PDA

View Full Version : Silly question about "putting" corns together

Silly question about "putting" corns together

Sheri
03-29-2002, 10:35 AM
I know the issue of the keeping corns together has been raised MANY times, and I never intend to do it. BUT I see a lot of pictures where corns are together, so when do you do this? Just for the photo? Can they hang out for awhile so long as they're not left unattended for too long? I'm just curious as to when it's okay to have them together and for how long, and should they be similar size to do that? When I get another one,,,would it be a bad idea to put them together for photos if they're different sizes and sexes? Or is it okay for a while?

Thanks guys.

Sheri =o)

Rich Z
03-29-2002, 11:19 AM
Sheri - you should be able to edit your own messages. I believe I enabled that option for all of the forums here. There should be a little button in the box that contains the message that says "Edit". Just click on that and you can make whatever changes you want. You can also delete your add-on message afterwards.

Sheri
03-29-2002, 11:23 AM
Thanks Rich! Wow, I even looked for that option. Message is all cleaned up now,,,,thanks again. This site could not be any better!

Sheri =o)

Iris
03-29-2002, 01:20 PM
Well I know someone who keeps one male and one female together and they're roughly the same size (the female is a few inches smaller) and they've been living like that for..3 or 4 years. No problems yet. Of course they're fed separately. As long as you keep an eye on the snakes you temporarily put together (for photographs, etc), it should be fine. I think really small snakes get stressed out by much larger snakes if they are put together but I'm not sure.

CornsnakeKeeper
03-29-2002, 10:26 PM
If you're scared, then just keep an eye on them. Nothing really bad could happen with you supervising. Yes, I have saw pictures of cannibalism, but I have kept 1.1.1 '00 snakes together since they were babies without any sign of trouble. Good luck.

Kevin M
03-29-2002, 11:11 PM
Hate to sound like a cliche here but there normally is never sign of trouble untill after it rears its head.

Back in the day I used to house my corns in pairs. No more.

Ive experienced cannabalism & females breeding way, way too early because I couldnt regulate it...

House them as you see fit, But if it can happen, it normally will.

-Kev

Simon
03-30-2002, 03:57 AM
Well I personally wouldn't want to risk anything like that either....so I never keep my snakes together. But as for a photo, I wouldn't think that keeping them together in the same enclosure for a while could hurt them. Just make sure that you keep a close eye on them. But then if it's a male and female, I would worry a bit more since breeding COULD occure. If the female is too small or not 'ready' to be breed yet, this might endanger her life...... because of egg bound. Breeding could occure in less than 5 min...... so keep a close eye at the snakes.

Good luck and Happy Herping!

Kevin M
03-30-2002, 08:34 AM
Supervised you can keep as many corns together as you can handle IMO. I often have a few corns together when I'm snapping photo's or under rare circumstances when I have help cleaning my enclosures and I put a few males together while I clean them...

-Kev

B-J@y
04-02-2002, 01:09 PM
I am a newbie at keeping Corn's I have 4 snakes together in a cage.... it is 1.20m x 0.40m x 0.60m!

I think this will couse some problems! I've bought these snakes from a friend! she kept them together i the same cage with a nother copple of Corn's (all about 70 cm long) and 1 big ....rat snake! (i believe yellow rat snake!!)

She convinsed me that there is no problem for the snakes!!! Now i'm beginning to doubt her!! (i don't believe she willingly deseaved (spelling?) me)

Pls tell me there is no problem!

Just slithering on......
B-J@y:confused:

absolutneil
04-02-2002, 01:49 PM
I know people don't agree but I keep a couple of snakes together from time to time.

I follow these guidelines.

Don't put males together because they tend to spar w/ one another.

Don't put a male and a female together if you are not ready for them to breed.

That leaves us with two females. This is the only situation where I would allow two females to be together.

Of course they should be the same size.

If a snake regurgitates or has trouble feeding then it is probably stressed and should be housed seperately. I have been keeping corns for about five years and have never had any problems.

CornsnakeKeeper
04-02-2002, 02:17 PM
B-Jay,

She undoubtedly had too many together in too small of a cage, unless they were hatchlings.

Corn snakes should never be mixed with other species of snakes.

Can you give us the dimensions of your cage in inches &/or feet?

I suggest you purchase "the Corn Snake Manual" by : Bill and Kathy Love via http://www.amazon.com
It's well worth the money

Simon
04-02-2002, 05:49 PM
B-Jay,
I think that your friend has put too many snakes in a tank. That is way too much. As you said, there are some BIG snakes in the cage together with the little ones.....I would definately not do that. Also mixing with other speices is not that good of an idea either....so don't do that. Get some more tanks or even get a rack system like others do.

and yes do get the "Corn Snake Manuel" from Bill and Kathy Loves, it's a book that you must have and you'll learn a lot from it!

Good luck and Happy Herping!

B-J@y
04-03-2002, 10:12 AM
I Do have the book!!! it's really great!!

But I don't have the room for another tank!!
my current tank is 47.25 x 15.75 x 23.62 inch!

I'll buy some new tanks when i'll move out!!

B-J@y

Peter
04-03-2002, 04:45 PM
Can you get some good sized plastic containers to house them in? Check out some pics on this forum or on kingsnake to see what I mean.

JakeTheSnake
04-03-2002, 07:41 PM
I think it depends on the size of the snake whether housing multies together. I have two snake in a 35 gallon and the are roughly the same size. But when they are mature they'll be seperated. I planning on using sterilite containers. and I have a rack already built.

csmith1626
04-04-2002, 04:54 PM
IREAD A ARTICLE AT PETPLANET.COM SAYING YOU NEED A 20 GALLON TANK FOR EACH SNAKE IT ALSO SAID A PLASTIC CONTAINER WOULD WORK.

CSMITH1626

Missymonkey
04-04-2002, 05:44 PM
Do you have to seperate corns when they are older? how much older? I'm sure if there are no problems while they are together then there is no reason to seperate, but I don't have experiance with older mature corns. And when you seperate to feed what would you guys sugguest for the snake that is not in the tank to be in?

JakeTheSnake
04-04-2002, 10:36 PM
Like I post on the old forum Ive been to several serpantriums and they house several corns in one enclosuer. For years the Philly zoo had three corns in one display and nothing ever happen to them. It maybe sheer luck nothing has happen or there is other reason behind the canniblism.

Serpwidgets
04-05-2002, 01:28 AM
The fact is that they can get stressed from being housed together. Just because you don't notice anything 'wrong' doesn't mean that they're not having any problems as a result.

If you had a dog would you feed it the cheapest possible dog food regardless of the fact that other, higher-priced dog foods are better for it? Or would you feed it whatever you thought would give it the best nutrition?

Missymonkey
04-05-2002, 09:37 AM
I can see waht you guys mean. Out in the "wild" I'm sure corn snakes don't bump into each other all that often. But I tend to personify my pets and stuff, and get worried that they are lonely or bored. Plus living in a two bedroom apartment with two guys and all our stuff there just isn't a lot of room for all these aquariums. However, I may try it for a month or so and see how it works. I have got the itch to have a little corn snake ranch and you can't have a sherrif without his deputy or the captain without his tonille. Plus small aquariums aren't that expensive, I guess it's just one of those trial and error thing and just hope for the best.:rolleyes: