PDA

View Full Version : Making Fake Rocks?

Making Fake Rocks?

katieam
04-15-2009, 03:34 PM
so i was just curious if i can make a fake rock wall for a gargoyle gecko out of styrofoam covered with cement? i would coat with layers of cement to make it sturdy, sand it down, and paint it. does this sound like ti would work and still be safe for a gecko?

any info is appreciated, thanks!

cornspot
04-15-2009, 05:55 PM
I use tile grout instead of cement for my rockwalls (guess it's pretty much the same thing)

katieam
04-15-2009, 06:12 PM
yea, the only reason i asked about cement is because we have a ton of it laying aound in our garage that would be nice to use up instead of spending more money.

belli46
11-22-2010, 11:16 AM
hello any one can help me i like to make a fake backround for my corn snake the only problem that i have it s for the selant i plan to paint with acrylic water base but for he final coat the only thng that i could find wher i live wich is in the philippines its gloss acrylic emulsion witch is water based to would it be safe to use that ...
hope to get some help on that

danar1977
11-29-2010, 09:57 PM
If you want to use up the cement I say go for it....DIY is SOO trial and error! Have fun with it!
I would personally cover something light with it so it is not too heavy, like you suggested, styrophome. You can get sheets at the hardware store for cheap. The cheapest grade and thickness is about $7.00 for an 4 x 8 sheet.
Have fun and please post photos when you are done.

danar1977
11-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Water based acrylics dry and seal themselves in a way to speak, so YES water-based acrylics are fine. I have been painting for over 15 years and my father has been for 35 plus years. I also just started my own business making backgrounds and decided to switch over from enamels to water based acrylics. I researched it very well and you are fine. The onky time I would not use it is in a VERY high humidity or waterfall tank, like for tree frogs! Good luck!