PDA

View Full Version : How much Nutribac and what are good supplements?

How much Nutribac and what are good supplements?

LawDog1
05-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Hello all,

We have a stubborn little one we are quite worried about. She regurged (maybe twice) some time back and we began the regurge feeding plan. She seemed to be doing ok, but now she has quit eating and is scary thin. We have been putting Nutribac in her water, but it really doesnt say how much to use. We dont know if we are using so little that its useless or so much its an overdose! Really, I think we are somewhere in between, but knowing a correct amount would be nice. She has been drinking, so we have hope.

Second question: Since Nutribac seems to only strengthen their digestive system, we need to give her nourishment until we can get her to eat again. I have noticed a couple of people here say they have used vitamin and electrolyte additives in the snakes water. What are good supplements?

Someone at a pet store said they have used Nutrical on cornsnakes. It is made for dogs and cats, but they said it has helped bring back some of their snakes that didnt want to eat. Anyone heard of this?

Thanks for any advice,
Jimmy

Cegninedorf
05-23-2009, 06:55 PM
For regurges, I've fortunately had very good luck with just using NutriBac -- I've never had to use other supplements. I asked the same question as you when I first started to use it, out of the same concern, and I came to learn that -- I guess :p -- you can't really OD your snake on the stuff. I've injected the prey (I use frozen/thawed) with it, though primarily I just put some in a bowl and basically roll the thawed prey in it, like breading chicken, I guess. :p I've never had a problem with it being too much.

And, since your snake has been drinking, you could put some in her water. However, the bowl must be emptied & cleaned on a daily basis then -- just add a pinch or so to the water. :)

bitsy
05-24-2009, 06:27 AM
you can't really OD your snake on the stuff
You do have to be careful that you don't use supplements in too high a dose or too often. Their kidneys and liver can only process so much and there is a risk of damage.

Nutribac is a probiotic that keeps their digestive system in good shape, so alternating it with a purely vitamin/mineral supplement as you suggest would be a good move. Here in the UK, our general pick-me-up for snakes is called Critical Care Formula and this goes in their water. I don't know if that's available over the pond?

I've not been able to find Nutribac in the UK, so can't advise on dosage. Seems really odd that they don't state it on the packaging.