• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Frozen mice

Hage411

I've only fed my corn with alive mice in the past, and I've just bought some frozen ones. Shall I "melt" it before giving it to my corn,and with/on what? Will it eat the mice if it's frozen, and could this give it problems?
Thx in advance

thaw them out!!!

Never feed your snake a mouse that is still frozen. Let the mice thaw out by sitting out for a while. Or some people place them in a ziploc bag, then place the bag in some warm water to speed up the process.

As said above. NEVER feed them frozen. It does not take long for them to thaw out and reach room temp. Dont try microwave. They have a very messy habit of exploding. If you are in a hurry, warm water will speed the process up

Another thing about thawing in warm water is that it brings the temp up on the mouse/rat. Some snakes prefer it warmer than room temp. As was stated in previous posts don't feed frozen and make sure it is thawed all the way thru. Good luck changing over from live.

:) Alicia

Check this out!

This should answer your question on thawing mice.

Attachments

• nacho&cheese.jpg
    nacho&cheese.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 111
I agree with everyone else. I leave mine out for a few hours before feeding. Never had a problem...YET. And also great cartoon Kilojara!!

WOW---
Kilojara,
My son has a 3 year old Savanah monitor--her name is "Monty". OK so maybe I lost it there--probably a 100 monitors named "Monty" out there. Very nice cartoon!

Matt L.

Hage411...
I guess that Kilojara16 has answered your question. It's better to feed f/t than live. Go ahead and change it. It decreases the damage that can happen to a snake from 100 to zero when changing from live to f/t

Good luck and Happy Herping!

I thaw my mice by putting them in a plastic bag in some hot water. It doesn't take too long, just a couple minutes, and you don't have to worry about growing bacteria. An easy way of seeing if the mouse is thawed completely is the "squish test". Gently squeeze the head of the mouse (not too hard!). If it feels warm and soft, it's ok.

Back