PDA

View Full Version : Lost and Found

Lost and Found

Sutefu
05-13-2009, 12:53 AM
Alright, so.. I was originally going to post this on here when I lost my baby, but it was too heartbreaking for me to even think about it. Two weeks ago yesterday my boy escaped from his feeding container. Usually I check on him ever five minutes (he eats live fuzzies, but they're too small to hurt him, so it's okay to leave him alone for a few minutes at a time). Well, unlike usual, he went after it right away, and tried eating it..leg first. With little success, so I thought it was okay to go eat dinner, then come back to a fat and happy snakey.

Well, I was wrong. I hadn't pushed the lid down all the way, and he had managed to push the corner up and escape, falling about three feet off my desk with a full stomach. I came back about twenty minutes after I left him to find the box empty, and about had a heart attack.

I'd pretty much given up all hope on finding him. That night I spent about five hours tearing the house apart..he's an 11/12-month-old anery, and could have been hiding anywhere/blending in with anything. Or he could have gotten into the air ducts.

Well today...my cat found him. Alive. He was under my mom's desk, and my cat, the good boy he is, pawed at the leg he was hiding under and meowed until we came and found him. He was cold and in blue, and wow was he angry. ..not that he has any right to be. I was the frightened parent!! Well, I immediately put him in his cage and gave him fresh water, and he drank like there was no tomorrow. I wasn't sure if that was okay, since I know with people if we drink too much at once, even when dehyrdrated, we can get sick.. But he stopped after a couple of minutes and went back to his favorite hiding spot. He has a couple of dinged up scales, but other than that looks good, all things considered.

Here's my important question... I work at Petsmart, and I know we sell a repti-aid that's used for snakes and such who are dehydrated and malnourished. I had to work tonight, so had no time to get him his food... Should I feed him first thing tomorrow, given his condition, or should I try administering the repti-aid instead? I'm assuming it'd be alright to feed him since I know he's starving.. But I wanted to make sure.

Nanci
05-13-2009, 05:12 AM
I wouldn't give him the repti-aid. Just let him settle in for a couple days, and then feed. He's really only missed a meal or two.

MyLittleGuyCyrus
05-13-2009, 09:45 AM
I am not going to answer your question for two reasons.....one I dn't really know what Repti-Aidis and Nanci (who knows FAR more then me) already answered! But, I did want to say I am thrilled you found your little guy! I would be mortified if I lost Cyrus!

Sutefu
05-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Alright, thank you Nanci! I think I was just more terrified that he hasn't had anything to drink in two weeks, And he was acting a little sluggish yesterday, but hopefully things pick up today. I've just been a nervous wreck, and I'm terrified of doing something wrong right after I get him back. :( Thanks again.

scats16
05-13-2009, 01:20 PM
I know how you feel. Herman got out when my nephew didn't put the lid on right. He was gone for THREE months!!!! I had lost all hope of ever finding him. We have dogs and cats so I was sure someone had a good meal, although Herman is a good sized corn and could hold his own. Anyway, One day my 4 yr old said that there was a snake in our guinea pig cage. My first thought was that our other snake had gotten out. I looked and it was him! I was so excited. When I put him in his cage he drank like crazy. After a couple of days I fed him. He was a little thin, but he is now back to his normal self.

Sutefu
05-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Oh, the stuff wasn't called repti-aid....it was Repta-Aid. XD My bad. It's a critical care formula for reptiles and such for dehyrdation/starvation.. But since it's only two weeks, I think he'll be just fine.

scats16 -- That made me feel so much better!! I talked to a guy at work last week whose corn got out (adult) and they couldn't find him, so I had someone to share my sympathy.. But knowing you found yours after 3 months just makes me feel so much better. There's so many ways for them to get outside, and finding them safe and sound is just so much of a relief. Thanks again everyone.

scats16
05-13-2009, 02:11 PM
No problem. They are our babies after all!