PDA

View Full Version : Can you over feed corns?

Can you over feed corns?

ERJ
05-29-2002, 03:02 PM
Would it be dangerous for the snake? would they get fat? or would they just regurgetate?
my snakes seem to always be eager for food after their meals although i do feed them the right amount.
ERJ

Simon
05-29-2002, 04:25 PM
Yes there could be over feeding. Too much food can cause them to regurgitate. If they are fed the right size of mice, they shouldn't regurgitate. They should know when to stop. I have 15 snakes right now here in London and I feed the yearlings and hatchlings as much as they want to eat. Some would like to eat 2-3 mice per meal and some only like to take one mouse per meal. But then they know when they want to stop. I sometimes put in 4 pinkies into the feeding container and put the snake in. Some will take all 4 of them and some only 1. But once they get into adulthood, feeding 1-2 mice per meal is good enough. Over feeding can cause unhealthy snake. Also the chance of egg bounding is great.

Hope this helped!
Good Luck and Happy Herping!

LizS
05-29-2002, 06:15 PM
You know, I have some corns that will eat too much. If I let them have all they want they look huge and then inevitably puke their lunch 2 days later. I must judge how much they should have. My other corns will only eat what they should and no more. I don't know why this happens, they all come from the same breeder and were presumably all treated the same. If your snake pukes, wait a week or more before feeding it again, to let it build up its stomach acids, otherwise it'll puke again.

Warren
05-29-2002, 06:19 PM
Yes, snakes do get fat. Not so much in their first year or two but after that.... Once they reach adulthood their growth rate slows way down. Thus, if you feed them at the same rate you did as when they were a yearling they will get fat. As Simon said, this is NOT good for them. It can cause many health problems.

L8r,
wc