PDA

View Full Version : Making a cage?

Making a cage?

cathiasplace
05-07-2009, 10:01 PM
So, I got it into my head that I may possibly want to make a cage for my future corns. I was looking at cages on eBay and saw someone selling plans. I've made a couple of DIY projects for my knitting habit, but I've never worked with wood before. I don't really have any tools except for a drill and a hand saw.

I found this link (http://pet-snakes.com/homemade-snake-cages) while looking for other plans on Google. It's definitely something I could do. Has anyone else made a cage like this?

kingwoz60
05-07-2009, 11:59 PM
I've built 2 cages in the last month; one out of plexi and the other out of wood with a plexi front. We have a ball python in the plexi viv and a corn in the wood viv. I prefer the wood way more than the plexi. Heat management is a practical reason, the plexi was way more expensive than wood, and wood is easier to work with. Plus I think that the wood looks much better.

I read your link and that seems easy enough, but it depends on what you want - ease or appearance. I like my tanks to fit in with the room decor, so a plastic tub tank wouldn't do it for me.

You'd need a few more tools to make a decent looking tank, and if your woodworking skills aren't that great, I'd advise against it. But, you could learn and practice. I've had a great time building these cages with my kids and when our boa gets huge, I plan on having my skills perfected to the point where I can build him an awesomely eye-pleasing and practical viv!

cathiasplace
05-08-2009, 08:43 AM
The appearance thing did cross my mind with a plastic tub. :) Though our decor is just a hodgepodge of mismatched stuff anyways. And the cages wouldn't be in the living room area.

I would love to make a wood cage. Perhaps I could do the easier plastic cage for now and attempt a wood cage after my husband comes home. He doesn't do woodworking either, but it may be something fun we could learn together.

Blue Apple Herps
05-08-2009, 09:04 AM
I have the perfect solution: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44019

I designed this cage for people like you in mind. All you really need is a power drill and tape measure (though 90º elbow clamps are handy, with two people you can get away with not having them). Get Home Depot/Lowes to make the cuts for you and you're all set. It isn't hard, and if you take your time it should come out perfect.

Its easy, relatively inexpensive, and I think looks great. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

cathiasplace
05-08-2009, 09:29 AM
I have the perfect solution: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44019

I designed this cage for people like you in mind. All you really need is a power drill and tape measure (though 90º elbow clamps are handy, with two people you can get away with not having them). Get Home Depot/Lowes to make the cuts for you and you're all set. It isn't hard, and if you take your time it should come out perfect.

Its easy, relatively inexpensive, and I think looks great. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Thank you. I saw that thread last night and love the look of that cage. Do you think I could do it by myself? My husband is deployed and won't be home for a few months. :)

Blue Apple Herps
05-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Thank you. I saw that thread last night and love the look of that cage. Do you think I could do it by myself? My husband is deployed and won't be home for a few months. :)

The only part where having two people handy is when you align the sides with the floors. I did it by myself using the 90º elbow clamps, they act as your 2nd person. Other than that its a breeze to build by yourself.

I even have a pdf version available for download on my website in my signature. You can just print it out and have it handy as you go along...

TrpnBils
05-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Melamine is HEAVY though, and if you don't seal it properly, or if the seals degrade over time, it's going to rot from the inside out or at the very least it will swell the melamine.

What I did for a custom cage is use tileboard (shower surround). If you search around online you can find very detailed plans for tileboard cages, but basically you just make two cuts of tileboard for each side of the tank. Use Liquid Nails and 1x1s or 2x2s to make the frame, and then put each side together with the Liquid Nails. It's really simple and really lightweight. I used that plan and made a 8x3x2 cage for my burmese python and it's still doing really well. You'll need to cut a vent in there (I used small 3" round vents from Lowes). The nice thing is that it holds up to heat very well and humidity (although you won't want a ton of humidity for a corn...so go easy on the misting).

Read more about melamine here: http://www.redtailboa.net/forums/caging-housing-reptiles-husbandry-items/41267-ruled-out-melamine.html?highlight=tileboard

Read more about the tileboard cage here: http://www.redtailboa.net/forums/how-tos-tutorials/11196-new-double-arboreal-cage-emeralds-step-step-instructions.html?highlight=tileboard This is for arboreal boids, but it's easily adaptable for corns.