PDA

View Full Version : Problem feeder

Problem feeder

shaberry
05-04-2009, 01:20 PM
So, I just got a bloodred hatchling a week ago. She's 8g and about 15 in. long. And I just got her to eat yesterday, but only a f/t pinky head. I accidentally cut off the head when I was opening up the package. I put the body and the head in, and left her with it for the rest of the day. And when I came back, only the head was gone, and the body looked untouched. Well, at least by her mouth.

Two days before, I tried feeding her a live pinky mouse, but the moment the pinky moved (when Aries started smelling it), she bolted to the furtherest part of the container. *sigh* So, I was wondering how I should go about feeding her.

Should I just keep feeding her pinky mice heads? If so, for how long? When should I start introducing her to a full pinky again? Or should I just cut up the pinky into thrids and hope that she's interested enough in eating every piece? And why, won't she eat a live pink? I thought that was the preferred food of choice for hatchlings, aside from Anoles.

bitsy
05-04-2009, 03:24 PM
If she's not seen a live pinky before, she just might not recognise it as food. I wouldn't bother again - live food brings risks to the snake once it's old enough to bite back. It's not a habit you really want your Corn to get into.

I'd just try her again with a whole f/t pinky in four days time. Just because she only ate the head last time, doesn't mean she won't eat a whole one again.

Nanci
05-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Or if you can't get pinks small enough, just cut it evenly in half. But when I got El Wray, he was 6g, and could eat a whole very small pink. I wouldn't bother with live, either.

shaberry
05-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Alright, so just keep with the f/t then? Should I try feeding a whole pink the next time? Or should I just keep feeding portions of the pinky and wait till she exhibits a good apetite? Also, can I refreeze the uneaten parts of the pinky that I cut up and serve it on the next meal? Or should I just toss those pieces? I'd really hate to waste though.

Another thing I wanted to ask about, is that I recently got Kathy Love's book (FINALLY) and read up on how to feed reluctant feeders. And, I was wondering if I should try out the method of bumping the pinky against the snakes neck and lower body. Or if i should just keep to feeding Aries portions of pinkies, since it seems to work. What do you guys think? Any other suggestions? Or should I just keep doing what worked?

RobbiesCornField
05-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Keep trying the f/t. Like Nanci said, you can always cut in half. Sometimes the smell of the guts is what entices them to eat. You can also try slitting the pink length wise (not cutting entirely through), or even just braining it with a couple additional slits along the spine.

shaberry
05-05-2009, 12:48 AM
Alright, I'll try your suggestions. Thanks so much for the input guys! I really appreciate it. I've been so frustrated and worried with Aries, that I'm getting a little bit irritated. >.<;;; Also, what about refreezing the uneaten parts of the pinky? Would it be bad or decrease the nutrient value somehow?