PDA

View Full Version : Too many kinks to count. Poor thing.

Too many kinks to count. Poor thing.

bekers71
05-22-2009, 07:36 PM
This little one has been hanging 1/3 of it's body out of the egg since last night. Not backing up when I approach or coming out any further. So I figured it was time for me to intervene and help it on out the rest of the way. No wonder he couldn't get out. This poor thing has so many kinks it's folded like a pretzel. I knew there was no future in store for this little one so snipped the cord that kept it attached to the remaining yolk sac, snapped a few pics and put it out of it's misery. The father to this youngster has always given superb babies in the past and mom is a first timer. The rest of the clutch are healthy and big. There was some mold on the egg that remained during incubation so I am going to guess that had some thing to do with it.

He sure was a pretty little thing too. :(

animalhouse
05-22-2009, 07:47 PM
awww Poor thing! :( RIP Dear baby Snake!
it was a very pretty one too!

Waltz
05-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Poor little guy.

How exactly do you humanely destroy a hatchling like that? Internal decapitation?

tricksterpup
05-22-2009, 08:33 PM
There was some mold on the egg that remained during incubation so I am going to guess that had some thing to do with it.

Bex,
I had the same thing last year, one egg that we didn't think would hatch and sure enough one hatchling came out. But as this one it came out kinked. I agree the mold has a hand in this.

RobbiesCornField
05-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Aw... poor little bugger...

bekers71
05-22-2009, 08:55 PM
awww Poor thing! :( RIP Dear baby Snake!
it was a very pretty one too!

Thank you

Poor little guy.

How exactly do you humanely destroy a hatchling like that? Internal decapitation?

With this little one, after I snipped the cord, he began to get weak. So I sat him in the fridge, not the freezer, so he could get cold and he passed pretty quickly
Bex,
I had the same thing last year, one egg that we didn't think would hatch and sure enough one hatchling came out. But as this one it came out kinked. I agree the mold has a hand in this.

Thanks Jim

Aw... poor little bugger...

Thanks Robbie

dionythicus
05-22-2009, 10:43 PM
That's always too bad to get one like that. I had one in my very first clutch that was tied completely in a knot, there was permanent damage to the lower half of the body. It's so sad.

medusacoils
05-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Poor little snakey! That's too bad. It looked like a very pretty little snake. So sorry!

Wayne

GillianC
05-22-2009, 11:52 PM
:( I'm very sorry to see that. Last year I had my first clutch ever, and the first baby who pipped never made it out of the egg. He/she died for no apparent reason while the rest hatched perfectly. I'm glad the rest of your clutch was healthy, though.

ceduke
05-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Poor little critter, I'm sorry that happened. RIP...