PDA

View Full Version : Is this poop normal??

Is this poop normal??

Phoebeq
05-11-2009, 07:11 PM
I had my Okeetee, Peter, in his container for feeding. Well, after an hour or more of him being in there, I came back to find that he had not eaten and there was a strange looking poop in there with him. This is what it looked like...
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/phoebeq/wtfsnakepoo003.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/phoebeq/wtfsnakepoo001.jpg

So now for a little back story. Peter regurged 4-5 days after eating about 2 weeks ago. I didn't know what it was at first because it was so far digested. So, I didn't think anything of it when I fed him again a few days later. Well, he regurged that about 10 days ago. So, I waited till today and tried to give him a pinky head. He did not eat it. I am wondering if the nasty white poop is because he has not had anything to eat... If anyone can give me any info on this, I would greatly appreciate it. I love this snake already and this is all making me a little nervous :(

danielle
05-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Thats mucus and probably normal since he regurged and his digestive system is a little inflamed right now. After a regurge mine did the same thing and my vet decribed like if we humans have diarrhea or vomit for a prologed time because of that irritation we too would literally poo out our digestive lining. Jaxson pooed like that for probably month on and off, but once he was back to normal and not as inflammed internally this stopped.

Phoebeq
05-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks! I am glad to hear that it isn't a big deal... So, now i just hope he will start to eat for me...

wade
05-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Normal is a really big word. One might wonder about the normality of people who take pictures of snake poop. One might wonder quite a lot in fact.

Phoebeq
05-11-2009, 08:49 PM
I said that the snake poop was normal...not the person taking the pictures :) I never claimed that I was normal :P

Phoebeq
05-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Ok, so I got a second opinion and they said it looked like a possible flagellate protozoan infection. Any thoughts on this and does anyone know what the treatment for that would be. I am thinking a trip to the vet might be necessary, but I am moving in a week and a half so, if possible, I would like to do this the less expensive way. But, don't get me wrong, if needed, I will take him in to the vet...

Nanci
05-12-2009, 12:10 PM
I guess I would order Nutribac from Kathy and start him on that. Wait five days from your attempted feeding and try a pinky head coated in Nutribac. Did you have a number of successful feedings before the regurges? What is your feeding procedure? Is the poo gone, or do you still have it? I ask because you can get a fecal done on it now, if you have kept it refrigerated, because it might be a while before you get another poo to test. With two regurges, you're going to have to be extra careful with him, you really, really don't want to cause a third.

Phoebeq
05-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Ok, here is a calendar of events...

March 27th-bought the little guy, whom had eaten very well while living at Petco for a few months

He ate very well for me, every 4-5 days till the end of April, when, while in shed, he regurgitated a very digested pinky( at the time, I thought it was just funky looking poop).

May 1st, after he shed, I fed him, and he regurgitated again. This is when I realized that the first one actually was a regurgitated pinky...

I left him alone completely for 10 days as that is what I read to do.

May 11th, I tried a pinky head, which he refused...that is when he made the nasty poop.

I did not keep the poop...I went ahead and ordered the nutribac. It should be here in 3 or 4 days. I really hope he doesn't regurge again :( I don't wanna lose him...

Nanci
05-12-2009, 01:00 PM
So it sounds like the regurge was blue-related. That's good. So never feed that snake when he is blue ever again. I don't know why snakes regurge when they are blue, but some of them do. I've had it happen to me with three different snakes now, and I don't feed any blue snake, ever, except sometimes with the lighter snakes that contain amel or hypo it's really hard to tell. Anyway, I don't do it intentionally.

Do you know how much he weighs?

What I would do is this: gather up the smallest pinks you can find. For the first feeding, I would cut a pink in half lengthwise, while still frozen. Thaw one half in plastic wrap, then sprinkle liberally with NB. Freeze the other half for the next meal, in five days. For the third meal, cut a pink in thirds after thawing, and feed all three thirds. Of course put NB on all meals for the next year. I'd do a couple meals of 3/3 pinks, then go to 2/2 pinks, and then on to 2/2 peach fuzzies as the snake's size demands, feeding conservatively until the snake is up to 75-100 grams. When you get to fuzzies, they are pretty disgusting to cut in half, so then I'd slit the back and both sides through into the body cavity. When you get to hoppers, and all is going well, I'd go back to just slitting the back, through the skin. The point of all this slitting and cutting is to allow the digestive juices into the snake without having to eat through the tough skin, and to make smaller sections to be digested instead of one large chunk. When you are feeding cut mice and NB, you will need to gently rinse the snake in room temp after feeding because it will be sticky. Most snakes get accustomed to this very quickly- just another part of the feeding routine.

Phoebeq
05-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Thanks for all of your help, Nanci! I really appreciate it, and I hope this works :) I have been worried about him...

Phoebeq
05-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Ok, so five days later...the nutribac came in today. I cut the smallest pinky I had in half and sprinkled some nutribac on it...he didn't touch it. I know eventually he will get hungry and eat, but how often should I try. Is it ok to re-freeze the pinky halves after he wouldn't eat them? Last time, I just threw it to my fish :) But, that will get kinda costly...

wade
05-15-2009, 07:42 PM
No don't refreeze thawed halves. I would wait 2 or 3 days and then try again. Good luck. It will happen, just takes time.

Phoebeq
05-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the quick response, wade :) Guess that's another treat for my fishies lol :D

MedusaCorns
05-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Normal is a really big word. One might wonder about the normality of people who take pictures of snake poop. One might wonder quite a lot in fact.

Still wonders what it looks like after eating cooked chicken ;)