PDA

View Full Version : Bulge?

Bulge?

Kanchii
05-23-2009, 03:44 PM
So I fed Cornelius 2 rat fuzzies on Monday. It's now Saturday. Within two days the bulge from his food is usually gone, but I got him out yesterday (Friday) and noticed that it was still there. Not quite as big as right after his feeding, but noticeable. I thought maybe he didn't have enough heat, so I added a bit more since maybe the new hide I got him is blocking out too much of the heat. I also thought maybe he just hasn't gotten enough excersize to pass his waste and that maybe I should go let him climb the tree out back like he loves tomorrow. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I also had a thought. I'm not 100% he's a boy. Could very well be female. Do female corns lay eggs even if they aren't bred? And if so, at what age does that start? Cornelius is a little over 1 year old.

bitsy
05-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Is he due a shed? They sometimes "back up" just beforehand, as the old skin becomes tighter and holds up the passage of waste. If this is the case, you can expect a shed and a full load soon!

As long as the temperature at the warm end is in the mid to high 80s (F), that's fine for digestion. As far as I know, lack of exercise isn't a factor in successful digestion/pooping. My old male is 21 and rarely moves from his favourite hide these days - his system works very efficiently.

Females can lay infertile eggs without being near a male, but they reach sexual maturity at about three years old. It would be very unusual for this to happen aged one (never say never with a Corn Snake though!).

Kanchii
05-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Ok thank you SO much!