PDA

View Full Version : Is it really time for fuzzies?!

Is it really time for fuzzies?!

Jjoherman
05-07-2009, 02:55 PM
My snake Phoenix is almost 9 months old. She weighs 24 grams. I have been using the Munson feeding plan since i got her in December and it works great. I know that the plan is approxamate, but it says that it is time to switch her to small fuzzies. She has no trouble with the larger pinks but her head just seems so little in comparason to the rest of her body. I just wanted to post a few pics to get some opinions before i commit to the switch. I have some pinkies left so she will be on double pinks for at least 3 more weeks anyway...thanks for the help!

This is her eating a 3 gram pinkie (she got another 2g one after this)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28771542@N04/3478131500/

This is her after her whole meal...5g of food altogether.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28771542@N04/3510324117/in/photostream/

I hope the pictures came out right. If not i will add them to my photos with the same descriptions.
Thanks again for your help.

animalhouse
05-07-2009, 03:01 PM
I dont see any pics :(

Jjoherman
05-07-2009, 03:01 PM
This is her eating the 3g pinkie...
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=268&pictureid=2175

This is her after 5g of food...
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=268&pictureid=2176

I hope i actually posted the pics this time!

MinLynn
05-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Yep! She could handle small fuzzies! I was terrified when my babies went up to fuzzies,but, they all took them like champs! Plus, you'd be amazed how much more they start to grow once they're on the fuzzies instead of pinks!

Vinman
05-07-2009, 03:53 PM
a one month old can normally take a sm fuzzy un less the snake was born very small . At 9 months old it should be on weenings if not small mice

Hallie
05-07-2009, 06:47 PM
a one month old can normally take a sm fuzzy un less the snake was born very small . At 9 months old it should be on weenings if not small mice

You know, I've kept my mouth shut through most of your posts, but I just can't after this one. Are you serious!?!? That is an insane suggestion. A 24g snake taking weanlings? No. Absolutely not. Most of my 2007's are just barely starting to take weanlings (once they are over 85g they are started on large hoppers or small weanlings, and adult mice aren't started until they are closer to 200g). And I would never, ever give a fuzzy to a one month old baby. I don't start mine out on fuzzies until they are up around 25g (like the OP's snake is), and at that time it is usually peach fuzzies, at least for the first two or three 'fuzzy' feedings.

Jjoherman, stick with the Munson Plan. Fuzzies will be fine for your baby. If you are concerned (and I know I always am when switching my little ones to bigger sizes), feed a small fuzzy the first time and maybe slit it once or twice down the back to aid in digestion. And don't be concerned that your snake isn't growing fast enough or anything, she looks great to me (very pretty BTW, she looks just like my Sangria), very healthy. Side note: out of my nine 2008 babies, only two are on fuzzies (three are on peach fuzzies and the rest are on large pinks), just for 'comparison'. Good luck with your little girl! Min is right, she'll grow like a weed once on those fuzzies, it is incredible how fast they grow! :)

Vinman
05-07-2009, 07:49 PM
You know, I've kept my mouth shut through most of your posts, but I just can't after this one. Are you serious!?!? That is an insane suggestion. A 24g snake taking weanlings? No. Absolutely not. Most of my 2007's are just barely starting to take weanlings (once they are over 85g they are started on large hoppers or small weanlings, and adult mice aren't started until they are closer to 200g). And I would never, ever give a fuzzy to a one month old baby. I don't start mine out on fuzzies until they are up around 25g (like the OP's snake is), and at that time it is usually peach fuzzies, at least for the first two or three 'fuzzy' feedings.

Jjoherman, stick with the Munson Plan. Fuzzies will be fine for your baby. If you are conderned (and I know I always am when switching my little ones to bigger sizes), feed a small fuzzy the first time and maybe slit it once or twice down the back to aid in digestion. And don't be concerned that your snake isn't growing fast enough or anything, she looks great to me (very pretty BTW, she looks just like my Sangria), very healthy. Side note: out of my nine 2008 babies, only two are on fuzzies (three are on peach fuzzies and the rest are on large pinks), just for 'comparison'. Good luck with your little girl! Min is right, she'll grow like a weed once on those fuzzies, it is incredible how fast they grow! :)

thats your oppion I been breeding for 24 years and they do fine. You got to do what works for you and I do what works fro me . I never said to feed a 24 gram snake weanlings. My babies are on fuzzys buy one month of age. by 9 months of age my animals are big enough to take weanlings to small mice. 24 grams is too small for a 9 month old snake. if that works for you then do what makes you feels comfortable .

Hallie
05-07-2009, 09:18 PM
thats your oppion I been breeding for 24 years and they do fine. You got to do what works for you and I do what works fro me . I never said to feed a 24 gram snake weanlings. My babies are on fuzzys buy one month of age. by 9 months of age my animals are big enough to take weanlings to small mice. 24 grams is too small for a 9 month old snake. if that works for you then do what makes you feels comfortable .

