PDA

View Full Version : Do you want to move to Florida?

Do you want to move to Florida?

kathylove
05-06-2009, 12:26 AM
And have plenty of room for your herps, dogs, horses, or whatever? Want to be our neighbor?

We are offering the 10 acres next door to us - a beautiful piece of property near Ft. Myers, Florida. Please look here for all details:
www.alvaparadise.com

Also, my niece has finally graduated (this past weekend), and is vacating our efficiency style, "mother-in-law" apt. attached to our house. So it will be available for rent, and will include use of lanai, outdoor areas, pool, etc. If you have a reptile collection, we can probably find room for it in one of the buildings, depending on what you have. Dogs, horses, and other pets are welcome, too. We are asking $500/month rent, which includes high speed, wireless Internet.

Hope we can find some good, compatible neighbors!

ZoologyGirl
05-06-2009, 12:32 AM
I wish!... Then I'd have someone close by when I freak out about a hurricane lol.

Good luck! It's interesting seeing a yard so much different than what I'm used to in Wisc.

vetusvates
05-06-2009, 12:49 AM
OMG!!!! Wow, Kathy, if it wasn't for being tied down by my job (and family that would object), I would be the perfect quiet 46 year old peaceful bachelor renter. You'd hardly even know I was there.
Kathy, you are so sweet.

kathylove
05-06-2009, 12:55 AM
I could find somebody just like you! OTOH, considering all of the interesting online discussions we have had, it would be WAY too much fun having you here - I wouldn't ever get any work done, lol!

Maize411
05-06-2009, 12:58 AM
PM sent :0)

Tim66/corns
05-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Kathy I am actually looking to move to Florida. I was looking in Daytona because I have family in the area. But I hear the jobs are so scarce up there.
Your place sounds like a dream.
I have 2 horses, 1 dog, 2 cats & around 22 snakes.
I would have so much fun being your neighbor! And I am very neat too. Still working on cooking.
One flaw? I talk a lot. I mean a lot. Once I am comfortable with a person & get by my shyness I am non stop lol.
You have given me something to think about if I do not have to many critters for you.

kathylove
05-06-2009, 10:42 AM
It is not too many animals. The only thing is that our 20 acres (of which we are trying to sell 10) is not fenced. So you would have to either build a pen of some sort, or tie the horses out, or some other solution. The property is mostly natural woods, but there is some grass, too. If you planned on staying quite a while, it might be worth it for you to put up a fairly large pen / fenced area. If you only planned to stay for a short time, maybe you could buy some of the hog panels and attach them together. We made some big tortoise pens that way. They are fairly portable when you move. Or maybe the "invisible fencing", or other type of electric fence - you can mount it on PVC pipes as the fence posts. If you rent the apt., and really like it here, maybe you could eventually buy the 10 acres and build a house.

You would have your own apt. with its own cooking facilities, although small. So you and we would have our own privacy. But we would share the lanai, pool area, outdoors, animal and storage buildings. If you "talk too much" and I can't get any work done, then I will just put you to work feeding and cleaning, lol!

The job scene is kind of bleak everywhere. But it can't last forever. What kind of work do you do?

Cornsnake124
05-06-2009, 12:27 PM
I wish I could!! :cry:

animalhouse
05-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Wow, If this land was closer to me... the Rescue I am fostering for is looking for land to get a shelter put on! :(

What a nice offer!!

carol
05-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Are you taking trades? :roflmao: C'mon all the animals I produce and a snake slave for the next few years? ;)

Man I'd be all over this if I didn't know it would be taken as soon as my ducks are in a row.

kathylove
05-06-2009, 12:54 PM
We actually had the 10 acres "sold" (or so we thought!) twice, with contracts and deposits, but both fell through. Once was right at the height of the real estate bubble - had it "sold" for $550K!! That would have been great! But he never got financing. Then the next year we had it "sold" for $499K. But they wanted to change it to commercial zoning, thought they had it all figured out, but found out more requirements at the last minute and backed out. Now with the bad real estate market, we have actually cut the price in half, and can't go much lower. But the local market seems to be just barely starting to pick up a little recently, especially for cheaper houses. If the economy starts to turn around, I think prices will start rising again, at long last.

