wanted to ask a couple of specific questions.

scary.thin.man
04-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Also, his viv is due to be fully cleaned out (everything washed/soaked, and total substrate change) this week. I know that I'm not supposed to handle him but we need to move him out of his viv to do this. Also we feed in a separate feeding tub. Is it okay to handle him long enough to move him to and from the tubs for cleaning/feeding?

Nanci
04-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Yes you need to do the whole serious regurge protocol. The only time I myself might make an exception is if I find the prey item spit out before I move the snake out of the feeding bin, then I would figure it never made it to the stomach.

I wouldn't disturb him to clean his viv.

The regurge may be related to going into shed, but it's too early for you to notice. If he does go blue in the next few days, I would avoid feeding in shed ever again if at all possible. (Sometimes you just can't tell).

It's ok to move him to his feeding tub as usual, when you feed.