PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like a respiratory infection?

Does this sound like a respiratory infection?

DiscipleRayne
05-27-2009, 03:02 AM
I've looked over all the symptoms and am having trouble coming to a conclusion. I've had my snake since last October, and I think I've done pretty good with the guy. He's around 4 feet long now. He's not what I would call "not active" at odd times he'll get up for hours at a time and climb around the cage happily. But ever since I got him, every now and then I hear a sound that sounds like a possible 'sneeze'. It's /very/ rare, and come to think about it, it seems like it only happens around the time I feed him. He has not exibited any other symptoms that would make me believe he has a RI, but I'm still a little worried. No mouth gapping, wheezing, listlessness, mucous ect.

Do I have a reason to be worried?

Also, he eats very willingly.

sfaoldguy
05-27-2009, 03:26 AM
Personally, I don't think you have anything to worry about since it doesn't happen very often. Just like us, snakes sneeze sometimes. If you are still unsure, take him to a vet. It is better to be safe than sorry. Make sure the temps are right in his enclosure with a proper gradient. Also check the humidity and ensure that his substrate isn't wet.

snakewispera snr
05-27-2009, 03:35 AM
I would agree with the above post... I must stress though, I am no vet, and would need to see the snake to be positive.
But it doesn't sound like an RI from your description.

Tracee
05-27-2009, 05:14 AM
Could it be a hiss, even? They sound so cute when they do that :)

Would also agree that it doesn't sound like an RI, but keep an eye on him and if you see anything else amiss, get him down to the vet. I'm sure he's fine though.

RobbiesCornField
05-27-2009, 07:36 AM
Sometimes, my snakes make a sound like a sneeze when they're striking at me.

Other than that, it could just be a little bit of dust that got kicked up during feeding. It doesn't sound like anything to worry about because the "sneezes" are so few and far between.

GillianC
05-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Well, I had an amel hatchling last year that died within a month of being purchased from what I was pretty sure was a respiratory infection. Whenever she breathed I would hear a popping sound, and she seemed to be breathing more heavily than the rest of my hatchlings when I handled her. As for the "sneezing", I hear my gecko sneeze all the time. (Well, not multiple times a day or anything, but it has happened.) I wouldn't put it past snakes to be able to sneeze as well.

I hope that helps a little.