We haven't bothered to try to sell it the last couple of years, except for the ever present sign out front. But now that it is starting to pick up, I am going to give it a try again. Maybe if it doesn't sell this year, we will just hold out for a higher price in a year or two. I have also put an ad on Craigslist, offering to trade the 10 acres for a nice house on a big lot in the Phoenix area (we hope to retire there eventually).

This is a great time to buy a house or land if you can afford it. The prices were artificially high a few years back, and they are artificially low right now. As soon as the economy improves, prices should get back to a more moderate level, in my opinion.

Nanci
05-06-2009, 12:55 PM
(Tim works at a pet shop).

Would that ever be cool if Carol moved here!!! Remember, no state tax!! No earthquakes! Land cost is probably 1/100th of what it is out there!

carol
05-06-2009, 01:00 PM
(Tim works at a pet shop).

Would that ever be cool if Carol moved here!!! Remember, no state tax!! No earthquakes! Land cost is probably 1/100th of what it is out there!

I'll survey things out there in August! :D

Nanci
05-06-2009, 01:01 PM
I forgot, this state likes guns!!! You can have whatever you want!

kathylove
05-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Yes, if Carol moved here, then I could just go out to the building and LOOK at her beautiful pink snows and striped Miamis, and not have to get any for myself, lol!

We do have hurricanes, but we are quite a ways inland, so not as likely to have extensive damage, and no storm surge here. We have never had more than minor damage from any storms or hurricanes so far (knock on wood!!)

We have a Quonset - style metal building for the animals, rated to more than 125 mph winds, and no windows. Probably where we would all go if there was a hurricane, lol! And NO earthquakes in Florida! It IS pretty hot and buggy here in the summer (that is why they invented A/C!!), but our winters are WONDERFUL. And we do get some dramatic, gorgeous storms to watch during the summer rainy season.

No state income tax, although we do have a 6% sales tax. And property taxes will be much cheaper if you do some kind of agricultural business, such as fence the property and board some horses, or something similar.

kathylove
05-06-2009, 01:08 PM
August is good if you like to see Florida at its worst! Probably the hottest and wettest month of all, with the most mosquitoes and hurricanes. If you can stand it here then, the rest of the year is a breeze! Probably not a month I will be actively trying to sell the property to non-Floridians, lol!

RobbiesCornField
05-06-2009, 01:41 PM
That's it. I'm dragging my trailer down tomorrow. I'll figure out how to finance it later. LOL.

I would LOVE to live out in the woods like that, but Tony would hate it... such a shame...

Hallie
05-06-2009, 01:46 PM
If it wasn't for the weather, I'd already be packing my stuff to come down. I am not a fan of hot weather at all....I don't think my horses would appreciate it much either, they're so used to the cooler weather up here.

kathylove
05-06-2009, 01:50 PM
If I had a choice, I would be a "snowbird" - up north or on a mountain in the summer, and down here in winter. But since I can't afford both, I will take our hot, wet summers over the cold, snow, and ice, any day, lol!

Russell
05-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Wow, about seven years ago I'd been all over this offer... but I'm married, tied to a house, and a good job, and lots of friends I'd miss, and the total lack of human population in general that the outback of North Dakota has going for it... Mmmm....but man I'd love to be able to go snake hunting in my own yard! LOL!

kathylove
05-06-2009, 01:57 PM
I would buy it and put a little shack or trailer on it, and spend Christmas to Easter there, or however much time I could get off work, lol!

snakewispera snr
05-06-2009, 01:58 PM
If I get six numbers, I'll send you a pm.
That sounds just right for a holiday home.... :D

kathylove
05-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Hey, maybe 6 - 10 CS members can get together, buy it, put a little cabin on it, and meet in the winter for holidays, lol! If y'all want to fence it, I will advertise for some horse boarders to get you a cheaper property tax rate!

There's a plan!

Nanci
05-06-2009, 02:32 PM
People do that up where I am for cave diving!

MinLynn
05-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Oh God! I'm near tears looking at that property! Hubs and I have always wanted to live somewhere warmer and build our own house. We just have nowhere near the money right now and our credit is shot from when Matt was out of work. Man! I'm gonna show it to him anyway,just so he can cry with me!

kathylove
05-06-2009, 04:36 PM
We will finance if you can get together a good sized down payment, lol! You could live in the little apt. until you can afford to build the house.