A: Spelling and grammar do wonders when it comes to people respecting someone running a business. Many people, myself included, find errors like that to be a major turn off when dealing with a person/company. I don't do any business with companies that have spelling errors on their websites. It is unprofessional and gives a very bad impression.

B: You definitely implied that the 9 month old, 24g snake should be getting weanlings, and in doing so, questioned the OP's husbandry/care of his/her snake by saying that the snake is undersized. That is not what a fairly new owner needs to hear, especially when they seem to be doing just fine with the snake.

C: 24g seems just fine for a 9 month old snake. I only have two 08s that are over that size, and I feed mine according to the Munson Plan (with my own modifications according to individual preferences/metabolisms/etc). Every 4-5 days on appropriately sized prey items. I don't care if you've been breeding for 24 years or 50 years, you clearly are not using anything 'appropriately sized' if you're putting your one month old corns on fuzzies and small adults by nine months. At a month old, most babies are usually just eating their 3rd or 4th meals, if eating at all (darn those stubborn little ones), and weigh only around 8-10 grams (WAY too small to be eating fuzzies). I strongly believe that you are grossly overfeeding your animals, which will most likely cause health problems and shortened life spans in the long run. I'm surprised you don't have tons of regurges and/or spontaneous deaths in your collection.

D: To the OP, I'm very sorry for hijacking your thread. Back on topic, your snake looks great, fuzzies will be fine, and I'm looking forward to seeing your pretty little one grow up. :) Please keep us updated on her progress.

Jjoherman
05-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Just to clarify...i was never worried about her size compared with her age. Since February, she has almost doubled in her weight and she looks great to me. She eats great and is growing at what i would say is a pretty good rate. I am a first time snake owner but i am pretty knowledgeable about them. I just like to ask if i question myself at all. Better to be safe than sorry right!?

Vinman
05-07-2009, 09:28 PM
A: Spelling and grammar do wonders when it comes to people respecting someone running a business. Many people, myself included, find errors like that to be a major turn off when dealing with a person/company. I don't do any business with companies that have spelling errors on their websites. It is unprofessional and gives a very bad impression.

B: You definitely implied that the 9 month old, 24g snake should be getting weanlings, and in doing so, questioned the OP's husbandry/care of his/her snake by saying that the snake is undersized. That is not what a fairly new owner needs to hear, especially when they seem to be doing just fine with the snake.

C: 24g seems just fine for a 9 month old snake. I only have two 08s that are over that size, and I feed mine according to the Munson Plan (with my own modifications according to individual preferences/metabolisms/etc). Every 4-5 days on appropriately sized prey items. I don't care if you've been breeding for 24 years or 50 years, you clearly are not using anything 'appropriately sized' if you're putting your one month old corns on fuzzies and small adults by nine months. At a month old, most babies are usually just eating their 3rd or 4th meals, if eating at all (darn those stubborn little ones), and weigh only around 8-10 grams (WAY too small to be eating fuzzies). I strongly believe that you are grossly overfeeding your animals, which will most likely cause health problems and shortened life spans in the long run. I'm surprised you don't have tons of regurges and/or spontaneous deaths in your collection.

D: To the OP, I'm very sorry for hijacking your thread. Back on topic, your snake looks great, fuzzies will be fine, and I'm looking forward to seeing your pretty little one grow up. :) Please keep us updated on her progress.

like I told you do what works for you and I do what works for me all these years.:

I never implied that the 9 month old, 24g snake should be getting weanlings.The only person implying anythig is you putting words in my mouth. All that was mentioned was age not weight. Now stop putting words in my mouth This is what I posted

Hallie
05-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Just to clarify...i was never worried about her size compared with her age. Since February, she has almost doubled in her weight and she looks great to me. She eats great and is growing at what i would say is a pretty good rate. I am a first time snake owner but i am pretty knowledgeable about them. I just like to ask if i question myself at all. Better to be safe than sorry right!?

I know you weren't, or you would have asked! :) You do seem very knowledgeable for being pretty new to this. I'm always glad to see when people have done their research.

Jjoherman
05-07-2009, 10:18 PM
You do seem very knowledgeable for being pretty new to this. I'm always glad to see when people have done their research.

Thanks, I appreciate that! This forum has been a great deal of help to me...thanks to knowledgeable people like you!

Jjoherman
06-01-2009, 11:54 AM
I thought that i would update, since Phoenix ate her first fuzzie a couple of days ago! She did great! No hesitation at all! She is such a good girl!
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=268&pictureid=2557

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=268&pictureid=2558

Vinman
06-01-2009, 12:01 PM
FYOI that is not a fuzzy but a lg cralwler it is almost ready to open its eyes and turn into a hopper. Maybe this is why you did not understand what I was trying to tell you to feed her