PDA

View Full Version : weight and length ratio?

weight and length ratio?

carnivorouszoo
04-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Ok I have this program called "SnakeMeasurer". I took a photo of Rose with a pencil that is exactly 5 inches long. I used it to measure her in the program. According to the program she is only 11 inches (boy was I off). Then I weighed her. She came up 12 grams. How badly off is this?? Or is she ok?

airenlow
04-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Sounds normal. I haven't heard of any weight to length ration. They all tend to grow at their own rates. Here are a couple of mine for comparison...
'08 female 97g. 22 ins
'08 male 140g. 26 ins
'07 male 258g. 39 ins

carnivorouszoo
04-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Sounds normal. I haven't heard of any weight to length ration. They all tend to grow at their own rates. Here are a couple of mine for comparison...
'08 female 97g. 22 ins
'08 male 140g. 26 ins
'07 male 258g. 39 ins

Hmm ,well the ratio of your '08 female 97 g 22 in is 4.41 grams per inch. Mine works out to just barely over 1 gram per inch. I worry that its not enough for her to grow on.

airenlow
04-14-2009, 05:08 PM
But when I got her she was 6g. and, I would guess, 8 ins long. I think yours sounds perfectly fine...

What is your feeding schedule?

LawDog1
04-14-2009, 06:32 PM
I was wondering the same thing at one point, Is there a length to weight ratio. After thinking on it a little while, I don't think there is.

Here is what Ive come up with:
We have 5 corns. Willy & Wally (brothers), Snuggles, Charlie, and Sunny. I dont know ages but here is length and weight.
Willy 12g and 14"
Wally 13g and 14"
Snuggles 9g and 11"
Charlie 16g and 16"
Sunny 30g and 20"

When they are very young they are so thin that they dont even weigh 1g per inch. Somewhere around 15 or 16 inches they finally even out and become 1 gram per inch. Of course, as stated by Airenlow said, they are all going to be a little different. As they continue to grow and get "fatter" (bigger around) they blow the "1 gram per inch" out of the park! :madeuce: If they stayed the same diameter and just grew longer then, I think, you could have a length to weight ratio that would stay approximately even.

I hope that helps. The way its written is how I had to think of it so it would make sense to me. :dunce:

Jimmy

carnivorouszoo
04-15-2009, 01:11 AM
I feed once a week and she seems fine with it. My feeders are due any day now so I can feed her more often very soon if need be. I know everyone is saying she sounds good and I believe you I just worry because I have not had a snake before her.

Um how is there no ratio? Maybe I am using the wrong word? I was talking about her weight per inch being ok. Not an average like WIC does with kids tell you what percentile they are in compared to others. Is that what you thought I meant? I don't expect her numbers to stay even but surely there is a way to use the # per inch ratio formula to be sure of proper growth or to be sure the snake is not being under fed?

I've decided that just before every feeding and just after every shed I am going to weigh and measure her (and future corns) to try to map out an average or something. I just want to 1. watch that each grows properly and 2. see if there is an average or if they are just totally all over the place. Call it my little experiment :D