RobbiesCornField
05-06-2009, 05:19 PM
We will finance if you can get together a good sized down payment, lol! You could live in the little apt. until you can afford to build the house.

Define "good sized". :laugh:

kathylove
05-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Maybe 35K? Everything is negotiable, lol!

RobbiesCornField
05-06-2009, 05:29 PM
"Hello, Satan? Yeah, how much is my soul worth?" :roflmao:

That sounds perfectly reasonable for the amount of acreage. If only I had the money to put down on it...

ZoologyGirl
05-06-2009, 06:18 PM
August is good if you like to see Florida at its worst!

Tell me about it...the only time I've been to Florida was in August.

:realhot: <--- this is me burning up in florida

Jay@PJCReptiles
05-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Ok Kathy. Have I got a deal for you. I know your only asking $500.00 a month rent for the in-law apartment and that is a very good deal. Now here's where the deal comes in, follow me now. I will pay You $1000.00 a month if I can send PJ there to live. Sound good? Yes? Sounds like a deal I can't refuse. :grin01: :sidestep:
Jay :cool:

Maize411
05-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Still trying to convince my fiance to take the plunge..if I can talk him into it, We could be on our way there by late June, early July... :0)

(Although from the sound of it..nobody really wants me down there... :0( ))

kathylove
05-06-2009, 08:37 PM
I didn't think I would actually get this much interest on a corn snake forum. I would love to have ANY of you for neighbors, lol! (too bad I can't have ALL of you as neighbors!) It would be so great - instead of having to put an ad on the local Craigslist and get some stranger who probably doesn't even like herps!

MinLynn
05-06-2009, 08:38 PM

Unfotunately, I don't think the little apt. would fit me,hubs,3 kids,7 cats and 2 dogs! LOL! Wish it could for as little as you're asking for rent!

Shiari
05-06-2009, 09:13 PM
;_; Whyyyy must I still be in school and in debt from my dog? And to be away from earthquakes. *sighs*

carol
05-06-2009, 10:19 PM
No state income tax, although we do have a 6% sales tax. And property taxes will be much cheaper if you do some kind of agricultural business, such as fence the property and board some horses, or something similar.

Heck I just paid $700 in state income taxes on top of what they take out of our paychecks every month and our sales tax here is 9.25! I so miss having horses, I'd board in a heartbeat. If it's not sold by next year I may just be coming, I hope you've sold it by then for your sake though. Man could you imagine shipping my collection. :laugh:

Now we just have to see if there is a shotgun range and an IT job nearby. ;)

Tom Tuttle
05-07-2009, 06:54 PM
I may have just purchased the winning PA lottery ticket.;) If it works out I'll be calling you later.:cheers: Just how hot is it in August?:shrugs:

ZoologyGirl
05-07-2009, 09:45 PM
I just mentioned this to my bf, he said no moving to florida (he has an irrational fear of hurricanes)

Shiari
05-08-2009, 01:23 AM
But... but you get advanced warnings for hurricanes! D:

kathylove
05-08-2009, 02:11 AM
"...Just how hot is it in August?..."

Pretty darn hot and wet, lol! But it is more than balanced out by a gorgeous January! And it is easier to turn on the A/C than to shovel snow!

"...me,hubs,3 kids,7 cats and 2 dogs.."

Might be just a little crowded, haha! We have tents though! And you can NEVER have too many kitties!

KJUN
05-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Good luck. I may have had a kid there, but I'm regretfully not looking to settle there.....lol.

I forgot, this state likes guns!!! You can have whatever you want!

Not true. NFA34, GCA68, and Bush Sr. in 89 REALLY put a damper on me getting what I want regardless of if I cross state lines with them or not (which is the only time the feds SHOULD have legal jurisdiction)!

Nanci
05-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Well, compared to California...

KJUN
05-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Well, compared to California...

Why would you ever want to compare ANYTHING to kalifornia? Shrug?

:shrugs:

Nanci
05-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Because we're trying to get Carol to move here!!!

