PDA

View Full Version : Benchmark

Benchmark

fluffyboa
09-19-2003, 01:32 AM
Hi Rich,

just gotta say that over here in the UK, i am using the snakes i see on your website as the benchmark for what i ultimately want to produce. Those snakes are awesome, i just wish i lived in the states! I love the caramel based lines and hopefully i will be producing striped butters in 2-3 years.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Mark

Rich Z
09-19-2003, 03:23 AM
Glad to help. Just keep a nice solid surface around to bash your own head against every once in a while when things go awry. ;)

fluffyboa
09-21-2003, 04:53 AM
Thanks for the reply Rich. One quick question, i have a amel stripe, 66% pos het butter. Have you ever noticed a difference between standard striped amels and striped amel het butters? This one of mine is really pale compared to the more orange colours im used to in the amel stripes. Many thanks in advance.

cheers
Mark

Rich Z
09-21-2003, 05:11 AM
I think what you are seeing is the influence of the original ground color of the normal female animal that the Caramels/Butters originally came from. The original source animal had a rather straw colored background color, and many of the normal corns I have gotten over the years from this ancestor sometimes have that appearance. Amelanistics can also be rather light colored as well, without the stripe effect. Even some Caramels can be markedly different from other siblings.

In the same clutch, I will get some Amel Stripes that are very orange colored, whereas others may almost look like a Butter Striped. Just par for the course in variability.

fluffyboa
09-21-2003, 05:17 AM
Thanks.

i just wish i lived over there, to buy loads off you. :-)

Mark

Melinie
09-23-2003, 01:30 PM
Hey, Mark!

I can tell you from personal experience that it is DANGEROUS to live within Rich's shipping range!!!! Ha! Ha! Ha!

I purchased SEVERAL Corns from him this year. I think the final count was somewhere around fifty!!!
And I'm absolutely LOVING IT!!!!
And so are my friends!!! LOL

Who knew I had so much more horizontal space left in my home, on which I could stack snakeling containers? ;)

But, seriously, I feel priviledged to have snakes from people like Rich and Don in my home and in my breeding program.
It's the 'big names', the people who work their tails off day and night, and are willing to take a few 'genetic leaps', that help the rest of us attain so many of our genetic goals.

Thanks, folks!

rachel132002
10-10-2003, 04:26 AM
lmao bet your bank account doesn't though!

What's the 66% het because i read it somewhere the other day but can't find it again and forgot how it works exactly

Rach

Clint Boyer
10-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Let's say you breed a normal het amel to a normal het amel. If you do the punnett square you end up with 25% amel, 50% normal het amel and 25% normal not het amel.

The 25% amel are obvious.

That leaves you with 75% normals.

Of the 100% normal group, 66% of them are possible het for amel.

Confused? It's hard to explain but if there were only 4 snakes in the clutch and the odds were exact, one would be amel.

That would leave 3 normal snakes. 2 of the 3 would be possible het amel. 2 of 3 = 66%

rachel132002
10-11-2003, 03:29 PM
gotcha

Rach

paulc
10-11-2003, 04:48 PM
So it's possable that fluffyboa may only have a Striped amel, with no butter at all?

Clint Boyer
10-11-2003, 05:24 PM
66% means there is only a 2 out of 3 chance it's het.

Melinie
10-16-2003, 01:25 PM
Rachel,

"....banking account...." ?!?!?
WHAT banking account?!?
You mean I have some money LEFT somewhere?????!!!! LOL

No, my banking account pretty much HATES me!
It keeps threatening to leave me all together.:)
But then I thow a little 'cushion' back in to it, and we're okay again for a while.
Thank goodness my 'Animals Account' is separate from our 'Household Account', and has it's own income, or we'd be living out in the South Texas DIRT, surrounded by snake tanks!LOL

Truly, the most expensive part about buying the 'high end' yearling Corns is not the purchase of the individual animals, but the FEEDING of all the little buggers once you HAVE them! LOL

And I have to compliment Rich in that area - HIS SNAKES EAT!!!!!
Of the dozens I've bought, I've only had two feeding issues so far, and they haven't been serious problems.

Now all I have to do is try to figure out how to make pinky mice *POP* out of thin air! :D