PDA

View Full Version : The usual hunger strike!

The usual hunger strike!

RussClarke
05-01-2009, 09:27 AM
My three year old corn Jasper has not fed for two months now and I was wondering when to expect him to feed again. I have been trying to tempt him but he just looks at me as if to say "not this time dad!"

RussClarke
05-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Jasper says he is three and a half!!!

Nanci
05-01-2009, 09:58 AM
I'd try every 14 days, and to begin with you might have better luck tempting him with a mouse fuzzy or a rat pink. Mine are mostly done with hunger strikes now, except for two that started late. They all started eating again in the last couple weeks or so.

RussClarke
05-01-2009, 02:57 PM
On behalf of Jasper, my anery, many thanks!

Russ
:rofl:

claireree
05-01-2009, 03:47 PM
My 4 year old is still on hunger strike not eaten since mid feb, tried him again tonight and although he had a good old sniff he really wasnt interested, even left him along with it. Will leave him alone again for another week then maybe leave him overnight with one and see what happens.

Good luck with Jasper.

Guadalupe
05-10-2009, 08:46 PM
What's the deal with this hunger strike thing? Guad hasn't been super interested in food for the past month. I've been able to convince her thus far, but this weekend she's been holding out. Is it the season or something?

treesnake888
05-13-2009, 04:59 PM
I have a male who is still on his "strike".

Last spring he went 83 days between meals. This spring, we're at 103 days (and counting) between meals. He's in shed right now, I'm guessing that he'll eat again once he sheds. Well, I hope he will.

On that note, what's the longest hunger strike that you've ever seen?

claireree
05-13-2009, 05:05 PM
well mine has shed twice and still not eaten, the last time he ate was mid feb. Usually you hardly see him now he is out all the time and as soon as the door it open he is trying to get out.

Guadalupe
05-14-2009, 11:46 AM
So does this mean Guad's a boy?? If she's healthy and not eating...?

Nanci
05-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Was Guad ever sexed? How old is she? Lila, for sure a female, didn't eat for four months this winter. Cherry missed two meals this spring and then laid 25 slugs. So females can strike for known or unknown reasons, too. It's just not as predictable.

Guadalupe
05-14-2009, 12:02 PM
When I got her from a breeder at a reptile show, she had been sexed as female. I never tried to sex her myself because I don't know how and don't want to hurt her for no good reason. I'm just hoping there's nothing else wrong. I'd rather have her be a dude than be sick, but she's acting fine, so I don't know...

Nanci
05-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Is she old enough to be carrying eggs? They can form eggs without ever having been in contact with a male. If you let her slide over your fingers, and just let a couple fingers press into her belly, especially if she is crawling down, like into her viv, you might be able to feel a row of bumps, which would be eggs.

medusacoils
05-14-2009, 12:16 PM
I feel your pain! My five year old Anery, went on a hunger strike. I stopped feeding him in November, when he went into Brumation. I got him up in January, because he developed a URI. It wasn't a serious URI and he was over it, as soon as I got him on some heat for a couple of days. Well, then he had his own strike and finally started to eat solidly about 3 weeks ago. Right now though, he will only eat something the size of a hopper and nothing else. So, it will end.

I would stop the tease feeding and things. They will probably not work. Just offer one meal, on the regular feeding day. Try a smaller meal or a large pinkie. Sometimes the smell of a sweet pinkie or baby rat, will entice them.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Guadalupe
05-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Hm, I will try that later. I was wondering if that was possible.

What's weird is when I try to feed her, she's acting like mad at the rat. She will hiss at it or bite it and then crawl away. Never acted like that before...maybe she's just annoyed at me waving it in front of her face when she doesn't want it...?

Bill147
05-15-2009, 01:07 PM
well mine has shed twice and still not eaten, the last time he ate was mid feb. Usually you hardly see him now he is out all the time and as soon as the door it open he is trying to get out.
Have you found out if anything was wrong with your snake as mine, a 3 year old, is doing exactly the same thing. He has shed twice recently, keeps being very active and trying to get out but keeps refusing food has been nearly a month and is usually fed once a week. Have tryed smaller mice and pinkys but isnt interested. He sometimes makes a little sneezing sound but there is no sign that it is an infection. Anyone got any ideas if there is a problem or just a hunger strike?

medusacoils
05-15-2009, 01:37 PM
Have you found out if anything was wrong with your snake as mine, a 3 year old, is doing exactly the same thing. He has shed twice recently, keeps being very active and trying to get out but keeps refusing food has been nearly a month and is usually fed once a week. Have tryed smaller mice and pinkys but isnt interested. He sometimes makes a little sneezing sound but there is no sign that it is an infection. Anyone got any ideas if there is a problem or just a hunger strike?

It very well could just be a hunger strike. I am curious about this sentence though. The one I highlighted in red. Sneezing, though not completely, could indicate an infection.

Wayne

claireree
05-15-2009, 02:00 PM
No mine is not sneezing, and apart from the hunger strike he is very happy, I think the other problem is my female corn is below him so he can smell her as well.

Bill147
05-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Do you think I should take him to the vet? I asked at the reptile shop where he was bought and they didnt really tell me much

medusacoils
05-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Do you think I should take him to the vet? I asked at the reptile shop where he was bought and they didnt really tell me much

Sorry, I wasn't trying to scare you! Sneezing can be a symptom of an infection. That doesn't mean that it is, I was just highlighting what you said. I know some corns will sneeze when they shed or if their too dry. I wouldn't just ignore it though.

Is the snake exhibiting any other symptoms, like mouth gaping, swollen neck, mucous, back arching or wheezing. I would say that if you are exhibiting more than one symptom, then you should make a trip to the vet.

I know that the beginning treatment for a URI, is raising the temp in the viv and decreasing the humidity.

Again, I am sorry! I didn't mean to alarm you!

Wayne

Bill147
05-16-2009, 07:14 AM
No dont worry didnt alarm me too much just thankful for the info, at the moment he is not showing any other sypmtom so I wont rush him to the vet just yet. Will try and do what i can to raise the temp in his viv. Is a bulb a good idea as I dont think his mat can do much more?