Maize411
05-10-2009, 01:11 AM
what about me???? :0( It would be cool if I moved there too...right???? I mean..I am really trying to convince my fiance...I'm truely trying here..and if I can get him to agree to it..This could be a real possibility for us...This would be a dream come true for me..As I truely feel I could learn a great deal from Kathy while renting from her...I also would have the chance to work with reptiles as a job (possibly..) ....I know you all want Carol there..but please don't disregard me..I know I joke around a lot but for me this is a real opportunity and I'm doing my very best to take advantage of this chance...It's a chance for me to move back to FL...I would only be minutes away from my mother, I would have a great landlord who shares my passion for the animal/reptile world..and I would have the great opportunity of learning and gaining knowledge of things I would like to achieve by someone who has already been down the path I'm trying to take...I really want this chance...I just wish my fiance would see this...This is something I am literally crying over...I just hope, with all inside me...that I can convince him...I'm sorry guys..I don't mean to attract all the attention to me..and that is not what I'm trying to do...I just am trying to speak up and say I have a genuine interest in the place...but now it's turned into a rant...I'm sorry...

kathylove
05-10-2009, 01:26 AM
Of COURSE I would love to have you here! I'm sure you would make a great addition to our group of Florida herpers. It is just for you and your fiance to decide whether it will work for you.

I have had several semi serious inquiries since posting. But nobody has said they would go for it for sure. So until somebody commits to it FOR SURE, I would be happy to have anyone who has asked so far (or EVERYONE - but it would be a little crowded, and too much fun - wouldn't ever get any work done, haha!).

BTW, there are 3 different reptile businesses within an hour's drive from here (one is only 20 minutes) who might consider hiring at least a part timer to do reptile care. I doubt that the pay is very high - probably similar to working in a convenience store, I would guess.

CaptBogart
05-10-2009, 01:54 AM
I think you should build cabins on it and turn it into the Corn Snake Summer Camp... Come down to Florida for the summer to learn snake keeping 101 with Professor Kathy, Photography with Professor Bill, skeet shooting with Nanci, herping with Mike, bird watching with Katie, trail riding with carol, spa treatments by Tony, entertainment featuring Robbie, 4-wheeling and fishing with Joe...

Maize411
05-10-2009, 01:58 AM
lol...That actually sounds fun!! May I volunteer myself for swimming instructor!! lol

kathylove
05-10-2009, 02:03 AM
We have been talking for a couple of years about offering Florida tours, both for U.S. visitors, and Europeans or others from far away. Bill does Madagascar tours, but since the economy went downhill, very few can afford them. But Florida would be much more affordable. We have some interesting ideas of offering a mix of nature walks, canoe trips, road cruising, etc, and getting a "behind the scenes" tour of one of the biggest reptile breeding facilities in the US (it probably IS the biggest one, and they don't normally accept visitors), and maybe a day of studio herp photography with Bill. And we were thinking of giving people the option to camp out on our 20 acres, or go to a motel - whatever they want. I think it could be a possible alternative to Madagascar tours, at least until the economy improves.

What do you all think?

admitchell08
05-10-2009, 02:05 AM
I would DEFINITELY go for that!
That would be soo cool!
Where do I sign up????

CaptBogart
05-10-2009, 02:14 AM
We have been talking for a couple of years about offering Florida tours, both for U.S. visitors, and Europeans or others from far away. Bill does Madagascar tours, but since the economy went downhill, very few can afford them. But Florida would be much more affordable. We have some interesting ideas of offering a mix of nature walks, canoe trips, road cruising, etc, and getting a "behind the scenes" tour of one of the biggest reptile breeding facilities in the US (it probably IS the biggest one, and they don't normally accept visitors), and maybe a day of studio herp photography with Bill. And we were thinking of giving people the option to camp out on our 20 acres, or go to a motel - whatever they want. I think it could be a possible alternative to Madagascar tours, at least until the economy improves.

What do you all think?

That's what I'm saying, your name alone would make it a mecca, plus Bills photography and entertaining public speaking, that would be a winner I think. Beaches and fishing charters just to the west, plus the everglades are practically right there... Air Boats, trails, gator wrestling.... :D

Nanci
05-10-2009, 07:21 AM
what about me????

You guys are moving down here anyway!!! You already were, we don't have to tempt you into it!

RobbiesCornField
05-10-2009, 09:08 AM
I think you should build cabins on it and turn it into the Corn Snake Summer Camp... Come down to Florida for the summer to learn snake keeping 101 with Professor Kathy, Photography with Professor Bill, skeet shooting with Nanci, herping with Mike, bird watching with Katie, trail riding with carol, spa treatments by Tony, entertainment featuring Robbie, 4-wheeling and fishing with Joe...

