• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

back and forth

Traci

I know that the humidity should be between 40-60 percent. I have been having a hard time keeping it in that area. First it was too dry so I added wet paper towels, misting cage, and humidifier. Then after becoming regulated it became too humid. So I dragged out the fan and dehumidifier. Any suggestions? Also how long can the humidity be past 60 to become concerned about respitory problems? Thanks for any info.

Hi Traci, Don't worry about the humidity too much. The only time it really is a problem is if it's too dry (under 40%) when they are ready to shed. When it's time to shed and the humidity is dry put some damp paper towels or moss in the hide or use a plastic container with a hole cut in the lid big enough for your snake to crawl into. This will aid in them shedding properly. If you use a large water bowl some corns will get in and soak when the need more humidity. Humidity is going to change so don't try to keep it constant. When you mist the cage your going to see a sharp rise in humidity and then it will go back down. This is fine as long as you don't soak the substrate. I'm sure your conditions are fine.

:) Alicia

Container with moss

Hey Traci,
Like Alicia said dont worry about the humidity of the entire tank. I keep a small ( depends on the size of the snake ) Plastic container with damp moss in each tank at all times. My snakes come and go as they need. I find at shedding time they spend alot of time there and then shed in one piece. Just keep checking the moss every time you clean the water container to make sure that it is still damp. I hope that this helps.
Jimmy

Back