PDA

View Full Version : Adoption of injured corn

Adoption of injured corn

mike0179
04-15-2009, 03:18 PM
An acquaintance of mine has an anery that during its third shed, did not shed correctly. One of the eye caps were left on the snake and in an attempt to rub it off it actually ruptured its eye! He took the snake to a vet and they are treating the wound and saying that he should make a full recovery with no long-term effects.

Now, he is asking me if I would take the snake for free...

Does anybody have any experience with cyclops snakes? Is it true there would be no long-term effects? Would this tend to make the snake more "jumpy"? Would the empty socket be prone to infection?

any input is welcome. Thanks!

danielle
04-15-2009, 04:13 PM
It will heal fine just look different head on thats all. Once it is all healed there should be no risk of infection and its not like snakes have great eyesight anyway so i am sure it wouldn't behave any different.

mike0179
04-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the reply. :)

I wonder if it will cause any issues with future sheds?

So many Q's lol ... I just want to make sure I can properly care for him long-term before I take him :D

bitsy
04-16-2009, 06:07 AM
I had a snake with an eye that was permanently swollen, as the eye cap lacked the duct that drains off excess fluid from in front of the eye (congenital deformity). He eventually succumbed to an infection in the eye aged five. However with yours having the eye already removed, I'd think once the socket has healed, there would be little risk of this happening.

Certainly having only one functioning eye didn't seem to affect mine badly. I just had to remember to approach him from the side with the good eye, otherwise he didn't realise he was about to be picked up and got very stressy about it. It was more a case of me adapting to his "disability", rather than him having a problem with it. He was in robust health other than his eye and was a very reliable feeder.

I think your new arrival should have a long and happy life in front of him. Good luck!

Buzzard
04-16-2009, 12:22 PM
I have caught wild snakes with old eye injuries, several with one eye. They seem to adapt well, I would be careful around the head for a while, but after it heals all the way it sounds like it should be fine.