That would be so much fun!!! :D Wait... what kinda entertaining would I be doing? Should I dig through the shed for all my heels? Or should I just borrow your tooth fairy outfit? ;)

What do you all think?

That really would be awesome!

kathylove
05-10-2009, 12:34 PM
"You guys are moving down here anyway!!! You already were, we don't have to tempt you into it! "

That's true! Even if you don't move in here with me, I think we will get you into Florida, anyway! The more herpers in Florida, the better (especially if they keep corns and / or Amazon tree boas!). Because the more herpers we get, the more voices we have to fight stupid laws. AND - the more fun we can have at various shows and get - togethers.

But I do hope you can convince your fiance that this is the right time and the right place.

So come on down!!

Maize411
05-10-2009, 12:45 PM
so true! Thank you guys :0)

abell82
05-15-2009, 01:04 AM
Just did. Unfortunately, I'm now in the Orlando area.

kathylove
05-15-2009, 01:12 AM
Bummer! We need more herpers to support our local herp society, lol! However, there is a very active herp society in Orlando, too.

Hubby will be back in about 10 days. Then we will photo the apt. and put it on craigslist. Hate to get a stranger in there - sure would prefer a CS member!

Maize411
05-15-2009, 01:38 AM
I would like to see some pics too if ya don't mind..maybe some pics will help convince the fiance :0)

kathylove
05-15-2009, 01:42 AM
Unfortunately, hubby took the camera to Australia, and I haven't been able to borrow one yet. But as soon as he gets back in about 10 days, I will get him to photo it. I will post it here before putting it on craigslist.

Maize411
05-15-2009, 05:18 AM
Thanks Kathy :0) Hey I was looking in the Reptiles Magazine at Petsmart and I saw you have your own little ad in there..That's pretty cool....Hopefully after my business takes off (eventually..lol) I'll be able to have something like that..at least that is what I'm trying to aim for :0)

OldGoalie915
05-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Kathy,
How would you like a Pastry Chef for a neighbor? I come with my own resident RN and kid that is a snake nut :D

Ralph

kathylove
05-27-2009, 05:05 PM
That would be cool! Nursing seems like one of the few things you can still count on to get a job these days. You could buy the 10 acres next door and start up a catering service or ???

OldGoalie915
05-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Yes it is one of the ones you can count on. She has turned down offers from all over the world.
Hey I could do a trade out with you .. my cooking for your snakes :)

kathylove
05-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Can you make some low calorie pastries?? If you can, and make them taste great, you will be rich!!

Send me an email if you have any interest in moving here, at kathy@cornutopia.com

Thanks!

kathylove
06-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Bill finally took some photos. It is not rented out yet, so I will probably list it on Craigslist soon. That means I might have to rent it to some snake phobic stranger - yuck! Sure hope one of my CS buddies move in, instead!

My niece's stuff is still there, but she will move it out as soon as I tell her it is rented.

You can see the exterior door next to the fridge. It goes out to the lanai. I will try to put up some lanai / pool photos soon, but hubby's computer hard drive just crashed, and the photos I wanted to use are on it (I think we can get them back, but might take a few days).

Contact me soon if interested!

Thanks,
Kathy

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r127/cornutopia/Mainroomeastward.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r127/cornutopia/Mainroomwestward.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r127/cornutopia/Bathroomeastward.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r127/cornutopia/Bathroomwestward.jpg

inocntkitn187
06-18-2009, 01:24 AM
So, a few questions...

How does your county (& you) feel about pitbulls?
Any animal-related jobs nearby? (and I mean ANY animal jobs! I've worked with domestic and exotic. Also have a degree in animals).
How willing are you to help build fences and lodging for African Pygmy goats, Ancona & Runner ducks, Burros, dogs, cats, & miniature cattle? (ie. I already have a "small farm" business or two and could use any and all help to build facilities). - of course I'd be bringing corn snakes & lots of questions.

