PDA

View Full Version : Bumps 3 days after feeding...

Bumps 3 days after feeding...

Destani
05-26-2009, 10:43 PM
I take care of 20 corn snakes, and 3 of them, my okatee, my butter and my bubblegum corn, have large protruding bumps. I know this is normal the first day, because obviously they just fed, but it seems three days after they've fed one, if not more of the three have weird bumps- as if their digestive system isn't functioning correctly. It seems, however, when I put a heat lamp on them, two days later the bumps are gone. In may be simple, but it worries me. Any input?

airenlow
05-26-2009, 10:49 PM
If there is a "food bump" that long after eating, my first guess would be that the meals are too big. What system are you using to heat their tanks? Maybe they aren't getting enough heat to digest properly.

RobbiesCornField
05-26-2009, 10:49 PM
If they disappear when you put a heat lamp on them, perhaps they aren't warm enough.

Destani
05-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Well, I own five corn snakes myself and after school I take care of my science teachers snakes while he runs errands. Perhaps the room tempertature is to low.... the school keeps it fairly chilly. I heat the cages with the heat lamps we have in the room. Thanks for the advice. I never thought of that.... it is odd however that the other 17 snakes have no such problem. I'd think the rooms temperature is the same throughout the room, but the three snakes I am referring to are smaller... Hm. Yet again I have 6 yearlings that also do not show these signs, and they are even smaller yet!

airenlow
05-26-2009, 11:42 PM
So, are the heat lamps on all the time? Corns need temps in the 80-85* range in order to digest properly. If they are just kept at room temp that is probably the cause of the bumps that long after eating.

If the heat is on all the time, maybe those few need to be kept a little warmer than the others just to help them digest better.