PDA

View Full Version : Snake not eating

Snake not eating

SilverDove
04-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Hi, The last time I posted was when I introduced myself. So in March. I told you about my new baby Colgate. Well she has not eaten at all since the day I got her. Well I fed her like two ays after I got her. She has shed and she is active and drinking but ignors the pinkies. She/he is only a baby baby. Should Ibe concerned? I just found out Bubba is an Amel, well a dark one.I always thought he was Anery. Boy and I a freek not to notice red over grey hehe. But some say Colgate is a Candy Cane? Anyway I made an album of the two. Sorry the pictures are not that great.

But back to Colgate. Should Ibe worried about the little thing?

Thanks for your help

SilverDove
04-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Oh just wanted to add, the last time it ate was 3-7

and sorry for the typos :)

SilverDove
04-24-2009, 11:15 PM
I maybe to concerned but just would like to know. I don't like buying food only to toss it out.

carnivorouszoo
04-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Are you feeding f/t or live? If f/t try making it dance with tongs, or if you don't have tongs use a butter knife to make the pink (or whatever) bump the snake's side. This worked with my KSB when he wouldn't eat his first meal with me. Also if feeding f/t make sure you warm it up enough, if its not warm enough it might not smell too appitizing to the snake. I am told that really warm but not HOT makes it smell stronger to them.

Suzy
04-24-2009, 11:24 PM
What have you tried doing to feed Colgate? Do you just offer it as is? You could try braining (poking a hole in the skull so the brain fluids come out), scenting (i've heard chicken broth and tuna juice are good - if you've got a lizard, you could scent it with that, too.), heating it up to 100+ degrees and offering it, and slitting the back.
Something that really worked for me with one of my snakes was heating the mouse until it was really hot, and putting it in with my snake in a small container. (think deli cup size) I did that for a month or so, and he was finally confident enough to eat without the deli cup.

SilverDove
04-24-2009, 11:27 PM
I got them from the same place I bought the snake. They are frozen and I place them in warm water till ready. I have had Bubba for three years. Colgate is new

SilverDove
04-24-2009, 11:27 PM
What have you tried doing to feed Colgate? Do you just offer it as is? You could try braining (poking a hole in the skull so the brain fluids come out), scenting (i've heard chicken broth and tuna juice are good - if you've got a lizard, you could scent it with that, too.), heating it up to 100+ degrees and offering it, and slitting the back.
Something that really worked for me with one of my snakes was heating the mouse until it was really hot, and putting it in with my snake in a small container. (think deli cup size) I did that for a month or so, and he was finally confident enough to eat without the deli cup.

eww!!! are you seriouse? Do you think it would work? She took the frst one very fast when I first fed her.

Suzy
04-25-2009, 01:07 AM
eww!!! are you seriouse? Do you think it would work? She took the frst one very fast when I first fed her.

It has worked on lots and lots of snakes. It might be gross, but whatever it takes to make the snake happy. :)
I have another question for you - are both of your snakes in the same enclosure? (If they are, that may be a reason - having 2 snakes in the same viv can cause stress, which leads to failure to eat.)
Another thing to remember is not to try and feed your snake too often. It can stress the little thing out, which wouldn't be good.

measley
04-25-2009, 09:30 PM
One of my corns used to be a really picky eater. I had to heat up the mouse really hot, put Melman in his feeding container, gently place the mouse in there next to him, close and cover the container with a kitchen towel, turn out the lights in that room and not walk past it for about 15-20 minutes. This always worked for him and now that he:s a little bigger, he takes the mouse right from the tongs with no problem and no fuss.

Good luck.

redsnake21
04-26-2009, 12:50 AM
just keep trying to give up sounds like you might have a picky snake. it might take a while till you get him to eat

SilverDove
04-27-2009, 04:50 PM
well I gave him a few days to think about it. I let it thaw out in warm water so it was all nice and warm but nope. Came to hit, thought it was going tom but then decided it would rather crawl out of the container. Tried to let the baby sit in the container too with the pinkie for an hour. sigh, oh well. It is drinking and it had a poopy but not hungry.

SilverDove
04-27-2009, 05:01 PM
It has worked on lots and lots of snakes. It might be gross, but whatever it takes to make the snake happy. :)
I have another question for you - are both of your snakes in the same enclosure? (If they are, that may be a reason - having 2 snakes in the same viv can cause stress, which leads to failure to eat.)
Another thing to remember is not to try and feed your snake too often. It can stress the little thing out, which wouldn't be good.

Maybe I'll wait a few days and try that next. Just that it's going to be almost a month and he's so small. The pinkie is the right size too ;) just had to add that :)

SilverDove
04-27-2009, 05:02 PM
god I'm so blind or dumb but NO WAY are the snakes together. Bubba would think Colgate is dental floss or something ;)

MedusaCorns
04-28-2009, 12:31 AM
I don't see a problem if she is active and drinking. Has she shed since she's been with you? Sometimes mine eat at the end of shed but in the real blue they might not. I don't push them to eat in the real blue anyway. Yet sometimes at the end of the blue they might have a go.