My fiancee and I are dying to move near a beach (and a lake ideally). We just spent time in Key Largo and loved it. We've been looking into Savannah, GA so heat and humidity don't scare us! Unfortunately, he has to finish up law school. So I'd have to rent the apt until he graduates. Are there law jobs nearby?

kathylove
06-18-2009, 02:11 AM
I have no idea about pits - but I see them on craigslist all the time, and haven't ever heard anyone say they are illegal. We live out in the country on 20 acres, so we can't really see any other houses from our property. It is kind of "do your own thing" out here".

I would be happy to have a little mini farm here, but seems like these days we barely have enough energy to keep up with animals and fix it projects that are necessary. Maybe during the winter we could help some, but I pretty much avoid outdoor stuff during the summer, except for swimming, lol! I never have been a fan of the heat and humidity, but I am even less of a fan of snow and ice, lol! I don't have a problem with having pretty much any animals here, but I am not sure how much I could help with them. Gettin' old with bad knees these days!

There are a few reptile places within about 45 minutes from here that might need help, at least part time. 2 of them have asked about some part timers lately (and one of those is only 20 minutes from here). Not sure about "law" jobs. There are a couple of small towns about 15 minutes away, and Ft. Myers is about 30 - 45 minutes away, depending on where you want to go.

If you are thinking about Ga, you do know that corns are illegal there, right?

Let me know if you want some more info, or give me a call.

inocntkitn187
06-18-2009, 02:16 AM
Are corns really illegal in GA?! I KNOW I've been to the Petsmart in Marietta to admire the corns they have available. That's so strange. Do they allow any herps? Or is it all a no-no?

kathylove
06-18-2009, 02:22 AM
ALL native herps in Ga. are illegal to own, even albinos. The only herps not protected are venomous (so they can have rattlesnake roundups) and aquatic turtles (I think) because people want to eat them. So no Ga. kings, rats, corns, etc. Not even garters, if they are the same species as Ga specimens. It is a very backward state as far a herp laws go. There have been several threads about it here on CS - you can search for them if you like.

phicks48
07-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Kathy how many rooms does the mother in law apartment have? Looks like there are a couple of doors there. Paul

kathylove
07-05-2009, 07:20 PM
It is just a studio / efficiency apartment. It is one big room with kitchenette on one side, plus a separate bathroom. There are 3 doors - one to our house, one to the lanai, and one to my baby snake room.

The apt. is just big enough for one person, possibly two, if you are good friends, lol! But there is LOTS of room outside to use, including a huge lanai and screened pool area (with washer and dryer you can use), and 20 acres of mostly woods. So if you like being outside, you could lounge around on the lanai and play billiards or table tennis there, or swim in the pool, or BBQ on the grill, play with the big spur thigh tortoises next to the lanai. Or just read or sunbathe outside - whatever you like. And lots of room for outdoor pets, if you have any. So you wouldn't be stuck in a tiny apt. all of the time.

Are you thinking of moving down here?

Michael823
07-06-2009, 12:52 AM
That would be so cool, I would snatch that up if I was looking for a place to live. A neighbor that welcomes pets, encourages snakes, and offers the use of a pool, washer/dryer, and plenty of extra land.. in FLA, that would be awesome!
I hope someone from here decides to move into it, that would be a bummer to have to put it up on CL, and have snake phobic people move in. It looks pretty nice too, I like quaint little studio type apartments, less maintenance.
Good luck Kathy, I'm shocked no ones made a serious offer yet. In this economy it doesn't get much better than that, I really think someone here will make the leap, it sounds great.

phicks48
07-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Kathy if it was just me it would be perfect, I think it would be a bit small for my wife and I plus our dog, not to mention the snakes and birds we have. I was hoping one of those doors led to a bedroom. I hope you get someone to take you up on your offer, it would be a paradise for some lucky person(s) Paul

kathylove
07-06-2009, 07:53 PM
We have a couple of buildings to keep reptiles in - you could use some space out there for your herps. The apt. would only have to be for people and dogs. And you could make a pen for the dog to have some outside space to run around in, too. Whenever the weather is good enough that you are not using a/c, you can leave the door open to the lanai - that makes the apt. seem much bigger. We also have available storage areas in the shed or one of the buildings (or you can set up your own shed). So although the apt. is not too big, there are lots of other spaces for animals, and for stuff not used on a daily basis.

nwheat
07-06-2009, 10:22 PM
What a fabulous opportunity! I would so love to move to Florida one day. Sigh. I hope you get some great corny neighbors, Kathy! :D