PDA

View Full Version : just getting started

just getting started

prophet
05-30-2002, 05:13 PM
Hello all,
I am brand new to snakes and have decided to start off with a corn snake. I just ordered the corn snake amnual. I am looking for any advice you all can give, as the guy at the reptile shop is an #$% I tell him I'm interested in Starting collecting snakes and ask some questions about the different corns he has and also about rubber boas and he blows me off and goes back to reading his!!!. What size tank is good ? I was thinking about a 30 gallon. What should be in the cage(I know about the 2 hides/water bowl/and substrat but is their anything else?)...basically any help is well welcomed.
Thanks In Advance.

Mike

kenalotia
05-30-2002, 06:08 PM
Hi Mike, I'm sure you'll enjoy your new corn snake. The Corn Snake Manual is a great resource, too. A 30 gallon tank would be good, but a 20 gallon LONG tank is also fine for the entire life of most corns. A regular 20 gallon tank wouldn't be large enough, so you have to make sure it's a long one if you go with the 20 gallon. You'll need a heat source, such as an under tank heater, on one side. I also recommend that you get the snake something to climb on. Corns are semi-arboreal and they love to climb.

If you're wondering about substrates, most people here like aspen. For babies, though, you might want to use newspaper or paper towels, though.

Have fun with your new corn!

Colleen
05-30-2002, 06:31 PM
Congrats on getting a Corn! Ours has been alot of fun. The only thing that I would add to the over post is you may want to get a temp. humid. gage (they sell one that has both for around$15)and a temp control devise. We didn't get the temp. controller for our under tank heat pad and it got the bottom of the tank WAY to hot. With this we can set it on hi-med-low, and not have to woory about him borrowing to the bottom and getting burned.

:D Hope this helps. Have fun!
Colleen

B-J@y
05-30-2002, 08:05 PM
Well, you are really on the right track!! ordering the cornsnake manual!!! this will teach you all there is to know about your beloved new pet!

I'm sure you'll do fine if you follow the instructions in the book!!
If you need any advice just post a new thread on this forum!! many people will give you great advice!! I wil try and give you advice, but other members are more qualifite for this!!

good luck! and have fun!

Alicia
05-30-2002, 08:18 PM
Hi Mike, Getting the Corn Snake Manual is a perfect start. A 30 gal is great. If your snake is small make sure there is no place around the top that it can escape. They are masters of escape! I'm sure your going to love your new snake. Good luck and enjoy.

:) Alicia

lynn
05-31-2002, 05:01 PM
Hi Mike, nice to see someone reading up and asking question's before getting their snake a lot of people just go ahead and don't think about what they are getting into. Just one warning about cornsnake's though, they are seriously addictive, so beautiful and docile.:D :D good luck

kellyjones
06-01-2002, 04:32 AM
Hi Mike. As Lynn says they are addictive. You need to ensure before you get your first tank that you have room for plenty more because that is what will happen. :D But that aint no bad thing. Enjoy your snake (s) and keep coming back to this forum if you have any concerns. There are some great people on here and a lot of combined expertise.

angelbaby
06-01-2002, 08:10 PM
Hi Mike-

I am brand new at corn snakes too! I asked for, and received a beautiful albino corn snake for mother's day (I must have been a good mommy this year!)

Thank you for asking the question I was embarassed to ask but wanted to know. Sounds like most of the replies are right on target. My one thread of advice taken from a recent experiece is this; put one or two pinkies on ice. Recently the local pet store's pinkie supplier flaked. Turns out the flaked supplier is the supplier for all the area stores and all the regulars bought up all the frozen pinkies quick, so alas my albino was left hungry for several long days. But take heart, the corns are hardy critters, my little guy survived! And now we have a spare on ice. But be warned spares only last a few weeks in the freeze!

Have fun and take to heart this truth... Corns are addicting and I am now asking for ANOTHER one, just because I am still a good mommy!

Angelbaby

kenalotia
06-02-2002, 09:21 PM
Actually, frozen mice can last several months in the freezer. Many people buy them in bulk (from a supplier, not a pet store) to save money and put a whole lot in the freezer. As long as they are well sealed, you can keep them for up to six months. I have mine in a large zip-loc freezer bag, then wrapped in newspaper. If you keep them vacuum packed they'll last even longer. :)

LizS
06-02-2002, 10:45 PM
At the Mice on Ice site it says that their unopened vacuum packed mice, packed in a special plastic, remain good for 3 years or so in the freezer. They say the trick is in the type of plastic they use which is not permeable like household plastic baggies, and protects the mice from freezer burn.